The frigging bye

Started by StuL, February 09, 2012, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuL

Does anyone else think that the bye is going to be a complete debacle this year? I think they'll have to learn the hard way to change it for next year. How is one extra trade going to cover for losing a 3rd of your team? Averages will suffer, good selections will be meaningless when they're all out, so it will stuff up everything.

I'm thinking we need to talk to the people who run the comp and have some sense prevail. Just make it like EPL and those 3 weeks you have a wildcard and can make unlimited changes for players who are byed out. Easy. You'll only be able to make changes within the amount of cash your team is worth and everyone will be in the same boat so there's no unfair advantage.

The Hankstars

yorgis

all you need to do is start the season on rnd 1 and we all have byes in 11,12,13

Bluesman

Yep, agree with either of those - anything except what it currently is!  ::)

penskifile

Quote from: Bluesman on February 10, 2012, 09:06:50 AM
Yep, agree with either of those - anything except what it currently is!  ::)

+1

fidou

You can have the best strategy in place in round 1 and then forced trades up to round 10 will put a spanner in the works. So perhaps reverse it by having no strategy in round 1 and put your best team in and through the forced changes up to round 10 start correcting the in balance and hope you get close to it.

Cheers (ziggy frued)

upthemaidens

Quote from: StuL on February 09, 2012, 11:21:20 PM
Does anyone else think that the bye is going to be a complete debacle this year? I think they'll have to learn the hard way to change it for next year. How is one extra trade going to cover for losing a 3rd of your team? Averages will suffer, good selections will be meaningless when they're all out, so it will stuff up everything.

I'm thinking we need to talk to the people who run the comp and have some sense prevail. Just make it like EPL and those 3 weeks you have a wildcard and can make unlimited changes for players who are byed out. Easy. You'll only be able to make changes within the amount of cash your team is worth and everyone will be in the same boat so there's no unfair advantage.
well theres no unfair advantage,  we all know the rules,we all have to deal with it. i dont see that as being unfair... there will be an element of luck,but that like every year. no matter how well u select a team u still need to not get unlucky..
  i like the challenge, bring it on i say...

StuL

Quote from: upthemaidens on February 10, 2012, 07:03:18 PM

well theres no unfair advantage,  we all know the rules,we all have to deal with it. i dont see that as being unfair... there will be an element of luck,but that like every year. no matter how well u select a team u still need to not get unlucky..

Oh well maybe I'm a fussy perfectionist. It's not unfair to anyone but it with randomness into the competition which ruin the integrity of it. You could technically have a champion team and then get beaten by a hack in the bye weeks down to dumb luck, but we'll see i guess. I just have a feeling they will have got it dreadfully wrong. .

Ziplock

Quote from: StuL on February 11, 2012, 12:31:47 AM

Oh well maybe I'm a fussy perfectionist. It's not unfair to anyone but it with randomness into the competition which ruin the integrity of it. You could technically have a champion team and then get beaten by a hack in the bye weeks down to dumb luck, but we'll see i guess. I just have a feeling they will have got it dreadfully wrong. .

^^

league wise it's a disaster. Unless you're a hack, in which case you have a shot at beating some decent teams :P

upthemaidens

Quote from: Ziplock on February 11, 2012, 02:28:40 AM
Quote from: StuL on February 11, 2012, 12:31:47 AM

^^

league wise it's a disaster. Unless you're a hack, in which case you have a shot at beating some decent teams :P
i dont understand that, if you cant make the top8 just because of the byes, then you dont have much of a team anyhow.  so i dont see how the byes really matter, seems to me people are just coming up with lame excuses to why they dont win before they even lose...

Ziplock

maybe not top 8, unless you have a really evenly matched league, but for instance last year in my league difference between 1st and 5th was only like 1 win or something.

Not being in the top 4 because of bad luck of the draw could really suck. For instance, you could be structuring your team for overall and have an even amount of players missing the bye. However if in round 11 you come up against someone who's got a shower structured team for the byes, and therefore have almost no round 11 players, you could lose pretty easily. Then in round 12 you could come up against the same situation, same in round 13.

For closely contested leagues it's just going to be shower. For overall, it's a pain in the ass, but even at least.

nathan11

Quote from: Ziplock on February 11, 2012, 03:02:17 AM
maybe not top 8, unless you have a really evenly matched league, but for instance last year in my league difference between 1st and 5th was only like 1 win or something.

Not being in the top 4 because of bad luck of the draw could really suck. For instance, you could be structuring your team for overall and have an even amount of players missing the bye. However if in round 11 you come up against someone who's got a shower structured team for the byes, and therefore have almost no round 11 players, you could lose pretty easily. Then in round 12 you could come up against the same situation, same in round 13.

For closely contested leagues it's just going to be shower. For overall, it's a pain in the ass, but even at least.

for a closely contested league i doubt you would have the shower constructed teams that you fear sure in some random public league might happen but in a competitive league  all teams would have some sort of bye structure.  only thing i dont like is ithere are people making teams for these rounds to win the weekly prize and they will succeed

Ziplock

a closely contested top 8 though, or top 4, with a generally showerty league?

I'm not saying it's likely, but it's possible and it'll definitely happen to some unlucky soab this season.

StuL

I guess I'm a snob but it hadn't occurred to me Mr Maiden that the bye could cost a possy in the 8. I was in the 8, mostly the 4 in all my leagues last year so I guess I just expect to be in the 8. But it may cost a win, that's enough to give me the s**ts.

Ziplock

I think I'll be quite comfortably in my main leagues 4 even if I lose 3 matches due to the byes.

but do you know how annoying it is when shower DTers beat you on a fluke, and then hold it over your head? so flowering aggravating!