Main Menu

Brett Deledio - GWS Target #1

Started by ossie85, January 25, 2012, 08:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

This is only a veiled attempt to take the focus of Pendles, but Deledio really does fit the bill for a player the GWS would love.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brett-deledios-tiger-deal-on-hold/story-e6frf9jf-1226252896692

Though the logic of 'If Tigers don't make finals, Lids will go to GWS" doesn't make sense, as GWS will be years away from a flag also, and the Tigers players of Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, etc is a good enough base for the future!

BUT, can the Tigers afford him?

Cruiseon

The Tiger's must have heaps of room in their slary cap and I would suspect Deledio is getting paid very well. I agree the GWS connection makes no sense but it will be an interesting chapter in free agency. I'm still unsure the type of an impact it will have.  For example a Geelong or Collingwood (or their equivalent in year's to come) won't be able to gain much because they will have salary cap issues.

A Melbourne, Richmond or Essendon who presumably have more room may be the beneficiaries of getting a player on free agency by waving around cash. Who knows.

ossie85

Not sure if Richmond would have that much room in salary cap. I seem to remember hearing that Dustin Martin is already getting paid massive ammounts, and Cotchin and JRoo could demand large sums already.

Plus, can Richmond afford to pay 100% of the salary cap?

Cruiseon

They must be getting closer to being able to or at least in a year or two when the free agency kicks in. If you compare the players Richmond have to retain led by the three players you mention and compare that to Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn and even Carlton they are worlds apart.

Adelaide would be another prime candidate, plenty of money, poor/young list, not many big names. 

Windigo

And his just coming into his prime now.

Ziplock

mmm I doubt it.

I mean, hypothetically GWS could squeeze lids and pendles under the salary cap, maybe...

but I don't see it happening. I just don't think there'll be enough left once we snag pendles :P

Hawka

even if its not GWS i took this outa of it to though

QuoteFinals a sticking point in Deledio deal Deledio is shaping as the biggest fish in the free agency war, with Collingwood and Geelong set to play hard ball in the chase for marquee talent

ossie85

Absolutely no way Cats or Pies could afford Deledio, even if he was willing to play for peanuts.

elephants

Lids to the Eagles. *dreams*

Not enough big trades in the AFL... Come On!!!

Wes Mantooth

Deledio will stay a Tiger, no doubt in my mind.

Tigers are coming good now, no reason to leave a good time bandwagon.

And why would he want to sing another club song when he already sings the best? :)

Usman

And he is locked in for 5. YEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWW!!

Justin Bieber

Looks like he will be signing now...

Usman

Quote from: whatlez on March 27, 2012, 02:00:19 PM
Looks like he will be signing now...

HAS signed till the end of 2016!!!

ossie85

With Hurley and Lids off, I'm getting nervous

Ziplock

I said there wouldn't be enough room when we get pendles...