Kangaroo Midfield Analysis

Started by Holz, January 21, 2012, 07:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

The Roos have attempted to give recommendations on who to pick for your dream team. Is obviously overly postive but gives some good insights, in particular Anthony could be a potentially good pick.

Note the ones in Red are the guys i think are worth looking at for your team, the others not so much

Liam Anthony
Position: Midfield
Price: $378,200

Verdict: After a strong start to his Dream Team career, Anthony's average tailed off slightly last season. However the number four hasn't lost the ability to rack up big scores - four times in 2011 he registered more than 90 points.

Having spent time with the defensive unit in the pre-season, a potential new role for Anthony could open up his scoring potential.

Shaun Atley
Price: $239,300

Verdict: In his debut season, Atley showed promise in multiple statistical categories; his handballing and tackling a feature.

He's already been earmarked by assistant coach Shane Watson as one of the most impressive on the track during the pre-season and at a relatively low price, there is plenty of room for improvement.

Ryan Bastinac
Price: $324,400

Verdict: As shown by his career average, the remarkably consistent Bastinac has been a reliable option for many Dream-Teamers over his first two seasons. Following an injury-free pre-season, it could be time for Bastinac to take the step up from just another mid-price player to a premium midfielder. He has the talent and support around him to be able to do so.

Ben Cunnington
Price: $260,000

Verdict: It was a tough year for Cunnington in 2011 as he was moved around in different positions and for the most part unable to really hold down a spot.

However, Cunnington exploded past the century in the final match of the year against Richmond, despite a tendency to handball more than kick.

Flying on the track in the pre-season, the youngster needs to find his place in the team to help his average rocket towards the triple-figure mark.

Cruize Garlett
Price: $267,700

Verdict: In an up-and-down 2011 for Garlett, he showed that when his tackling was on song, he could post a respectable score despite minimal game time.

Used regularly as the sub last season, his hard work on the track should allow him to spend more time on the ground.

He's a proven accumulator when it comes to possessions, so could be a bargain find if given more opportunities.

Sam Gibson
Price: $85,800

Verdict: Gibson has impressed from the moment he arrived at Aegis Park. A victory in the two-kilometre time trial on the first day back signaled his intent to work his way into the senior side.

His prior experience as captain of Box Hill will have Gibson well prepared for the rigors of senior football. The absence of Ziebell and potentially Wells in round one against Essendon could be all that Gibson needs to prove himself, but he'll be competing with other rookies for a senior spot which makes things a little tougher.

Levi Greenwood
Price: $287,700

Verdict: Greenwood's average dipped in 2011 off the back of an injury interrupted first half of the season.

He also had more of a propensity to handball with his kick to handball ratio heading towards level pegging.

Given his efforts in 2010 and with a full pre-season under his belt, Greenwood could be a wait-and-see, but does loom as a potential bargain as one of North's first-picked every week.

Jamie MacMillan
Price: $213,200

Verdict: Macmillan was beginning to cement himself in the North Melbourne side in 2011 before a horrific facial injury suffered against Adelaide. His kick to handball ratio had increased, which is good news heading into 2012.

Macmillan's price is still low enough for coaches to take a low-risk flyer on him and with Brent Harvey singling Macmillan out for praise, there's plenty to like about North's number 34.

Brad McKenzie
Price: $103,200

Verdict: The 18th pick in the 2011 National Draft is a player that Dream Team coaches will have their eyes on, with his ability to fill a spot in the team running off half-back.

He'll need to earn his spot throughout the NAB Cup, but his sublime skills by foot mean his team-mates will be looking to get the ball in his hands at every opportunity.

While his slight build means McKenzie will struggle to play all 22 games, he looks a good chance to accumulate enough matches to make his inclusion into your squad worth while.

Aaron Mullett
Price: $219,300

Verdict: Mullett impressed on his introduction to the senior team late in 2011. However, his third game in round 24 leaves his price at an awkward starting point for coaches in 2012.

Despite his undoubted talent, he is a high-risk pick-up at almost $220k due to the unknown factor having very little senior football under his belt.

Another who's skills by foot mean he'll get plenty of the ball if given the chance, but he first needs to overcome the hurdle of being promoted to the senior list for a second time.

Cameron Richardson
Price: $211,500

Verdict: Beginning 2011 as a potential cash cow from North Melbourne, Richardson struggled to live up to expectations.

Some strong performances at North Ballarat as the year drew to a close were a good sign for owners considering picking him up again.

