Things we have learnt from Round 2 of NAB

Started by Capper, March 03, 2012, 11:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FonFatty

Things that I learnt this week.

Magner & Couch will be part of Melbournes plan for round 1 and beyond, forget this Moloney & Trengove talk, these boys will be there beside them, plenty of room there, guys like Blease, Bail, Bate will be making way for them, well fighting for positions with them.
Jarrad Boumann can play and will play early for the hawks, he along with Schoenmakers will be taking the talls from the opposition whilst Stratton and Gibson play loose / third tall. Gilham might not break back into the hawk side if Boumann plays the way he did today. Just his athletic ability and the poise he had when in possession really impressed, top pick up for the hawks IMO especially with their leaking defence.
Shaun Burgoyne will be in for a big year this season, players usually peak when they're into their third season at another club, he has been exceptional  for the hawks in his first 2 seasons but I have a feeling he will explode this year, will go back into the middle with Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell and really repay the hawks for the faith they had him in when they gave up a couple of early picks for him. Looked quick amongst the kids today.
Marty Clarke looked really slow and not quite right to me, I know it was his first hit out for a couple of years & also coming back from a niggle but I am not that confident that he will be that player that everyone assumes he will be, I can see him being in and out of the side and also a green vest candidate on numerous occasions. He could be the Cam Richardson off last year  :-\
I didnt get to watch the other games today, I will continue my assessment if I get to catch those games.

meow meow

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Ringo on March 04, 2012, 12:43:46 AM
Quote from: Colliwobblers on March 03, 2012, 11:59:53 PM
magner will line up round 1, lock him in eddie, 24 years old and just what the dee's need a hard honest attacking footballer, he is everything the new direction is about, and ofcourse trengove (captain) and Moloney, line up ahead of about everyone else.

I think nicholson will be one of the otehr two rookie promotions he is a hard tagger they also need, so question is dee's people, who will be the third?

also, in the ade/bri game, the usual suspects proved thier worth in a losing side redden/rocky
dangerfield dominated, but didnt have to share the midfield with thomo
porps scored 50ish in a half of footy
golby put his hand up for our mid priced defender position with a ton off half back, but thats adcocks position/role now isnt it
Nothing like putting your hand up to be noticed - Will put the pressure though on Hanley and McGrath for a spot across HB lines. Adcock will be safe.  Now starting to get some depth across positions.

absolutely adcock will be safe, my point was can Golby score so well with Adcock there running the ball out of the back half.

We keep seeing all these players who are starring in the Nab Cup, the thing to keep in mind, didcuss and consider is "how will they each go when and if they are part of thier team at full strength?"

Ringo

Quote from: tabs on March 04, 2012, 12:47:24 AM
Quote from: Ringo on March 04, 2012, 12:43:46 AM
Quote from: Colliwobblers on March 03, 2012, 11:59:53 PM
magner will line up round 1, lock him in eddie, 24 years old and just what the dee's need a hard honest attacking footballer, he is everything the new direction is about, and ofcourse trengove (captain) and Moloney, line up ahead of about everyone else.

I think nicholson will be one of the otehr two rookie promotions he is a hard tagger they also need, so question is dee's people, who will be the third?

also, in the ade/bri game, the usual suspects proved thier worth in a losing side redden/rocky
dangerfield dominated, but didnt have to share the midfield with thomo
porps scored 50ish in a half of footy
golby put his hand up for our mid priced defender position with a ton off half back, but thats adcocks position/role now isnt it
Nothing like putting your hand up to be noticed - Will put the pressure though on Hanley and McGrath for a spot across HB lines. Adcock will be safe.  Now starting to get some depth across positions.
Ringo, Did you see the game?? Goose and Golby got alot of ball tonight Ringo, was the ball in the Lions HB most of the match??
There was a live feed on Lions TV which I watched on my small monitor so a bit hard to give full report.  You are right in your assumptions that ball was in the Lions half majority of the night and with Golby playing the Adcock role obviously shone. Also Hanley was rested who also assists in that area. Maguire had a point to prove after his training Collision with Brownie.

bomberboy0618

Sloane was suitably quiet for my liking. Didn't scream pick me, just started slow and ended with a healthy score.
Sidebottom with 44 in a half, looks a good pick.

North Melbournes Finest

H Mac didn't start slow at all, he had the fanfooty "Sun" next to him the whole game. He started the game with 7 disposals in the first quarter lol. If you got that wrong not sure how many others are ill informed as well.

TheMailman

The thing I learned was that people take way too much into these Nab cup matches.

Teams experiement!
There are like 50 players being subbed on and off from both sides!
Players are being rested!

The matches IMO are still a long way from looking at a real game of footy. Obviously you look to Nab when it comes to picking rookies but does everybody remember Richardson's Nab cup scores? And people all of a sudden seem to think Leunburger has gone backwards after being subbed off at Halftime?

Jay

I have learnt that I get sucked in to picking players like danger and porps very easily :D

Ziplock

to be fair mm, leuen was given a spanking in the ruck by mckernan and jenkins :P

PICCOLLO

That Giles/Stephensen bench combo isn't a lock.  Redden looking pretty good.

Jay

Quote from: PICCOLLO on March 04, 2012, 12:39:13 PM
+1

SonsOfZeus

everyone buys into the hype but 8 out of the top 10 will be in the same position again this year.

my .02 rucks are going to be tough to choose do you go 2 prem or 1 prem 1 mid

burgoyne looks better thanb last year

magner is a lock. if moloney and trengove come back he will still start in the mid. bate,dunn,morton all donks they can easily find room for him

alot more rookies to choose from than last year. do you go cognilio/other high pricers or go the lower priced rookies

bomberboy0618

3RR ftw. Redden/Jenkins could both fill the 4th ruck spot.

Torress

Quote from: tabs on March 03, 2012, 11:44:27 PM
Quote from: FactHunt on March 03, 2012, 11:43:02 PM
Just watched the melb v pies game... I too liked the look of Magner, he seemed to be everywhere. He will be a popular pick.
I also like the look of Couch again, but have they got room for him in the side when Trengove and Moloney return?
Heater was solid. Pendles played a very strong first half (as to be expected), and Howe to some ripping grabs!

Good to know, if couch and MAgner play well, will the Dees drop them for Trengove and Moloney returns??

Magnet magner to slot straight into the possie left by tom scully. boom! locked

Capper

Quote from: bomberboy0618 on March 04, 2012, 01:23:23 PM

3RR ftw. Redden/Jenkins could both fill the 4th ruck spot.
im thinking more along the lines of Giles, Redden on the Ruck bench.

IS anyone that is starting Giles considering starting Redden instead and having Giles on the bench