Main Menu

Mid Pricers

Started by Presto, January 23, 2012, 11:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Presto

I believe that midpricer are the way to a successful SC
I agree with many people that selecting your initial elite players and rookies is essential for a winning strategy. But just as important is the selection of your initials mid pricers. That you believe you need only a couple of mid pricers or more, you still need to choose them carefully.

Here is my opinion on those that I have considered at some stage: (Note: although I have put both SC and DT values, stats are SC)

Adelaide
Callinan, Ian (FWD) $303,600 SC 217,000DT Ave 56 He can use both feet with precision and for the little I saw in his 3 games last year he is very cheap. Unfortunately he is still on the rookie list
Porplyzia, Jason (FWD) $229,600SC $202,500 Ave 2007/2010 72 59 76 75 A must have if he can play like before his injury. But still a risk with injuries (keep an eye during NAB)

Brisbane
Lisle, Jordan (FWD) $291,700 $219,200 Ave 54 Listed as a fwd but played mainly as a defender with Hawthorn. Pass
Drummond, Josh (DEF) $369,400 $289,400 Ave 2007/2011 115 89 96 91 76. Although I would love for him to recapture his previous years form, I think he is too injury prone.

Carlton
Watson, Matthew (DEF) $305,400 $237,400 Ave 56. I like this kid, he has a long accurate kick. Keep an eye on him.

Collingwood
Didak, Alan (MID/FWD) $336,100 $363,700) Ave 2007/2011 69 91 105 104 62 He might bounce back. Worth a thought for SC at his price. Too expensive for DT

Essendon
Winderlich, Jason (MID/FWD) $302,200 $246,100 Ave 2007/2011 75 81 97 87 56. The best bargain of them all. At these prices he probably will be in both my DT and SC teams.

Fremantle
Suban, Nick (DEF) $309,500 $272,100 Ave 57. He certainly can play, but too many injuries over the last 3 years.

Geelong
Hunt, Taylor (DEF) $287,300 $270,100 Ave 53 For two years I have had him from rnd 1 and both times he got injured. Promising again this year, but no thanks.

Gold Coast
Coad, Michael (DEF) $311,200 $244,100 Ave 82 (2 games) I am tempted, but I do not know if I am brave enough. Wait on the NAB cup I suppose.
Taylor, Jeremy (DEF) $324,400 $228,500 Ave 86 (2 games)I am tempted (this is a recording…) If I found the courage probably Coad for SC and Taylor for DT 

GWS
No midpricers that interest me.

Hawthorn
Gunston, Jack (FWD) $302,700 $303,400 Ave 56 I think he might improve a lot in a team that can supply him more with the ball. Pass

Melbourne
Blease, Sam (DEF) $305,700 $228,500 Ave 56 He played only 5 games last year In the first he was a sub, in the last he injured himself without scoring. His average in the other 3 games was 89 with a best of 121. On my radar

North Melbourne
Garlett, Cruize (MID) $257,800 $267,700 Ave 48 At the moment he is my 6th mid (after Swan, Mitchell, Thompson, Barlow and Hayes). No particular reason, but I have a hunch he is due.
McIntosh, Hamish (Ruc) $364,300 $273,500 Ave 96 One of the more fancied choices for 2nd ruckman. But then with Lobbe’s injury I think that Renouf is a better choice.

Port Adelaide
Butcher, John (FWD) $285.100 $243,400 Ave 66 I believe he will play almost every rounds.
Renouf, Brent (RUC) $248,400 $265,000 Ave 57 With Lobbe’s injury he will be their no1 ruckman

Richmond
Conca, Reece (DEF) $298,800 $274,100 Ave 55 It seems to be a popular choice, but mainly as a cash cow. But in my opinion will not inprove his value.
Moore, Kelvin (DEF) $230,300 $176,200 Ave 71(2010) Did not play last year. If he can recapture 2010 form, he is value for money

St Kilda
Simpkin, Tom (DEF) $231,500 $197,900 Ave 61 He will improve, but I think there are better options for similar values (Moore, Lake)

Sydney
Armstrong, Tony (DEF) $292,300 $289,700 Ave 63 I think he is guaranteed a place in the team from round 1 with the retirement of Kennelly. Again I think there are better options (Moore, Lake)

West Coast
Dalziell, Bradd (MID) $205,500 $198,200 Ave 16 (but he played only a quarter, and then was sent to Coventry). His averages in the previous years were 92, 73, 76. If he played this year he could be a very good cash cow, almost better than any rookie. But I do not understand while he did not play last year, since playing for East Fremantle he average almost 85. Can someone enlighten me.
Gaff, Andrew (MID) $331,100 $322,900 Ave 61 (his average suffers by been a sub 5 times). No room at this stage in my team, but I think worth it.

