Which GWS players?

Started by Hoggyz_a_legend, February 19, 2012, 03:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggyz_a_legend

I am keeping two spots in all lines (not ruck) for GWS players.

With their 1st NAB Cup games out of the way, which players would you choose to fill the spots in each line?

At different times i've had: Def- Tomlinson, Mohr, Bugg, Darley. Mid- Clifton, McDonald, Shiel, Miles. Fwd- Hampton, Smith, Adams, Treloar.

Colliwobblers

D: bugg / darley
M: clifton / shiel - tyson if you want to splash the cash.
F: hampton - tomlindon if you want to splash the cash. cameron will play every game but as a FF wont score great, treloar is the otehr you want but we havent seen him yet.....

Talisman

As a general rule, I try to steer clear of key position players - with the notable exceptions of players like Buddy, Pav & Goodes - all of whom are very, very mobile & roam far & wide, playing as pseudo-ruck rovers half the time.

As a more specific rule, I do not pick KPP rookies!! Especially after the likes of Dixon, Day, T.Lynch, May, etc. from GC last year (not to mention useless Shaun McKernan!!) had averages in the 30's & 50's - terrible.

DEF: Therefore, Tomlinson is a definite no for me, and I would be wary of Mohr as well - might be ok, but I doubt he'll score as well as smaller rookie options. Out of those 4 I would go Darley 1st - no doubt as he looks and sounds the goods - and Bugg 2nd (I'd though look at Ellis/Morris/Docherty/Brown elsewhere 1st). Darley's 2011 NEAFL ave was 90 (five 100's), whilst Bugg averaged 76 (one 100).

MID: Much harder to pick & in fact I have 3 GWS players here (Clifton, McDonald & Shiel). I think if I had to rank them, based on what I've seen & heard, I would go: 1. Shiel, 2. McDonald, 3. Miles, 4. Clifton (not great last night again to Dogs). 2011 NEAFL averages: Shiel = 124, Miles = 119, Clifton = 104.

FWD: Of those 4 - Hampton -> kicks + goals = SC gold. Possibly Treloar. 2011 NEAFL averages: Hampton = 106 (incl. 5 100's in his last 6 games), Treloar = 82.

Of course, the most important GWS player SC-wise to have (& I'm sure everyone will) is Giles - this year's Zac Smith.

I think there are 2 lessons we can learn from GC last year, that relate to GWS this year:
1. Lots of rookies = lots of rotations & lots of games missed by rookies. Therefore, don't go GWS crazy & have most/all of your rookie spots filled by GWS youngsters - pick & choose the best.
2. Mature-agers are the way to go - look at Sam Iles & Danny Stanley - played 16 & all 22 games & averaged 73 & 78 respectively. A lot of the younger players saw fewer games & less game time - averaging less & playing fewer games.