Main Menu

Proving people wrong again

Started by TheMailman, February 13, 2012, 12:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMailman

Ok I'll bring this up because I'm sure it comes once every year.

Scrolling through predictions, I once again can't fail to notice so many people putting the Swans outside the eight once again this year.

I'll post a article that agrees with my view down below, but I'll digress.

Counting now, the swans have had the least amount of people picked in the top 10 of the national draft of the last 10 years (Mcveigh and Rohan) and in that time have gone into the equal most finals with 8 (equal with collingwood)

This tells you that the swans aren't merely scraping into the top 8 and picking up picks 9 or 10, but they're consistantly doing well. Mainly due to their fantastic rotational and recycling scheme. Some say the Swans are too old. Sure, they may be near the top when it comes to average age but is an average of 25 years old really that bad? That shows experience to me rather than age.

The Swans also managed to beat last years premiers Geelong at Skilled Stadium and only lost to Collingwood by 6 points. Its not as if their draw is awful. Playing GWS twice and Carlton, Hawthorn, West Coast and Collingwood only once further strengthens my point. Add to that the inclusion of Armstrong, Walsh, Morton, Mitchell and you have a bigger team

Which begs the question, Why are the Swans going to drop THIS year?

http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/news.htm?action=handleNewsArticleById&id=122973&listRetrievedBy=TEAM&listId=33

Cicjose

They aren't in fact they look better if say a ROK or Goodes goes down with Sam Reid Tom Walsh to replace them if they go down

Rohan TDL Jetta plus the draftees through the midfield if anyone goes down

Walsh and Morton are good for roaming through the forward lines

in the intraclub they gave Jesse White a role down back along with Armstrong so there are a number of faces who dont get regular games who can slot into the lineup in most positions

Pyke could ruck if he gets in

there is a lot of depth all over the park

they will make the finals again and i think they could make the top 4 if they play well in the last 8 rounds

Colliwobblers

Well said, I don't think the Swans will drop at all, unless a couple of the stars go down in key positions. I think what has the Swans being predicted down the ladder is simply the fact that people are rating rising clubs UP the ladder and bumpong Sydney down. I don't think they are thinking about it then thinking it through.

Clubs like Adelaide and Richmond being included in the 8 has to push someone out, the question is even if (and they will) those clubs improve Brisbane also and the suns will it be enough to better the swans? I think not, not this year maybe next year.

A lot of clubs are on the rise but a few are on the decline too. What Sydney does very well is brings in recycled players from other clubs and makes them work like the other club never could. The list is long but I'll take the obvious one in Mummy and you Sydney boys can list the MANY MANY others the swans have traded in and made work for the club/game plan.

I have Sydney finishing between 6TH and 10TH. A lot can change in a season for the clubs around them and themselves. All going well they will make the 8 yet again.

Ziplock

you're flowered if goodes goes down.

no offence, but just saying :P

Cicjose

why? if Goodes plays at CHF

wouldn't Jesse White or Tom Walsh move into that position?

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Ziplock on February 13, 2012, 12:39:22 AM
you're flowered if goodes goes down.

no offence, but just saying :P

mmmm or mumford? Sydney is hanging in there but not muc hcan go wrong or it will hurt, but if it all goes right..... top 8. I like mitchell and walsh coming through tho

Ziplock

I think they can survive without mumford.

but deadset, they lose goodes and it'll be a train wreck lol.

although you can say that of a lot of teams, freo gets boned with sandi, wce suck when cox doesn't get up, gc have nothing without ablett

oddly enough, the only teams that dont *really* have this problem are the ones right at the top, or port adelaide, who suck so much that if someone goes down, they can just grab a 12 year old kid from the sidelines and IMPROVE their team.

burnt.

Colliwobblers

harsh, pfieffer will tear it up for port this season BOG every game, but hang there is gray and hamish and boak and the skipper, did i miss any?

Ziplock

with gray and harletts perma injuries have they ever even been on the field at the same time :P

you missed ben jacobs. Will carry port for the next couple of years. Then leave and go to GWS cause he's sick of their showerness. :P

elephants

Quote from: Ziplock on February 13, 2012, 12:51:45 AM
I think they can survive without mumford.

but deadset, they lose goodes and it'll be a train wreck lol.

although you can say that of a lot of teams, freo gets boned with sandi, wce suck when cox doesn't get up, gc have nothing without ablett

oddly enough, the only teams that dont *really* have this problem are the ones right at the top, or port adelaide, who suck so much that if someone goes down, they can just grab a 12 year old kid from the sidelines and IMPROVE their team.

burnt.
We all have one of these stories I'm sure :P

*Shocking call. I apologise :)

Ziplock

I made the cox pun on purpose :P

elephants

Bahahah thanks for the set-up then Zip :)

SydneyRox

I figure the swans somewhere from 4th to 8th. There is plenty of room for improvement, not just from the new guys. People like Grundy and Reid who were thrown in the deep end last year when Bolton and Bradshaw went down will have bigger years. Our spine actually looks pretty good while still having plenty of youth and room for improvement.

I also dont agree on the Goodes comments, I think he is our most important player for sure and the one we would miss the most but the team as a whole is getting to the point we would cover him in most areas. Goodes biggest asset to the team is he is a nightmare to match up on and can switch positions at will, there are hardly any players that can go with him from Mid to Fwd and hold him down. This has been the same for a few years now also, before he left, the person we could simply not do without was Jolly, but Seaby mad a fantastic cover for Mummy when he was out last year, so that isnt an issue anymore.

SydneyRox

Also, just wanted to add in reference to the article. We only earnt the one trade (McVeigh) through ladder position, the other (Rohan) was given to us by Collingwood for Jolly.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: SydneyRox on February 13, 2012, 02:47:00 PM
Also, just wanted to add in reference to the article. We only earnt the one trade (McVeigh) through ladder position, the other (Rohan) was given to us by Collingwood for Jolly.

Can we swap back rohan going to tear it up this season i reckon....

But i guess we need jolly, unless you want to give us cox LE ? u can have one of our elite midfielders, we can't fit them all on the field at once anyway hehe  :P