Club By Club Rookie Listed Players

Started by Colliwobblers, January 20, 2012, 11:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colliwobblers

Quote from: scotty_222 on January 21, 2012, 06:46:12 PM
Alec magin was gcs only rookie, he was promoted this year, my understanding is that because gcs have a larger list they can have more players on their senior list. Every year their senior list gets cut down by a few to be more like every other senior list. That's y they had so many delistings.. Gws are the same

Ah I see, thanks for the info, so out of the 4 I have listed above the 4 they drafter off the rookie draft last year, they can promote 2 this season ?

scotty_222

Quote from: Colliwobblers on January 21, 2012, 06:52:28 PM
Quote from: scotty_222 on January 21, 2012, 06:46:12 PM
Alec magin was gcs only rookie, he was promoted this year, my understanding is that because gcs have a larger list they can have more players on their senior list. Every year their senior list gets cut down by a few to be more like every other senior list. That's y they had so many delistings.. Gws are the same

Ah I see, thanks for the info, so out of the 4 I have listed above the 4 they drafter off the rookie draft last year, they can promote 2 this season ?

Yeah which most probably be coad and horsley, Jackson Allen and Alex sexton are two rookies that I can think of at the moment

mezzoculo

Another killer thread, Colli.

Does anyone know if there is a deadline for clubs to announce their rookie upgrades?
The suspense is killing me!

Colliwobblers

Quote from: mezzoculo on January 23, 2012, 01:45:40 PM

Does anyone know if there is a deadline for clubs to announce their rookie upgrades?

LOL i would like to know the exact rules of it all too, guess i can learn it on the net but if anyone knows please do tell, i thought it wasnt a deadline just a limit for the season but could upgrade any time?

mezzoculo

Quote from: Colliwobblers on January 23, 2012, 08:36:42 PM
Quote from: mezzoculo on January 23, 2012, 01:45:40 PM

LOL i would like to know the exact rules of it all too, guess i can learn it on the net but if anyone knows please do tell, i thought it wasnt a deadline just a limit for the season but could upgrade any time?

Balls  :-\

Colliwobblers

think this is outdated but i will get the latest rule soon

List maintenance

Each club is allowed to maintain a list of up to six eligible players, whilst Brisbane and Sydney can list a maximum of nine. Up to three rookies can be retained, with the players permission for a second or third season,[3] with the others having to be either delisted or elevated to the primary list at the time of the National Draft. Only half of the salary paid by a club to players on the rookie list counts towards the league's salary cap.

Generally speaking, a rookie-listed player cannot be selected to play in the senior AFL competition, and must play in state-level affiliated teams, except in two circumstances:

At the start of a season, a club can nominate up to two veterans from its senior list for salary cap reasons; if a team does not have a full quota of veterans, it can make up the balance by nominating rookies to be eligible for senior selection. These players are known as nominated rookies.
    If a senior-listed player is moved onto the long-term injury list, a rookie-listed player can be temporarily elevated in his place, becoming eligible for senior selection, while the senior player remains injured.

There are usually plenty of opportunities to enact either of these rules, so rookie-listed players who are playing well enough for senior selection are seldom deprived of the opportunity by list management constraints.

Colliwobblers

Veteran Players

Under AFL player rules, each club may nominate or list any number of what are called Veteran Player’s.

In order to be eligible for classification as a Veteran a player must have been the age of 30 as at September 30 in the relevant AFL season and be on the primary list of the AFL club for at least 10 years or in the case of Port Adelaide since the inception of the club.
    From 2006 there is now no limit on the number of veteran players a club can list, as long as the player meets the required classification.

