Why Ivan Maric will Breakout in 2012

Started by Jacka33, February 22, 2012, 10:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacka33

Here is my post about why i think Ivan Maric will be the best pick up of 2012 for Supercoach.

last year at Adelaide he had to compete with Sam Jacobs, who has clearly now become the number 1 ruckman there, hence Maric deferring to Richmond for this year. Last year Maric was used sparingly in the ruck and was often played as tall forward which is not his dominant position.

In Maric's last 2 seasons he has averaged 66.6 (2010) and 69.3 (2011)

Now lets look at Richmonds last 2 seasons,

During this time the main ruck has been from Angus Graham, who is not rated highly by many people and will be struggling to even play this year because of his poor form. Even from this his average scores for the last 2 seasons have been 69.8 (2010) and 75.9 (2011).

Why did he manage to get scores higher than Maric, who is already clearly a better Ruckman, 1 reason, Graham was the No.1 Ruckman at Richmond, a position that he will now be vacating for Maric who will be able to finally breakout this year because of it.

If one thing has become clear in the last few seasons of Supercoach, it is that Ruckman who are pure number 1's are Supercoach GOLD, and if you dont believe me, look at last season's examples.

Todd Goldstein - without having to compete against H-Mac his average went up from 65.7 in 2010 to a whopping 113.1 in 2011.

Shane Mumford - in his last 2 seasons with new Club Sydney his average increased from 53.2 with Geelong in 2009, to 92.5 in 2010 and a huge 112.5 in 2011.

Ben McEvoy - Enjoyed a great breakout season in 2011, increasing his average from 63.4 in 2010 to 101.2 in 2011, mainly yet again to having no competition in the ruck with Gardiner only managing 1 game for 2011, as opposed to doing most of the ruckwork in 2010 in the 19 games he played.

Zac Smith - although he has no previous seasons to compare with, its pretty safe to assume he managed a great average in his first season of 2011 of 78.15 due to playing the number 1 Ruck role most of the time.

There are other examples out there but these are the main 4 that i have found.

Does anyone have any reason why this can't be the case for Maric, who is a steal in 2012 at only $338,300

post you thoughts below.

Update: 29/4/12,

As i have predicted he is doing very well this season, not too alte to jump on him guys.

Mozza3

Jacobs was only at the Crows last year, in 2010 Maric was number 1. I don't think Maric is in the class of those other mentioned ruckmen so I can't see him pushing 100+. He'll be servicable as a fill in for an upgrade but I don't think he'll prove a keeper.

CrowsFan

Good argument, except your very first sentence (ignoring you saying here is your post) is wrong. Jacobs has only been at the Crows for 1 year. In 2010 Maric was the number 1 ruck ahead of Griffin.

He is a good tap ruckman but does nothing around the ground to help out. Even if he is number 1 at Richmond I doubt he will average 80+ and so no point getting him at all in my opinion

Jacka33

thanks for clarifying my mistake, it has been changed, i still think he is a very good pick-up for 2012.

ando_10

a few good points there mate i still dont have the guts to pick him though haha.

yorgis

ruckman take longer to evolve and i reckon maric is relishing the opportunity he has. he looked as though his groundwork

has improved immensely but i don't think he's going to be mcevoy, mummy, luey this year [maybe next] i rechon he'll be

a bit like the ol jamar

4INAROW

yeh i may look at him next year when he's settled at the tiges and had a year to get used to their gameplan...losing!

Jacka33

I don't think a player would need a year to settle, this will be the year he breaks out not next year.

Bruizer81

He will not be in front of -
Cox, Sandilands, Mumford, Leuy, McEvoy, Jacobs, Smith

So why choose him?

Hmac at 25K more will outscore him

Jacka33

H-Mac will not be scoring more than Maric, in fact my argument already shows why only number 1 ruckman get good scores and i believe that will be Goldstein's role this year.

also in the first nab cup game between Richmond and North. Goldstein had 4 hit outs, Macintosh got 3 hitouts and Maric got 12, still think Macintosh will do better?

Justin Bieber

He might go alright. Ae around 80. I recon Giles is a better choice.

Ziplock

that's 9 points difference... or 3 kicks. Or a goal. Hmac resting forward every now and again means he'll probably be picking up goals here and there, esp. considering most the focus would be going onto players like harvey, or petrie.

ftr- petrie + goldy, petrie was also ruck listed and still averaged in the 80s. Maric might average around the 70s as first ruck, but Hmac is a proven 80+ performer.

Jacka33

If graham averaged about 75 last year do you really think that Maric is worse than Graham, he will at the very least average over 80 this year.

Ziplock

he might be a better ruckman, not necessarily possession getter?

Jacka33

Ruckman getting more possessions often comes down to how the team they are in use the Ruckman around the field, Adelaide never helped him out and Richmond has got a good midfield and all talks and signs point to the club giving him a great rap, this can do nothing less than help increase his possessions.

I have weighed up the risk and the reward and with Maric's skiill and i believe he will do great,this is my personal opinion, if you don't want to get him then i'm not going to force you, i am merely trying to help show everyone someone who i feel will be a great unique pick of 2012.