Western Bulldogs
Lake, Brian (DEF) $286,900 $255,200 Ave 59 The best option of them all. Forget about last year and think of the previous years with averages like 101,92,95,105. If he returns to those averages will be amongst the top 3 to 5 defenders. If he only achieves 80/85 he will still make at least $200k. If he does not, if was still a good story.

Hippo

Good job

Yeah you are right I do believe you need at least 2 middys otherwise you will be starting 8 rookies most of the time and would need 16 trades just for that.

2 things jump out at me, you really should add grima to norths, hrs the mid who interest me the most from them

And you say forget about last yr for lake, you could say the same for didak. Dif being one has had a full preseason and the other is still on the deadly treadly watching his mates kick the ball, for me didak is the best of the lot if......

Ringo

Nice write up Presto Well done.

Only comment I will make that Lisle will mostly be used forward by Brisbane )unless injuries strike again) with him and Cornelius fighting for the one spot so may be an option. Looking at the picture in this article looks like he has beefed up a bit as well. (Unashamed Lions supporter in case you had not guessed)

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/128017/default.aspx

2 I think you should add are Matthew Warnock traded to GC and Norths Nathan Grima.

Colliwobblers

nice work thanks for all the effort, i agree with the point you make gun/rooks alone is hard this season due to the price rises. I am looking at 2 midpricers in def, 2 in fwd, 1 in mids.

agree grima wont get pciekd much but he is well priced and the standout in preseason. worth a look imo.

Presto

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will add Grima, Warnock and a few others later. I had Grima last year and "once bitten, twice shy", but I will try to be unbiased.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Presto on January 24, 2012, 12:50:09 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will add Grima, Warnock and a few others later. I had Grima last year and "once bitten, twice shy", but I will try to be unbiased.

Haha nice work Presto and good point on Grima, I got a couple like that on my list....

Gooner

As a Melbourne supporter, I thought I'd chip in on your suggestion of Sam Blease.

Blease performed really well at the end of last season and a number of dees fans were quite excited by him.  He's been a bit injury prone in the past, although a lot of that was as a result of breaking his leg at school.  He's been struggling a bit in pre-season though and particularly struggling with the intensity brought in by Neeld and Mission.  Whether this will translate into him getting fewer games is uncertain also.  His role is also a little uncertain.  On the plus, he's unlikely to be tucked in a pocket anywhere but his role could be anywhere from running off the half back flank to a half forward flanker.  Given his struggles with the intensity expected, he's also a change to get the green vest a little bit.  I see him as a player who has a lot of potential and could average 80-85, but with a fair bit of risk. 

My guess - 16 games at an average of 72.

Another Melbourne player who I would consider listing as a midprice option is Dan Nicholson.  He's listed as a Def/Mid but he's likely to get a fair bit of time through the middle.  He's still rookie listed but almost certain to be promoted to one of Melbourne's two rookie spots.  He's been absolutely smashing it up in training, winning the 3km time trial just before Xmas and placing in the top three in almost every other time trial that they've had.  I think he's a very good chance to get regular games and should score well.  He scored quite well when he played last year but copped a few green vests when a few of Melbourne's regular players came back into the side. 

My guess - 20 games at an average of 80

The Supercoach

good post mate ...

Although as a Roos supporter i cant see cruize garlett making many big scores, he is a solid player but didnt get a regular game and only played 9 for the season and i cant really see much changing ( but i might be wrong)

As for grima, he was a very good defender a few years ago and then was hit with a big injury which upset his 2011, he has had a big preseason and i havent even considered him until now, so could be a smokey this year.

Colliwobblers

for SC i'm starting 5 rooks and 2 half rooks :) being Caddy in the middle and Clarke in the DEF, neither rooks but both almost rookie priced and carrying enough uncertainty to classify as rooks, mid pricers only Trengove in the Middle and Christensen in the FWD.

Crazy?

Ziplock

Conca is going to be a let down. I'm a little bit sick of the pre-season hype tbh :P

he's a defender, because he played defence mostly last year. Unless he's getting ridiculous mid time, hell no. There's no space in richmonds mids either.