Mid Price Mid

Started by Alto, March 15, 2012, 10:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto

Peoples,

thinking of going for a mid priced mid this year (aim is to get to 350-400k ASAP to upgrade as either will be my 4th mid) and cant decide between Kane Lucas or John McCarthy? Concerns over Lucas being the sub and am leaning towards McCarthy as I am thinking he will average more than the bluebagger. Thoughts please

nathan11

Ringo

Prefer Prestia to Bennell

acroyale

I have been thinking about this strategy aswell, every year players go from a 70-85 average to 100+ (Cotchin, Rockliff, Redden & Josh Kennedy to name a few). These players have reasons as to why they have jumped but people are reluctant to pick them because they dont end up top 10 midfielders (Rocky noted exception). This year with the byes these players are valuable because you can trade them during the bye period and hold them till the bye round.
Players that I am contemplating in addition to names already said:

L Anthony
R Palmer
B Ebert
A Gaff
D Armitage
E Curnow
S Hill
T Scully

This would be the season to take a risk on this type of player...

mpollock

Best bets in my opinion:

Hogan ... closer to rookie price however then mid price

Masten - just about a lock based on preseason form
Parker from Sydney ... wish i could fit him in
Caddy - potential superstar ... if he can stay fit ... 60+ in a half last week in NAB

ScoreGasm

I currently have Josh Caddy from GC as my 5th midfielder. He has played well during NAB Cup and as stated previously is a future superstar of the competition. I have also considered Kane Lucas from carlton as he has had a ripper pre-season and they are expecting big things from him this year.

Alto

Thanks for the comments guys, interesting food for thought, currently I have Pendlebury, Ablett, Selwood, $341800, Caddy, Conligio with Magner & Couch as emergencies, the theory is that as quickly as I can get the mid 4-6 positions up to 350k I should be able to upgrade to premiums. I am content with Caddy & Conilgio but cant decide on mid 4, most likely will add Gaff to this list however he is short of a run in the pre-season, maybe roll the dice on Lucas and keep the 120k in the kitty which will be handy.

dmac07

Im not going any mid pricers in the mids, but I like the look of mccarthy, will play a larger role at port than many of the others will at thier clubs.

enzedder

Quote from: mpollock on March 16, 2012, 01:41:30 AM
He's the one.

demon_spud

Quote from: enzedder on March 16, 2012, 02:49:30 PM
Quote from: mpollock on March 16, 2012, 01:41:30 AM
He's the one.

Funny reading his fan footy stats page and the comments.  Has he completely turned around, his DE seems to say he's a lot more accurate.  I remember last year I was all over JPK after his form in the NAB, only went up 10pts average, didn't field him though through my gut feeling.  Will Masten break further?  With Embley aging, is Masten now stepping up? Or should I just risk it on a rook I have no idea if he's playing.....(look sideways at Neale and Magner)

Also thoughts on Brodie Smith?  Is his body big enough to compete in the midfield.  Issue is rnd 11 bye and currently fielding Lake and Hargrave.

brownmans muffins

Quote from: acroyale on March 16, 2012, 12:26:28 AM

L Anthony

I had totally forgotten how much of a gun this guy was when he burst onto the scene...I reckon I was considering him last year even. Doesn't seem to be rated as highly as the new regime (?)