Main Menu

Greatest indigenous player of all

Started by FactHunt, August 06, 2009, 02:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Lance

Buddy should be an option to, 1st indigenous player to kick 100 goals in a season. He still has some way to go to catch the greats though, my vote goes to Mcleod, pure skill and consistent and loves the big stage.

jr0ck88

I think you'll find that JEFF FARMER is the greatest indigenous player of all time :D

All jokes aside, the man gets no credit for being one of the 'pioneers' of maybe the most important aspect of modern football -Forward Pressure. How many times did we see his chase downs from the forward pocket? Slowly teams started to follow suit and play multiple quick small fowards who were there to defend as well as kick the odd jammy goal.  Now, every player that plays forward of centre has to have the Jeff Farmer mindset (chase, tackle and pressure, not assault bouncers and spouses) or they arent worth their spot inside that 50m arc.

Polly Farmer, Stephen Michael, Adam Goodes.

valkorum

Surely its a no contest - Polly Farmer.  Bloody hell, we named a road and tunnel after him here in Perth

Graham Farmer Freeway
Polly Pipe

ossie85

Big_Cox14

QuotePeter Matera deserves a mention

Yeah, the '92 Norm Smith medallist definitely deserves an honourable mention. He did kick 5 goals in the Eagles first ever premiership playing on a wing against the Geelong captain. I still think that Polly Farmer was probably the greatest indigenous player of all time. But there are many honourable mentions of players which have already been mentioned in this thread. 

bunyip

There are some great players mentioned here, but I'm sure if you asked THEM, almost all would say Polly. :)

Prospector_1

Quote from: Prospector_1 on August 06, 2009, 03:46:49 AM
Pastor Sir Douglas Nicholls, without any shadow of a doubt. (Deep down in their hearts everyone barracks for Fitzroy.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Nicholls

Pastor Sir Douglas Ralph "Doug" Nicholls, KCVO, OBE, (9 December 1906 - 4 June 1988[1]) was an Australian Aboriginal from the Yorta Yorta people of the Murray river region of New South Wales and Victoria. He was a professional athlete,; a pastor and church planter with the Churches of Christ in Australia Christian movement; and a pioneering campaigner for reconciliation.
He was Governor of South Australia from 1 December 1976 to 30 April 1977, when he resigned due to poor health.

He played Australian rules football. He was recruited by the Carlton Football Club in the VFL but did not play because of the racist attitude of the other players with the notable exception of Haydn Bunton who befriended him at the time.[2] From there he played for the struggling Northcote Football Club (now Richmond Central Amateur Football Club) for five years and was a member of their 1929 premiership team.

In 1932 Doug joined Fitzroy Football Club where he was the first Aboriginal player to be selected to play for the Victorian Interstate Team in 1935. Knee injuries forced him to retire in 1939, and he was back at Northcote as a non-playing coach in 1940 .

Polly Farmer's knee also deserves an honourable mention.

Just thought I'd drag this one back up, as I just watched a show on the great man, and discovered that Nathan Lovett-Murray is Pastor Sir Doug's great grandson! Go you good thing.

EAGLE4LIFE

Justin Bieber

I'm suprised Goodes is still number 1 in the poll :o. He's had a few big achievements, but his impact on the game itself isn't as big as a few others.

nas

The poll does not do justice to other players mentioned previously ie > Polly Farmer

Justin Bieber

I think Winmar and Wanganeen deserve more than a 0 votes here :o.

Think you could reset the poll Pros?

Bluke

Boomz

nas

: naste  : 19 September 2010, 19:34:38 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Farmer

Graham "Polly" Farmer (born 10 March 1935)[1] is a retired Australian rules football player and coach. Born in Western Australia, he joined the East Perth Football Club as a ruckman in 1953, where he won several awards and contributed to the team winning three premierships. He was recruited to the national VFL league in 1962 for the Geelong Football Club, where he played 101 games and captained the team for three seasons. Farmer returned to Western Australia and became the captain/coach of the West Perth Football Club in 1968, leading the club to premierships against East Perth in 1969 and 1971. After retiring as a player, he coached Geelong, East Perth and Western Australia's first state of origin team.

Farmer is an official Legend of Australian rules football, and he revolutionised ruckwork and handballing. The Graham Farmer Freeway in his hometown of Perth is named in his honour.

Career Honours
Australian Football Hall of Fame: Legend (inducted 1996)
Teams of the Century (all as first ruckman)

AFL Team of the Century
Western Australian Team of the Century (as vice-captain)
Indigenous Team of the Century (as captain)
East Perth Football Club Post-War
Geelong Football Club
West Perth Football Club
Premierships

East Perth: 1956, 1958, 1959
Geelong: 1963
West Perth: 1969, 1971
League Best and Fairests

Sandover Medal 1956, 1957 (ret.), 1960
Club Best and Fairests

East Perth: 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1960, 1961
Geelong 1963, 1964
West Perth Football Club: 1969
Simpson Medal 1956, 1959, 1961, 1969 Miscellany

Represented Australia in "The Galahs" Australian Football World Tour 1968

GoldDigger

Quote from: freezer on August 11, 2009, 02:13:37 PM
Goodes - two brownlows, premiership player, co-captain, will play 300 games. Revolutionized the big man running game, won't see many better. I am biased being a Sydney supporter, but pretty much seen every game of his and he is unbelievable at times.

How about 350 games down the track, eh?