Finally considering 3 rookie rucks ... Redden could be the key .. please rate!

Started by mpollock, March 12, 2012, 12:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpollock

Getting close to a lock ... if I have the nerve to play 3 rookie ruckman ...

B: Goddard, Scotland, Shaw, Birchall, Hargrave, Ellis, Darley (Bugg, Yagmoor)
M: Ablett, Boyd, Thomas, Redden, Hogan, D.Smith (DPP) (Miles, Gibson)
R: Cox, Redden (Giles, Big O)
F: Franklin, Fyfe, Martin, Sidebottom, Dangerfield, Cameron, Bruce (Smedts, Hall)

Some risks:

B: Hargrave
M: Hogan (although no more risky then a premium rookie), No Swan/Pendles.
R: 3 rookies obviously is a risk ... counter balance this a little with Cox - I think at least one of Giles or Redden will fire
F: Sidebottom. Dangerfield - both should have breakout years

Every year i play safe and finish within the top 1000 ... I have pushed the top 100 once as well.
This year I need to take some gambles and see what happens ... could finish 5000 or top 20!

Please rate ...

My alternative side would be guns and rookies something like this:

B: Goddard, Scotland, Swan, Birchall, Ellis, Morris, Darley (Bug, Yagmoor)
M: Ablett, Swan, Boyd, Selwood, Shiel, Miles (Magner, Gibson)
R: Cox, McEvoy (Redden, Giles)
F: Franklin, Fyfe, Martin, N.Roo, Cameron, Bruce, Kerridge (Smedts, Hall)

Which one is better?

quinny88

Look at it this way..
Team A backs will score slightly better than team B (maybe 40 better a week)
Team B mids will smash team A mids
Team B rucks will smash team A rucks (plus you dont have to worry about it all year)
Team A fwds have an extra prem so will win that area (however it is dangerfield so who knows)

I like team B risk free and tou can forget about rucks and your mids for a while and look to build on frwd and back

johnnytheboy1

Backs the difference between Team A defence to team B is not great but enough  Hargrave will score more points than Morris will.
Mids: The Difference is Swan v Thomas & Selwood V Redden who will score more points  I would say team B
Rucks: Team B Rucks are far better because it has 2 premiums whereas team A has one. Also can Redden score more than Mcevoy each way i would have to say no.
Fwds: Team A has far more depth and will score more than Team B

Overall team B is Better because it has the better Midfield although i wouldn't have Shiel in the team.

mpollock

Thanks guys.

So basically both of you are GnR fans and set and forget men when it comes to rucks.
No doubt team B ... or some form of GnR is the safer option ...

Will it win my the car however ...

Ringo

Differ from the others though - Reason Team B is stronger than Team a is structure.
If in Team A You went a 3 mid 3 rook structure downgrade Reddan to Caddy/Lucas or Rookie
You could then upgrade Mids to Ablet Swan and Selwood. Upgrade Cameron to Porps and depending on cash upgrade  Hargrave to Heppell, Broughton or Adcock. 

If you save on some lines you need to strengthen others.  At the moment I am looking at 1 prem 3 rook strategy and here is link to my team still not satisfied but not much more I can do at the moment, You will have to go to the last pages as i have been maitaining the one thread as you can see.
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,44626.0.html

tor01doc

Tricky call this.

I prefer B, but is there no one better than Cameron Bruce you can select?  ;)

Ruck set and forget makes up for the other differences and will save you a trade or 2.

Both teams pretty strong though.

mpollock

Cameron Bruce ... haha

I am a hawks fan but not touching that bloke ... hopefully the GWS Bruce will be a winner anyway!

I have three teams at the moment ... a GnR ... a 2 ruck rookie and an even team with some potential breakout candidates like Hargrave, Sidebum and Danger ...

I think most people have consider these three structures ... really hard to split the teams ...