Alarm Bells!!! Magpies may rest like Cats.

Started by BGK, February 24, 2012, 07:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGK

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/arizona-a-good-option-for-dane-swan/story-e6frf9jf-1226279914704

Just a little alarm bell ringing in my head. It may be hard to load up on Pies and Cats this year if they will rest at some stage.

nostradamus

l was just reading the herald-sun and saw this article....got on to post it but saw you already had. lt makes me wonder whether swan/pendles are better upgrade targets now......aaaarrrgggggg!!!!! so confused

BGK

Quote from: nostradamus on February 24, 2012, 08:47:59 AM
l was just reading the herald-sun and saw this article....got on to post it but saw you already had. lt makes me wonder whether swan/pendles are better upgrade targets now......aaaarrrgggggg!!!!! so confused

This sort of crap really doesnt make our lives easier. This strategy may start to play a bigger part in football teams plans.

n00bsauce

Quote from: nostradamus on February 24, 2012, 08:47:59 AM
I was always going to use them as upgrade targets. IMO they are terribly over priced and are bound to come down. Swan won't be able to hold at nearly $600 000

nostradamus

Yeah swanny's been a lock from day one for me......but if he has a 2 or 3 week break around bye time, that would have a huge impact and throw our structures/plans out the window

yorgis

so what does that mean? you're not going to get them and miss out on 120 points every week [plus captain],

because they may get rested? please do it , better for us that hold him

Billz

Scott Watters has the same plan for the saints this year too. will be something that is going to go across the board of most teams threatening for top 8 id say. http://www.truesainters.com/truesainters/showthread.php?149-Resting-Riewoldt

jabroni

rodney eade alluded to the fact that more clubs this year would be adopting the cats strategy after thier strong showing last year

nostradamus

Quote from: jabroni on February 24, 2012, 12:10:44 PM
rodney eade alluded to the fact that more clubs this year would be adopting the cats strategy after thier strong showing last year

yeah l think its going to become alot more common, just another unwanted variable for us all

mezzoculo

Heard Ratten say somthing similar before Christmas, too.

[rant]
Gotta say though, I'm getting the dinstinct impression that clubs are jumping on apparent 'trends' without really putting in much research. There could be any number of contributing factors to Geelong's success last year but clubs seem to be jumping on the easiest one to implement. This is based upon a sample size of ONE. Surely it would be more prudent to put a little more thought and consideration into this.

Another example was the clubs' protestations over the sub rule in 2011. Apparently the rule had produced an increase in soft tissue injuries and collision-type injuries. As the rule had been in place for less than one season there was insufficient data to actually test this claim. I guess it was easier to blame a new rule than to, I dunno, reduce the number of rotations made per game?

Grrr. This topic really gets my goat.  >:(

[/rant]

nostradamus

Quote from: mezzoculo on February 24, 2012, 12:28:11 PM
Heard Ratten say somthing similar before Christmas, too.

[rant]
Gotta say though, I'm getting the dinstinct impression that clubs are jumping on apparent 'trends' without really putting in much research. There could be any number of contributing factors to Geelong's success last year but clubs seem to be jumping on the easiest one to implement. This is based upon a sample size of ONE. Surely it would be more prudent to put a little more thought and consideration into this.

Another example was the clubs' protestations over the sub rule in 2011. Apparently the rule had produced an increase in soft tissue injuries and collision-type injuries. As the rule had been in place for less than one season there was insufficient data to actually test this claim. I guess it was easier to blame a new rule than to, I dunno, reduce the number of rotations made per game?

Grrr. This topic really gets my goat.  >:(

[/rant]

..... li like the [rant]  ;)

nostradamus

but seriously though........l think its more to do with the sports science aspect than them all jumping on the same bandwagon

truBLUE

Quote from: yorgis on February 24, 2012, 11:28:46 AM
so what does that mean? you're not going to get them and miss out on 120 points every week [plus captain],

because they may get rested? please do it , better for us that hold him
agreed, not worth missing on major points for the sake of a week or two  :P

mezzoculo

Quote from: nostradamus on February 24, 2012, 12:32:22 PM
but seriously though........l think its more to do with the sports science aspect than them all jumping on the same bandwagon
Well, we aren't privvy to the inner workings of the AFL clubs, but you would want to make such high impact decisions as resting match-winning players based upon firm evidence. Not just a single instance which may or may not be due to multiple, unrelated factors.

Windigo

It's bound to happen. Just got to live with it.