3 gun, 3 rook mid?

Started by thatguy, February 17, 2012, 05:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatguy

With news of barlow having leg soreness im seriously contemplating simply going with a 3 Gun (Swan, Ablett, Jelwood) 3 rook (Mcdonald, stevens, miles/shiel, and 2 others) and loading a fwd line to the like of chappy, buddy, goodes, martin, sidey, j brown & porps.

its either that or i run with a 4 gun mid and change sidey/porps.

too fraught with danger with 3&3?? i dont want Lenny or any other midprice mid

Spite

Quote from: thatguy on February 17, 2012, 05:07:49 PM
With news of barlow having leg soreness im seriously contemplating simply going with a 3 Gun (Swan, Ablett, Jelwood) 3 rook (Mcdonald, stevens, miles/shiel, and 2 others) and loading a fwd line to the like of chappy, buddy, goodes, martin, sidey, j brown & porps.

I've been saying this for a while, but people don't like it. Go with your gut, I am going 3/3 :)

Turkies

I think I'll be going 3/3 too. Right now I've got 3/3, and if i wanted to get another gun mid, i'd have to downgrade 2 mid/def prems, to 1 rookie 1 mid pricer, just to get another premium mid. and i dont really want any mid pricers (cept lake, and even he isnt set in stone)

TMurphBROWNLOW

Quote from: Spite on February 17, 2012, 05:55:56 PM

I've been saying this for a while, but people don't like it. Go with your gut, I am going 3/3 :)

me too, midfield is where you make the most money!

Kuruki

Quote from: TMurphBROWNLOW on February 17, 2012, 06:11:57 PM

Well actually if you look at the facts Midfield is not where you make the most money. Last year Def and Mid/Fwd dpp were much more successfull then pure Mid rookies. Dont always beleive what you hear from the masses, sometimes you need to look at the facts with your own eye's and then wonder why the myth is still being spread.

Holz

3/3 is ok for league but for overall i think you need a stong engine room. If i take out barlow i will be going 4 super guns, at this stage i have super premiums and barlow and JZ. But if barlow goes down im going to go Ablett, Swan, Selwood, Gibbs

Spite

Quote from: Holzman on February 17, 2012, 06:44:02 PM
3/3 is ok for league but for overall i think you need a stong engine room. If i take out barlow i will be going 4 super guns, at this stage i have super premiums and barlow and JZ. But if barlow goes down im going to go Ablett, Swan, Selwood, Gibbs

I don't like it when people say this! It's not true at all!

Started with 1 gun (swan) and 5 rookie mid last year in a test team for fun and finished 2.4k. AND started in the top 2k for the first couple of weeks!

Quote from: Kuruki on February 17, 2012, 06:19:56 PM
Quote from: TMurphBROWNLOW on February 17, 2012, 06:11:57 PM

Well actually if you look at the facts Midfield is not where you make the most money. Last year Def and Mid/Fwd dpp were much more successfull then pure Mid rookies. Dont always beleive what you hear from the masses, sometimes you need to look at the facts with your own eye's and then wonder why the myth is still being spread.

+1, you sir, are very reasonable and correct.
However; I am not convinced that this year in particular, that there are MANY good value players in def/forward and therefore you may need to get in an extra premium in both position because there aren't just enough good rookies.
But that's the gamble isn't it! :)

Holz

Spite you look at most teams in the top 100 in the first 8 or soo weeks and basically all of them had 3 110+ players. Sure its possible to do well with a rookie mid, but i think its harder.

Kuruki

Yep every year throws up something different. The only point im trying to make is dont always llisten to people who will knock your tactics because they fall outside the DT rules of thumb.  i think they are given way too much credit, and i often see people making changes to teams they have thought hard about, because someone reminds them it falls outside the DT rule. I always try to encourage people who have taken a different route because you never know it just might be the winner.

Holz

its a decent strategy but for me i dont think there is that much value in the mid only rookies. Most of the decent ones are overpriced and in GWS. I see more value in the rookies who can be picked in the forward, back or ruck division and mid pricers like brown, chrsitenson, waters, grimes, hmac.

Plastic Boy

Lenny Hayes presents as a value pick for me, Barlow is looking like another Nathan Brown situation, could be an issue all year so I'm staying away.

3 guns (Ablett, Pendles and Rocky, then Hayes as a potential keeper/Upgrade to Swan option).

TMurphBROWNLOW

Quote from: Holzman on February 17, 2012, 07:46:48 PM
its a decent strategy but for me i dont think there is that much value in the mid only rookies. Most of the decent ones are overpriced and in GWS. I see more value in the rookies who can be picked in the forward, back or ruck division and mid pricers like brown, chrsitenson, waters, grimes, hmac.

but this year there isn't an absolute abundance of gun gun backs or rucks! midfield rooks are proving to be the hardest ones to pick cuz there are just so many of them that can do well! :)

stew42

Quote from: TMurphBROWNLOW on February 24, 2012, 05:46:18 PM
Quote from: Holzman on February 17, 2012, 07:46:48 PM

but this year there isn't an absolute abundance of gun gun backs or rucks! midfield rooks are proving to be the hardest ones to pick cuz there are just so many of them that can do well! :)

That *might do well...

I reckon only two or three of the GWS mids or mid/fwds will be good enough this year

PowerBug

My mids currently sit at 3 super premo's, a smokey i wish to not reveal, and the rest cheap rookies. So i say there's nothing wrong with having only 3 premo mids. :D

nostradamus

Quote from: PowerBug on February 24, 2012, 05:58:58 PM
My mids currently sit at 3 super premo's, a smokey i wish to not reveal, and the rest cheap rookies. So i say there's nothing wrong with having only 3 premo mids. :D

Post it here PB.....l won't tell anyone  ::)