Second year of SC - a better start maybe?

Started by pigden, January 25, 2012, 11:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigden

Last year was my first year of Supercoach and I boned myself with some poor picks and dumb trades early on, but ended up okay, so I've chosen this team based on a little bit more research this time around in hopes of it being a bit more successful. Any help or suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

B: Goddard, Deledio, H. Shaw, Adcock, M. Clarke, Mohr, S. Morris, (Smedts, B. Wilkes).

I'm not so sure about the rookies I've chosen here, there's still NAB come to come to figure out whether or not they'll get many games.  Adcock/Shaw are a bit risky but I've struggled to figure out where I could spend the cash to get an effective defender.

M: Ablett, Swan, Selwood, Barlow, T. Mitchell, J. McDonald, (L. Brown, Kavanagh)

Was thinking Pendles, but he may be an upgrade target for me down the line, at 700k he's incredibly expensive to start with.

R: Cox, Leuenberger (Giles, Stephensen)

Cox is one I'm unsure about.  He's an amazing ruckman, scores well, but is he worth 662 when there's other rucks around that are ~$100k cheaper?  If NicNat gets going this year and spends more time in the ruck, where will that leave Cox?

F: Franklin, Pavlich, D. Martin, J.Brown, Christensen, Zorko, J.Cameron, (H. Crozier, T. Couch)

J Brown's a bit of a roughy, but you'd think with his injuries last year, SURELY he's due for a decent season that is relatively injury free.

$4,900 left over so not much breathing space but I'm still not 100% on a few of my selections. Any ideas?

alexross

Very good start to a team. Cox i am also unsure about. The rucks will be a hard one to pick. i am looking at going with mummy and berger or berger and mcevoy.

I wouldnt rely on McDonald to play every game if you will use him as cover. IMO he will play the first couple of games then rest. Then play another couple and rest.

Pendles is def an upgrade target. he would have to score very big scores to keep that price up and in the first 3 weeks coll play hawthorn and carlton. Both games i think could be close matches.

I think trade Cox for another ruckman and that would give you plenty of breathing space.

Other than that very good team!

Ringo

Very Good Team first up. Watch Rookies pre season and select best available.  I too have doubts on McDonald so watch Shiels and Clifton as possible replacement.

Rucks are an issue for you as Cox, Berger and Giles all have the bye in round 11.  Maybe look at other Rucks with byes in Round 12 & 13 (Mumford, McEvoy or Sandilands fit this as prems) as a replacement for one..

Apart from that can not fault your prems.  Pick the right rookies as cash cows and you have the makings of a solid team.

8/10 Well done and good luck.

pigden

I hadn't factored in the byes at all - that's an interesting point.  I may have to move away from Cox and look at someone like McEvoy.  Mumford seems to miss a lot of games with suspension and I'm a bit iffy on Sandi's turf toe. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

Ringo

Rucks are the only line I am looking at a bye strategy at this point in time.
There are other Rucks to consider only suggested those 3 eg You may wish to look at Zac Smith and upgrade him after byes when he may fade,

PICCOLLO

Good team but factor in byes.  2 premium ruck strat requires a ruck from 2 different lines.  Sandilands shouldnt be a concern.  Other issue is starting 3 def rookies. Lake could be worth a punt if nab form good. 
Fwd and mids look good.
Coxy will be great this year, whether he can top last year is a question mark but he'll be top 3 ruck for sure. 

Colliwobblers

Quote from: pigden on January 25, 2012, 11:44:35 AM
B: Goddard, Deledio, H. Shaw, Adcock, M. Clarke, Mohr, S. Morris, (Smedts, B. Wilkes).
M: Ablett, Swan, Selwood, Barlow, T. Mitchell, J. McDonald, (L. Brown, Kavanagh)
R: Cox, Leuenberger (Giles, Stephensen)
F: Franklin, Pavlich, D. Martin, J.Brown, Christensen, Zorko, J.Cameron, (H. Crozier, T. Couch)
$4,900 left over so not much breathing space but I'm still not 100% on a few of my selections. Any ideas?

DEF: solid good premiums good rooks
MID: swan selwood and barlow all share rnd 12 bye, i would switch one for rocky or thomo or a blues player? check rooks through nab
RUCK: cant have coz and burger both round 11 bye, i would downgrade cox, too dear anyway, to mummy, mcevoy,sandi ect.
FWD: solid

Nice team. should go well just work out your bye strategy and trading strategy before round 1.

pigden

So with the byes I've moved things around a little bit and now the team looks like this:

M: Ablett, Swan, Murphy, Barlow, T. Mitchell, J. McDonald, (L. Brown, Kavanagh)
R: Sandilands, Leuenberger (Giles, Stephensen)

I'll watch James McDonald, it's either him or Shiel to be honest with you, see how they go in the pre-season. Sandilands is someone I'll watch with interest in the pre-season, if he's no good, might go McEvoy. Thanks a bunch for the info and advice so far.

Ringo

Nice Team now.

Pick the best rookies pre season and your set.  With the article coming out from GC about using Campbell and Bock forward maybe have a look at Matthew Warnock as a possible cheap defender but watch how GC use him pre season.

alexross

Quote from: Ringo on January 25, 2012, 05:39:57 PM
Nice Team now.

Pick the best rookies pre season and your set.  With the article coming out from GC about using Campbell and Bock forward maybe have a look at Matthew Warnock as a possible cheap defender but watch how GC use him pre season.

Thats a really good comment Ringo makes. After the NAB cup alot of teams could have M. Warnock in their teams.
Def worth watching.

Im not sure where i saw this or heard it but apparently McDonald may only play a couple of games at the start of the Season then get rested, then play a couple more and get rested and so on... Could be a better option to go with Shiel. But this could just be an incorrect rumour.