Tanking 13 theory - fine tuning needed please.

Started by tor01doc, March 18, 2012, 10:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tor01doc

League only. You guys are all too good for me to even consider beating. Plus I have a car already.

Plan is to lose round 13. Donuts in that round only. No sideways trades needed.

B: Goddard / Scotland / Fisher / Newman / Birchall  -  Ellis / Morris / Darley / Bugg
M: Ablett / Murphy / S Mitchell  -  Caddy / Clifton / C Smith / Magner / Kerridge
R:  McEvoy  -  Giles / Redden / Stephenson
F: Buddy / Fyfe / Chappy / Rioli / Martin  -  D Smith / Cameron / A Hall / Weedon.

So will get Lids (when he drops, which he will), Shaw and one of Broughton / Bock / Adcock - finish backs.
So will get one Pie (Pendles (once he drops, which he will) or Swan or maybe both) / Selwood / one of NDS / Boyd / Rocky or whoever is flying - finish mids.
So will get Cox once he drops, which he will - finish rucks.
So will get Goodes, SJ, Pav and one other - finish forwards.

And have trades to burn come finals time. Figure I'll have 8/10 top B's and F's, 7/9 top mids and 2/3 best rucks for finals.

Anyone see a serious flaw?

Ringo

Only Injuries and suspensions!!!
Seriously though Tor you are playing the game correctly using the strategy I use. - You have a final team in mind and will be trading to get that team and using 14 prems from taht team to start regardless of byes. Only difference I personally would have is I would not have prems on pine I would hold cash and then trade when needed by upgrading rookie on bench. Just personal though.

So based on this strategy good team with 14 prems if you count Martin and Birchall. 12/14 trades required to get to your final team leaving 10 trades for finals all being well.  This allows for plenty of contingencies as well.

BoredSaint

looks good

DEF: newman an interesting pick.. is up and down a bit but usually pretty reliable

MID: I like sam mitchell. very underrated prem and pretty unique too

Rucks: i dont really like it cause i dont think mcevoy will continue his form from last year with kosi filling in and also stanley possibly getting games in the ruck. would prefer a mumford/cox/sandi

fwds: chappy is a very good pick :D

brutal

no complaints!  would have structured it differently myself, but that is of course just personal.  interesting choices of unique prems in rioli, mcevoy and newman - probably worth taking the risk if youre comfortable with them.  personally i dont see rioli getting 22 games in, but he ll probably prove me wrong

my only half-concern would be the rucks, really, especially if im right in assuming the early upgrades will be to the midfield.  it will be at least a while before you can finish your rucks, and even then, will mcevoy and cox stand taller than mumford or sandi and cox?  maybe im being too critical, but this would be one of my only real criticisms

like the choices of mitchell, fisher, birchall and chappy.  could turn out to be useful pods depending on what happens early.  interested to see that youve chosen caddy as well - something that i have been thinking about a bit lately

all looking good from where im sitting

MacPack

Love the Tanking Theory ! :)

A very interesting well thought out approach

Injuries as always will cause you to adjust on the way.

Choice of Mitchell is practically a unique looking at all the teams on this forum.

Personally I would have Cox from the get go. It will be very intersting to see if Cox Swan and others have the post bye rest as in Arizona. This may mess with your timing to get them depending how long they are away.

Chappy and Rioli in the foward line may pay off early if their Hammies etc hold up.

Overall very sound strategy, you may loose a few games early against guys that have fully loaded with Prems up front ( Talking the Boyds. Pendles Swans Coxes)

We all can use a new car now and then  :D

Big_Cox14

You've given the tanking 13 theory a lot of thought and have a clearly mapped out idea in mind to get 22 premiums on the park by the end of the season. Having 14 premiums is good as you've got contingencies in place for any LTIs that could happen to any player in your team. You could have some monster scores in rds 11 & 12 when other teams are spreading the player lines across the byes.

tor01doc

Thanks guys,

So COX in for McEvoy.

Any thoughts on whether Bock will be top 8 defender by end of year.

NB Don't care about his suspension as league only.

Getting excited now.  :P

ben_020285

You're going for league and you have a game plan so I can't fault your player selections.

I'm not a fan of the 1/3 ruck structure from the start but it does seem very popular these days so who am I to judge?

This team will destroy teams in leagues aside from round 13. Look at that backline!!

Nice work mate.

tor01doc

ben_020285,

I wish we could have just another lousy $250K. Then all our troubles would be over. 2 premiums rucks and wooshka we're off.

Going to have to cop one line being weaker to start. I started with Cox / Mummy but that makes one other line a lot worse on the eye.

Also 3 vs 4 mid premium is similar.

Best of luck.

JimMundy93

I Love different ways to play this game and yours is the absolute best for league
Apart from a miracle from someone elses team youve got yourself 2 outta 3 wins for a really crappy 3 round block

and the team really looks solid, bock is a gun however he is going to be played forward more often and that could end 2 ways, firstly seeing as gold coast are one of the best centre clearance teams in the AFL he could get alot of first entry ball which could result in contested marks and goals and big scores
However when a forward is not getting good deilivery his scores get destroyed, but hopefully when that happens bluey McKenna will move him back to defence

Really good looking team mate! 8.5/10

enzedder

Solid looking team.
Would'nt change much but if going the rookies in ruck, Cox gives more guarantee of the big points in case your selected rookie ruck stinks it up.

GlassHarmonium

Like the look of this team, acouple of unique picks i havent seen in many sides such as S.Fisher, Newman even Rioli hasnt featured that much. I also like the fact you have thought out your trades - i may take this on for my own side.

The only real criticism i have is 1 rookie ruckman on the ground - it has never worked for me so am trying to avoid it this year but it could pay off and you'll be laughing.

Good rookies & premiums honestly wouldnt change much if i was you!

tor01doc

Quote from: tor01doc on March 18, 2012, 10:36:26 PM
League only. You guys are all too good for me to even consider beating. Plus I have a car already.

Plan is to lose round 13. Donuts in that round only. No sideways trades needed.

B: Goddard / Scotland / Fisher / Newman / Birchall  -  Ellis / Morris / Darley / Bugg
M: Ablett / Murphy / S Mitchell  -  Caddy / Clifton / C Smith / Magner / Kerridge
R:  McEvoy  -  Giles / Redden / Stephenson
F: Buddy / Fyfe / Chappy / Rioli / Martin  -  D Smith / Cameron / A Hall / Weedon.

So will get Lids (when he drops, which he will), Shaw and one of Broughton / Bock / Adcock - finish backs.
So will get one Pie (Pendles (once he drops, which he will) or Swan or maybe both) / Selwood / one of NDS / Boyd / Rocky or whoever is flying - finish mids.
So will get Cox once he drops, which he will - finish rucks.
So will get Goodes, SJ, Pav and one other - finish forwards.

And have trades to burn come finals time. Figure I'll have 8/10 top B's and F's, 7/9 top mids and 2/3 best rucks for finals.

Anyone see a serious flaw?