John Butcher ???

Started by Constellation66, February 12, 2012, 11:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Constellation66

John Butcher certainly looks like a fantastic talent from the few games he played last year; including a haul of 6 late in the year. The question is, is he worth the punt at $285,100 ? It's a awkward price, but anyone else thinking it could be a worthwhile pick considering surely he'd be a regular in that side? Apparently he kicked 4 goals in an intra-club match recently too. Or do people think his price is too awkward and better off picking a guy around $130,000?

Kenny27

Very risky pick for mine mate.

You would have to rely on him getting a bag of goals in a very ordinary side each game to even get close to scoring 100

McRooster

Remember those six goals he kicked were from six kicks too  8)

I have him in my fwd line.

theta

Kinda hard for him to create decent scores if port cant get it into their forward line.

ubeaut

Quote from: theta on February 13, 2012, 12:40:35 AM
Kinda hard for him to create decent scores if port cant get it into their forward line.
That there is the issue. If he played for a top team he'd be in my side for sure.

coolfugitiv0

"Port might have a viable key-forward option in former Victorian John Butcher, 20.

In an intra-club scratch match behind closed doors on Friday, Butcher kicked four goals in the first quarter in an impressive hit-out."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brendan-fevola-prefers-yarrawonga-over-port-adelaide/story-e6frf9jf-1226269097388

Constellation66

Quote from: ubeaut on February 13, 2012, 02:17:27 AM
Quote from: theta on February 13, 2012, 12:40:35 AM
That there is the issue. If he played for a top team he'd be in my side for sure.
Well, he kinda did have a few decent scores in a few of his 4 games last year.

On the upside with him is:
- Port couldn't play any worse, so hopefully he would only improve as would the supply
- Scored highly from not too many possessions already, room for improvement
- He'll most likely be the go to man and key target up forward (Shulz is his only competitiion and Westhoff is more of a roamer than a key target)
- Should play every game injuries aside

Downside:
- Awkward price; it's not high, but you'd need some return on him
- Could lack supply
- Could struggle with the extra attention of the best backman
- Will he score highly enough to be worth it?

It's certainly a tough one.

Gooner

I expect he'll improve on his average, however I wouldn't pick him for a few reasons.

Firstly, he's a full forward, so his scoring is inconsistent and depends on his accuracy and how much of the ball he gets.  Secondly, I can't see him getting a heap of the ball with Port's midfield improving but still not up to scratch and finally, he's had some issues with injuries which adds to the risk factor and makes him a no for me.

yorgis

butch no doubt, barring injury and poor form, will get plenty of game time. full forward spot is his for the taking,

however he would need to get lots of ball his way to get a decent dt score. he's a great mark and looks like his

kicking for goal has improved dramatically since he arrived here. had he been at a rookie price, his selection would

have been a no brainer. but alas, i don' t think he will be seeing that much of the ball week in, week out to warrant selection