Rookie Players

All clubs can maintain a rookie list of up to six players. Participation at the NAB AFL Rookie Draft is voluntary. A player included on a clubs rookie list cannot play for the club in the AFL except in the Pre-Season competition of if a rookie-listed player is promoted as a long term injury replacement player
    A rookie player must be 18 (and under 23) before December 31 in the year he is drafted. Sydney & Brisbane can include one or more players on their rookie list during the period between the NAB Pre-Season draft and the NAB Rookie Draft provided the player has resided in NSW or the ACT (in the case of Sydney) or Queensland (in the case of Brisbane) for at least three years before his selection. This encourages Sydney & Brisbane to invest in local players who were not selected at either the NAB AFL Draft or the NAB Pre-Season Draft.
    A club can retain a maximum of three players on its rookie list for a second season provided it nominates those players at the time of the compulsory list lodgement.

from the afl site.

I think rookies can be promoted once a player goes onto the LTI list, and if you have 2 veteran listed players a rookie can be promoted, not 100% on that yet, read montys post on it from last year.

FisherSaints

This is the rookie list for GWS
Rhys Cooyou
Israel Folau
Sam Frost
Andrew Phillips
Tim Segrave

and Gold Coast
Micheal Coad
Josh Hall
Kyal Horsley
Andrew McQualter

Courtesy of 2012 Prospectus

Not sure if that was what you need but hopefully will help

BTW, love your writeups Colliwobblers

valkorum

@Colliwobbles

The rookie list can be up to 8 (with no veterans).  A named veteran takes a place on the rookie list.  Eg. Freo have named Pav and Grover so that means Freo can only have 6 rookies.

If a club has 0 or 1 veterans then they have the option to upgrade a rookie (0 veterans = 2 rookies upgrades, 1 veteran = 1 rookie upgrade) at the beginning of the season.  If a club has 2 veterans then they cannot upgrade a rookie.  Any upgraded rookies will go back to the rookie list at the end of the season.

If a club suffers a LTI (min 8 weeks) to a senior squad member, then the club can upgrade a rookie in place of the injured senior squad member.  The upgraded rookie goes back to the rookie list when the injured player returns to playing action (reserves included - ie wafl/vfl/sanfl)

SydneyRox

in my esteemed opinion the two most likely at Syndey to be updraged will be Campbell Heath and Dylan Mcneil.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: FisherSaints on January 24, 2012, 12:23:02 PM
This is the rookie list for GWS
Rhys Cooyou
Israel Folau
Sam Frost
Andrew Phillips
Tim Segrave

and Gold Coast
Micheal Coad
Josh Hall
Kyal Horsley
Andrew McQualter

Courtesy of 2012 Prospectus

Not sure if that was what you need but hopefully will help

BTW, love your writeups Colliwobblers

Thanks FisherSaints thats great and thanks for the comments.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: valkorum on January 24, 2012, 12:31:15 PM
@Colliwobbles

The rookie list can be up to 8 (with no veterans).  A named veteran takes a place on the rookie list.  Eg. Freo have named Pav and Grover so that means Freo can only have 6 rookies.

If a club has 0 or 1 veterans then they have the option to upgrade a rookie (0 veterans = 2 rookies upgrades, 1 veteran = 1 rookie upgrade) at the beginning of the season.  If a club has 2 veterans then they cannot upgrade a rookie.  Any upgraded rookies will go back to the rookie list at the end of the season.

If a club suffers a LTI (min 8 weeks) to a senior squad member, then the club can upgrade a rookie in place of the injured senior squad member.  The upgraded rookie goes back to the rookie list when the injured player returns to playing action (reserves included - ie wafl/vfl/sanfl)

Thanks Valkorum, I had the veteran part back the front, thanks for the info, so basically with these rookies unless there is a LTI or a club has no vets they won't be promoted, hence we can expect GCS and GWS rookies (amongst others) to be promoted but not all clubs will have the opportunity to promote rookies at all...

valkorum

Which is why I keep advising people that the likes of Spurr and Menegola from Freo are not good choices - we dont have the space to upgrade them at the beginning of the year as we have Pav and Grover on the Vets list.

nostradamus

l had a feeling that all clubs were allowed to promote 1 rookie each after round 11, regardless of veterans or LTI's.

l hope this is correct, as there could be some downgrade gold at a really handy time.

.....maybe some of our more experienced contributors might have some knowledge about this.

Windigo