He has had an injury interrupted pre-season so may be a player to assess on VFL form a little later.

Ben Speight
Price: $236,800

Verdict: Speight showed glimpses of his talent last season playing as a substitute, collecting 53 points against the Bulldogs in Round 17 in just a quarter.

Having recovered from a shoulder injury that prematurely ended his 2011, Speight will be hoping to step things up and secure a regular spot in the first 18 to produce something similar to his effort against Adelaide when he had 23 possessions and four marks (72 points).

Andrew Swallow
Price: $491,500

Verdict: Swallow was another North Melbourne player that made the leap in 2011. His tackling adds another dimension to comparable premium midfielders and gives him scope to collect a respectable score even on his quieter days possession-wise.

From rounds 17-23 last season, Swallow broke the ton five times and was upwards of 115 on three occasions. He should be in your calculations when debating first picked midfielders.

Max Warren
Price: $103,800

Verdict: The highly rated rookie should get every chance to impress at VFL level early in the season, but is competing against others looking for a senior promotion. Monitor.

Daniel Wells
Price: $462,400

Verdict: After a 2011 season in which Wells took the step into the elite category of midfielders, his off-season setback may have pushed him back a couple of rungs in the eyes of Dream Team coaches.

However, Wells is progressing nicely in his recovery and is hoping not to miss too many games at the start of the season.

A fantastic athlete and still in full non-contact training at the moment, it shouldn't take Wells long to adapt to the pace of the game again. That leaves the only question as whether he can replicate his 2011 form.

Jack Ziebell
Price: $384,900

Verdict: Excluding round 22 against Fremantle where he was taken off early with an injury concern, Ziebell finished 2011 in incredible form. From round 14 through to round 23, Ziebell dipped under 90 only once while breaking the century mark four times. The stand-out was an incredible 156 point performance against the Bulldogs in Round 17.

His suspension rules him out of the first two rounds of 2012 and for that reason, it wouldn't be wise to include him in your starting team. However, if you haven't drafted well and have a struggling premium the week Ziebell makes his return; his inclusion could prove a master-stroke given his rapid improvement.

Source http://www.kangaroos.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4912/newsid/128083/default.aspx

Colliwobblers

what a dead set awesome post, thanks Holzman, talk about raising the bar !!

Are you a Kangaroo or just know a lot about footy? either way would love more of this awesome work.

I would love to take gidson but i dont trust scott to play his rooks with anything even remotely resembling consistancy.

MTTY

Good info Holz.

You don't think Gibson is worth picking? If he was to be promted to the senior list would you consider?

Holz

Quote from: Colliwobblers on January 21, 2012, 08:05:12 PM
what a dead set awesome post, thanks Holzman, talk about raising the bar !!

Ziebell is he suspended for how many rounds? we don't start DT until round 3 remember (i had totally forgotten)

Are you a Kangaroo or just know a lot about footy? either way would love more of this awesome work.

I would love to take gidson but i dont trust scott to play his rooks with anything even remotely resembling consistancy.

Am considering Ziebel tho

its all stolen from an article from the roo website i just cut and pasted it so its easier to read.

JZ is out for the first 2 rounds, if you go for league than there is ntohing to worry about. The only problems is he is missing the round 2 match against GWS where if playing he could have pulled a monster score.

NOTE: with JZ and potentially wells out, guys like gibson might start round 1 and than be dropped when they come back, watch out potentiall for that.

I wuold also add that atley has been training with the defence group. Mckenzie despite being listed as a midfielder is belived to be taking the rebounding half back role eventually but he might not be up for it this season. I personally feel mckenzie is more likely than atley.

Holz

Quote from: MTTY on January 21, 2012, 08:07:44 PM
Good info Holz.

You don't think Gibson is worth picking? If he was to be promted to the senior list would you consider?

I would love for him to get games later in the season and me a downgrade target. As stated above, if named 1 i would be very nervous picking him especially if wells isnt playing.

For me Mckenzie the only rookie im looking at, if he was a back as he should be would rpobably have him in my fanplanner team, but as a mid i dont think he is worth it, is high risk possibly high reward.

Grazz

A small extract from the Footy Times: While some coaches expect little from their first-year players, Brad Scott is taking a different tack, saying he hoped for an immediate impact from those the recruiting staff rated highly enough to draft.
For Brad McKenzie that should mean senior action next season if the coach's appraisal is any guide.
"We probably rated him a bit higher than some other clubs because we thought he was the best kick in the draft", Scott said
"Ive been on record as saying we need to improve our skill level and we think he can do that immediately. I think he can come in and be an elite kick from day one" Quote unquote.

