North RUCKS

Started by Swallow12, January 28, 2012, 02:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swallow12

Hopefully helps a little  :)

North Melbourne players filled two of the top five positions in the ruck last season; Todd Goldstein in 2nd and Drew Petrie in 5th. Both enjoyed career-best seasons however, coaches won't have the luxury of Drew Petrie as a potential selection in the rucks in 2012.

Majak Daw
Position: Ruck
Price: $104,200

2011 Average: N/A
Career Average: N/A

Verdict: His exploits in the VFL during 2011 saw Majak Daw take out kangaroos.com.au’s Play of the Year and he is drawing ever closer to a senior debut.

If he does manage to earn a senior spot in 2012, expect him to be one of the most selected players competition-wide.

He hasn’t been a high possession winner at the Werribee Tigers, but his rapid improvement suggests that aspect of his game could quickly increase.

Todd Goldstein
Price: $491,600

2011 Average: 99.38 from 21 games
2010 Average: 74.86 from 21 games
Career Average: 76.1 from 58 games

Verdict: Last season Goldstein arrived on the AFL scene; the absence of Hamish McIntosh meant he had to shoulder the ruck load single-handedly. The spectacular results mean he’s now regarded as a premium ruckman, and with good reason.

McIntosh’s return could potentially see a decrease in Goldstein’s scores with less time in the middle but on the other hand, it may make him an even bigger danger as an agile resting forward.

There aren't many better options for a starting ruckman this season than the newly re-signed Goldstein.

Ben Mabon
Price: $104,200

2011 Average: N/A
Career Average: N/A

Verdict: With 2012 looming as another development year for the promising Mabon, he may struggle to get game-time behind both Goldstein and McIntosh.

Mabon will be hoping to get some regular minutes under his belt in the VFL having had an injury-interrupted run last year.

With great agility for a big a big man, he continues to flourish and could be an option in future years.

Hamish McIntosh
Price: $273,500

2011 Average: 79 from 1 game
2010 Average: 80.5 from 20 games
Career Average: 74.8 from 98 games

Verdict: McIntosh has been the North Melbourne player most Dream Team enthusiasts have looked towards for a price tag after his 2011 season yielded just a single game.

His $273,500 salary is low enough that depending on your strategy, he can be drafted straight into your team with plenty of upside.

McIntosh should be given every chance to re-establish himself in the senior side and at the very least, presuming he is selected by coach Brad Scott, he should increase in price enough for an upgrade to a premium mid-season.

http://www.kangaroos.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4912/newsid/128083/default.aspx

stew42

For the love of God, DON'T PICK DAW!!!!
Mabon I've never heard of, won't get a game.
Goldy is defintely #1 ruck at NM...
... but has competition in HMac and Petrie (who will still do some tapwork in the fwd 50, despite what DT says  :P) Goldy probably won't be a resting forward, as Petrie has that position.
I wouldn't pick any rucks from a very diluted NM side, but if you want a mid-priced ruck (why???  :o) then go H-Mac

Swallow12

I think Petrie is worth considering, with Hmac taking 2nd ruck Petrie will be free in the FWD line where he scores most heavily.. Will average more but may be more inconsistent..

me

why is there so little love for goldy? everyones jumped all over berger and mumford but goldy should lift even more this year, he'll still do most of the rucking and probably drift all over the ground like dean cox

Holz

Quote from: stew42 on January 28, 2012, 03:31:45 PM
For the love of God, DON'T PICK DAW!!!!
Mabon I've never heard of, won't get a game.
Goldy is defintely #1 ruck at NM...
... but has competition in HMac and Petrie (who will still do some tapwork in the fwd 50, despite what DT says  :P) Goldy probably won't be a resting forward, as Petrie has that position.
I wouldn't pick any rucks from a very diluted NM side, but if you want a mid-priced ruck (why???  :o) then go H-Mac

you might want a mid price ruck, as you dont know who will be the top 2 rucks this year and the bye is creating problems with alot of the good options round 11 bye players.

if you go hmac and say mummy. If it turns out stephenson is playing than you can upgrade hmac to the best round 11 player. If not you would have to upgrade hmac to mcevoy, to avoid all donuts in the ruck divison.

stew42

Quote from: me on January 28, 2012, 05:53:22 PM
why is there so little love for goldy? everyones jumped all over berger and mumford but goldy should lift even more this year, he'll still do most of the rucking and probably drift all over the ground like dean cox

Because goldy has two other rucks to share duties with, and H-mac will take hit outs and possies away from him.  The majority of other teams have one or two. Berger (despite minson) and Mumford are clearly #1 rucks in their clubs.

Swallow12

Whereas Cox get his points from marks and possies, Goldy relies far mor heavily on hit outs.. Thats why I imagine people are staying clear