Thomas Couch

Started by Obese Arachnid, January 21, 2012, 08:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obese Arachnid

Why do a lot of people have him in their side?

Is it because he scored well last year in the VFL, as in does is that what the Prospectus 2012 says?

Massively over rated here, unless i missed ( a lot) of his quality in the Pies reserve teams I saw last year.

He's an accumulator (he's not even at the level of Prismall or even Hogan) without having any stand out abilities. He is not fast, he's not a great kick, he's not great overhead, he is so VANILLA.

I mean Sundberg was miles in front of him last year & no one touched him in the draft.

He IMO found his level at VFL.

Torress

never heard of him.
if he's collingwood player, there are probably just a lot of bogan stupid filthy magpie supporters who have picked him!

Purple 77

23 years old, MPP, in a team that needs him, cheapest you can get......... all sings out to a supercoach. IMO think he will be pretty good at the dees

Obese Arachnid

No offense Purple but it seems like your licking your lips at how he projects (potentially) as SC value.

Have you seen him play?

Obese Arachnid

Quote from: Torress on January 21, 2012, 09:21:15 PM
never heard of him.
if he's collingwood player, there are probably just a lot of bogan stupid filthy magpie supporters who have picked him!

Thanks for your input, douche. Never heard of him eh? SC enthusiast? lol

Colliwobblers

Well, hard to say how he will turn out I don't rate him too highly but I feel he will be given the chance both due to his setermination and his connection to Neald.

As a player i think he could be a solid long term afl player if he makes it but i dont think he will ever be a gun, as a rookie iin DT he will do a good enough job i guess, but i feel better options exist.

link to my report on him below

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,45731.msg621908.html#msg621908

Obese Arachnid

Thanks & looking at that report, it seems you mostly agree.

Look I may well be wrong, it's just that I think he's not SC value (rookie) this year. Pre season may change my mind.
Most of us only know these guys by reputation. I've seen him & I think meh but i'm not purporting to be a great judge of horse flesh. Crap I still don't know why the Pies picked up guys like Sinclair or L. Smith (Pies 1ST rookie pick this year-seen him too-more no than meh!)

My question was more aimed at, what am I missing? I don't see the value....open my eyes.

Colliwobblers

yeah nope i do agree with you but that could be because i too dont know enough but i have researched and watched a lot of rooks and vfl kids this year already and this one just doesnt excite me at all.

good story of persevering and good shot at playing but yeah meh...

Obese Arachnid

I think the last line sums it up for me too.

Purple 77

Quote from: Obese Arachnid on January 21, 2012, 10:40:30 PM
No offense Purple but it seems like your licking your lips at how he projects (potentially) as SC value.

Have you seen him play?

No, but this a section to find SC value players.

Huh, ok, didn't realise he was that sort of player.......... i suppose time will tell to see which of us is right  :)

Purple 77

Well, just looked at his stats from Collingwoods VFL team season review, and he is:

5th in average disposals
3rd in average contested possessions
2nd in average tackles
3rd in average clearances
3rd in average inside 50's

Some people in this team where part of a dominant team who almost won the premiership, he can do this against AFL players and if coached well, i  don't see why he can't do it in the AFL. But i never saw him play so i can't comment on that, im just pointing out the stats. If Dean Bailey was coaching, i'd have doubts, but Neeld is already 5 times the coach bailey was, he has seen couch play so he knows how to play him, and the stats up there show that he should be able to score SC wise. His determination can only take him further.

Unless he's one of those players who accumulates the ball (which still scores plenty of SC points), and does nothing with it, and somehow he is seen in the top of statistics (there are plenty of players like that, gets the ball but does nothing), then i really don't see why he can't make it in the AFL, and score well in SC.

Gawn also has a long term injury, meaning he is eligible to play if promoted as well.

AFL Babble

Point well made at the end there Purple. I also like the Neald link. He's now on my radar.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Purple 77 on January 22, 2012, 10:59:21 AM
Well, just looked at his stats from Collingwoods VFL team season review, and he is:

5th in average disposals
3rd in average contested possessions
2nd in average tackles
3rd in average clearances
3rd in average inside 50's

Some people in this team where part of a dominant team who almost won the premiership, he can do this against AFL players and if coached well, i  don't see why he can't do it in the AFL. But i never saw him play so i can't comment on that, im just pointing out the stats. If Dean Bailey was coaching, i'd have doubts, but Neeld is already 5 times the coach bailey was, he has seen couch play so he knows how to play him, and the stats up there show that he should be able to score SC wise. His determination can only take him further.

Unless he's one of those players who accumulates the ball (which still scores plenty of SC points), and does nothing with it, and somehow he is seen in the top of statistics (there are plenty of players like that, gets the ball but does nothing), then i really don't see why he can't make it in the AFL, and score well in SC.

Gawn also has a long term injury, meaning he is eligible to play if promoted as well.

way to make your point purple, i am looking at Mohr in the same light and cameron, both KPP but both guns, backing them to bat above their (positional) averages.

Purple 77

thanks guys, i was getting really into that post  8)

Obese Arachnid

Nice points Purple, I must admit seeing those stats made me double take.
He certainly has more impressive stats than i imagined.

Things to consider though, the Pies ressies was very weak last yr. The midfield very low on quality.
Note what I said about Sundberg being visually better & no one picking him up. Stats below.
2nd in average disposals
1st in average contested possessions
1st in average tackles
4th in average clearances
4th in average inside 50's

From the matches I saw too Sundi would have played more FP than Couch, both mainly midfield obv. Sundi was also a very vocal leader, another plus.
Neeld is a valid point, having worked with him & yes i too believe he'll be far superior to Bailey.

He's not crap but like I said, I'm not sure he has any standout qualities, just average at everything. Perhaps that is a view based more on his ability rather than SC value.

We'll just have to agree to disagree but if he smashes some scores out & makes ppl a lot of cash i'll come back & take my fair whack! ;D