Gotta say my 1st thought was "Yeh i'll believe that when i see it" but doing research on McKenzie and reading Colli's exceptional work im starting to believe he will be there from the get go.

Nice work Holz.

bowyanger

Thanks for the heads up.

At least I can cross LAnthony off my list (loved his work a few years ago)

Still undecided between JZ and Swallow, 1 of them will definately get a guernsey into my side

Swallow has been consistantly great for the last couple of years now and is in the front running.

JZ would be busting his guts in his 1st game back and is training well, if I hired him it would mean a nice upgrade elswhere but Im mainly going for overall ... isnt every1?

Maybe the extra $ I save in JZ, if I make a really, really, roooolly good choice on a player with my savings, would cancel out the score of ASwallow...a litlle bit...maybe.....probably....not

Bah

Grazz

Quote from: bowyanger on January 21, 2012, 09:16:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

At least I can cross LAnthony off my list (loved his work a few years ago)

Still undecided between JZ and Swallow, 1 of them will definately get a guernsey into my side

Swallow has been consistantly great for the last couple of years now and is in the front running.

JZ would be busting his guts in his 1st game back and is training well, if I hired him it would mean a nice upgrade elswhere but Im mainly going for overall ... isnt every1?

Maybe the extra $ I save in JZ, if I make a really, really, roooolly good choice on a player with my savings, would cancel out the score of ASwallow...a litlle bit...maybe.....probably....not

Bah

lol i understand your anguish, this game can have you feeling your Damned if you do and Damned if you dont cant it.

AndrewY

Thanks for the updates Holzman. Any further insights on Levi Greenwood as a POD?

Insider out

Hey Holzy..
Do you think L.Anthony will be back in favor? I took a punt last year but remember he was dropped for a while then a sub.. I think he was dropped for burning the ball??? any word if he has learnt to kick straight over the summer?

Holz

Quote from: Insider out on January 22, 2012, 12:33:56 AM
Hey Holzy..
Do you think L.Anthony will be back in favor? I took a punt last year but remember he was dropped for a while then a sub.. I think he was dropped for burning the ball??? any word if he has learnt to kick straight over the summer?

im not really the expert on the roos probably better to ask roo boys, i have the roo articles on my facebook feed and i havent seen to much from either greenwood or anthony. For me if anthony was a back i would risk him, what i think they are doing is putting a number of guys up for the rebounding half back role or at least a defensive role. From the looks of it mckenzie and maybee atley and anthony could play down back. For me i dont think they are worth the risk.

The only roos im seriously looking at picking for my team are Mckenzie, Hmac and JZ. I think for the roos the NAB will reveal alot, there is a competition for spots everywhere, so for me probably too risky a team to pick from.  As you said anthony wasnt very clean with the ball and i think he is behind Swallow, Wells, JZ and Basti in the mids so they are trying him down back. Mckenzie is great with the ball and is obviously much younger than anthony so i think they will groom him for that role. I would probably even put atley ahead of athony but you never know

Windigo

I had Swallow all of last year hoping for the breakout year....It never really eventuated. So I'm not that keen to try it again.

Manbearpig

Quote from: Holzman on January 21, 2012, 08:27:01 PM
Quote from: MTTY on January 21, 2012, 08:07:44 PM
Good info Holz.

I would love for him to get games later in the season and me a downgrade target. As stated above, if named 1 i would be very nervous picking him especially if wells isnt playing.

For me Mckenzie the only rookie im looking at, if he was a back as he should be would rpobably have him in my fanplanner team, but as a mid i dont think he is worth it, is high risk possibly high reward.

I'll definitely consider McKenzie for DT, and he's almost a lock for me in SC. Atley and Harper got a ton of games last year, so Scott should give plenty of games to McKenzie. He's probably a surer thing than most GWS rookies.

hardnut

Quote from: Windigo on January 22, 2012, 11:17:03 AM
I had Swallow all of last year hoping for the breakout year....It never really eventuated. So I'm not that keen to try it again.
ditto, he does remind me of Priddis a bit though and you could see he going 105-110ppg but he'll never be 115+ player. At this stage I have no Roo's even on the radar after having a few last year, would like to squeeze one in so maybe the NAB will give me a reason.

Colliwobblers

without taking the thread in a different direction and a toatlly mute point (at least for 2012) but would swallow be a gun premium 115+ if he played for a top 4 side?