Risk v Reward ... 8 rookie midfield team!

Started by SilentBob, March 23, 2012, 08:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilentBob

Trying something a bit different, somewhat inspired by Impromptu's articles on his webpage.

Trying the 8 rookie midfield, with guns elsewhere on the park.

Remaining Cap: $10,900

DEF: B Goddard, B Deledio, H Shaw, B Houli, D Heppell, P Duffield, B Lake, B Ellis, T Bugg

MID: S Coniglio, C Wingard, D Smith, D Shiel, T Ledger, J McDonald, J Magner, H Cunningham

RUCK: D Cox, S Mumford, J Giles, J Redden

FWD: L Franklin, N Fyfe, S Johnson, D Martin, D Zaharakis, R Nahas, D Hale, J Paine, A Hall

Thoughts?? Am I crazy?

Jake8

Pkbaldy

Have fun in bottom place...Rather you have a full backline of Rookies...

SilentBob

Quote from: Pkbaldy on March 23, 2012, 08:48:09 PM
Have fun in bottom place...Rather you have a full backline of Rookies...
Really?
Which rookies are more likely to score bigger points? Midflielders, where the ball is most of the game, or in the backline, where the ball only spends a smallish amount of game time??

There's also trades to happen to the team during the year ...

CatAttack9

Interesting choice, don't expect many points early in the year but it could really pay off later if some of them make some serious money for upgrading.

Ringo

This not as silly as it sounds.  When I did some analysing and with some minor tweaking could be handy. If you were to downgrade one of your mid price prems to a rookie in each line and upgrade another to a prem you would have a team containing 13/14 definite premiums.  Requiring probably only 16/18 trades to finalise final 22. Will leave 6/8 trades for injuries and finals.
You just need to ensure you have maximum scoring rooks in mids so you can upgrade quickly. Also trades with this strategy will be extremely important.
Rucks are set and forgot.
Basically a risky strategy which may pay of handsomely if all goes to plan.

Not game to rate because of all the possible variants but he who takes risks may benefit more.

The Supercoach

ill be honest

houli heppel duffield lake nahas and hale ....

this team wouldnt be the best if it had a swan pendles ablett judd murphy boyd midfield. lol ok maybe it would  :P, but with a midfield like that u dont wont these other sort of players. Not a bad idea with all the rookies though

SilentBob

Quote from: The Supercoach on March 23, 2012, 10:38:07 PM
ill be honest

this team wouldnt be the best if it had a swan pendles ablett judd murphy boyd midfield. lol ok maybe it would  :P, but with a midfield like that u dont wont these other sort of players. Not a bad idea with all the rookies though
I must admit I'm not entirely sold on the backline ... but am a fan of Nahas & Hale. Nahas has been racking up points fairly consistently since the middle of last season & looks good in the pre-season & Hale has been racking up points with extra time in the ruck with Bailey & Roughhead out injured & did OK last season when most of his points were from his work in the forward line ...

What would you change in the backs to improve the team??

And yes, making the right trades at the right times will be necessary, although a lot of the lines are pretty much set already ...

CyclopZ

I will be honest - this is a first... i personally don't have the balls to do it but it would make for an interesting season to see how someone would play this side.

SilentBob

Quote from: CyclopZ on March 24, 2012, 12:10:24 AM
I will be honest - this is a first... i personally don't have the balls to do it but it would make for an interesting season to see how someone would play this side.
I'm doing it as a bit of an experiment, but my main focus is on DreamTeam, where I have a more 'normal' looking starting side.
One advantage of using this method is that its pretty clear where all the upgrades are happening & there's no chance of going for the wrong upgrade target position (though obviously you can still pick the wrong player to upgrade, or bring in the wrong player), and in some ways it reduces the risk of getting things wrong ... though you do of course need the rookies to score decently (which I think most of the mid rookies can) & hope that the captain (most likely Cox or Franklin) can pump out big numbers as well!

fever

ill be honest

pretty much this (except lake). hate these players as your "guns". i'd like to downgrade two on each line and replace them with a rookie and an actual premium.

also an 8 rookie mid wants caddy over wingard.

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,52561.0.html

SilentBob

Quote from: fever on March 24, 2012, 12:59:19 AM
ill be honest

pretty much this (except lake). hate these players as your "guns". i'd like to downgrade two on each line and replace them with a rookie and an actual premium.

also an 8 rookie mid wants caddy over wingard.

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,52561.0.html

I'm open to suggestions in the backline, but like the idea of Nahas & Hale in forwards as I mentioned earlier in the thread.
What changes should I make to the backline? Bring in a Clarke as B7 (for Duffield) & go ultra-premium rather than Houli & Heppell? Something else??

As for the Caddy--> Wingard idea, where do I get the extra $50k to go for Caddy, who is a little above the 'high pick rookie' because of a few games late last year??

bkp130

I am doing this with one of my teams to mate except i have one premium midfielder and the rest rookies.

im going with the risk factor to we will see how it goes i guess

waxedvag

Mate to be honest this is the most gay team i have ever seen.

What you are saying has no logic best case scenario all your rookies average 80 but you have shower backman who will max score 90/100 points a week but normal teams will have coniglio + ablett swan + 3 other premiums which will just destroy your 5 rookie midfield.

Just look at the averages and you will understand exactly what i am saying Goddard  B Deledio, H Shaw will average out with most teams but your  B Houli, D Heppell, P Duffielld vs my hargrave m clark t bugg vs  your coniglio wingard smith vs my ablett swan dal santo who wins

me 70% of supercoach players

charliesheen

Who's going to be your captain each week?  It's not what the rookies average in isolation, its the differential between the premium & rookies in each classified positions.

With premiums like Ablett, Swan, Pendles all capable of pushing 130, you get far bigger differentials in the mids now days, especially with teams pressing up the ground.

IMO, this is not the year to go rookie heavy in the midfield.  Wingard has show very little in the preseason to justify his price tag.  His junior stats were not exactly ball magnet stuff either.  Neale will likely miss round 1.  D.Smith does not justify a midfield spot.  H.Cunningham plays more as a defensive forward.

Personally, I think the depth this year is in the rucks.  If you are adamant on taking the "all or nothing" approach I think the 4RR is the way to go.

There's a difference between taking a calculated risk and a risk just for the sake of being unique.