how many starting premiums in each bye round in each position

Started by Colliwobblers, January 11, 2012, 11:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colliwobblers

So i am seeing this asked in a lot of threads and wonder if it is becomig a hard and fast rule for 2012 or if you have a way around it or an alternative strategy.

The way I see it and I may be wrong, HOPE I am wrong, is you can't have more than 2 premium/keepers in each line EG DEF from each bye round.

If you have 3 then you need to have one on the field in thier bye round and cop the donut. Or trade them out ( which is a sideways trade since we are talking only about premiums/keepers) Not ROOKS.

an example of my fwd line situation currently - buddy(13) - martin(13) - zaka(12) - christensen(12). i have $510K but don't have a premium(11) that i want

I want 3 from either round 12 or round 13 byes on my fwd line because i just dont want any round 11 bye premiums, so i either have to have 1 less premium in the fwd line for that reason, and not take the player/s i actually want, OR take a midpricer like brown....

Your plan your thoughts ??

Football Factory

I went more than 2. In the forward and back positions its gonna be practically impossible not to cop a donut especially after upgrading. The question is which round to cop the donuts still trying to work that one out. Sideways trading is an option but i think it just delays the inevitable not sure yet   :-\

Football Factory

lolrocket

You're going to have a donut each in fwds and backs anyway so 3 with a bye in them is fine as long as you have no rookies with the same bye by the time it happens.

For example it's pretty hard to have a decent back line with only 2 premiums with a rd 13 bye and ditto for forwards in rd 12.

scotty_222

you have to think.
is it better to field your best side from week 1-10
or field a side from the start that implements the best strategy for the byes.
im starting to think 10 weeks of good scores from your best players is better
than coping a donut in one week of ur byes

Football Factory

Quote from: scotty_222 on January 12, 2012, 09:14:24 AM
you have to think.
is it better to field your best side from week 1-10
or field a side from the start that implements the best strategy for the byes.
im starting to think 10 weeks of good scores from your best players is better
than coping a donut in one week of ur byes

Quote from: lolrocket on January 12, 2012, 01:46:28 AM
You're going to have a donut each in fwds and backs anyway so 3 with a bye in them is fine as long as you have no rookies with the same bye by the time it happens.

For example it's pretty hard to have a decent back line with only 2 premiums with a rd 13 bye and ditto for forwards in rd 12.
Could not agree more we are going to have to work out which round is best to cop the donuts in. Its going to be hard to decide tho because of the example you have made.

rebird

Even with trades we are going to cop at least 2 donuts (Whilst the F/R DPP senario works in theory, for no donuts, I don't think it will work in practice) over the three bye rounds.

If you take 3 keepers in one line with the same bye you just need to confirm that you don't take an extra donut because of it (ie it is one of the 'compulsory' donuts).

Football Factory

Quote from: rebird on January 12, 2012, 01:07:27 PM
Even with trades we are going to cop at least 2 donuts (Whilst the F/R DPP senario works in theory, for no donuts, I don't think it will work in practice) over the three bye rounds.

If you take 3 keepers in one line with the same bye you just need to confirm that you don't take an extra donut because of it (ie it is one of the 'compulsory' donuts).
I dont think there is enough decent F/R DPP links to cover them anyway so yes it works in theory but not worth doing

Kuruki

Im getting a bit annoyed with this whole situation. Everything about 2012 is bye bye bye. Surely someone will come the their senses and fix this issue. Noway should we be guaranteed  donuts before the season even starts. I know we are all in the same boat, but to me it is a flawed competition when we are all going to cop a donut regardless of who we pick. Surely there is a simple fix to this, even dropping a position from each line during the 3 bye weeks. At least that way a donut is actually avoidable with correct planning.
I dont want to moan and groan about it to much, and i am planning for it like everyone else, but it seems to be taking a bit of the fun out of it at this stage for me personally.
it's like being a pitcher in baseball and having the perfect game taken away from you before you even throw the first ball.

Rant over for 2012.

upthemaidens

Quote from: Kuruki on January 12, 2012, 07:01:25 PM
Im getting a bit annoyed with this whole situation. Everything about 2012 is bye bye bye. Surely someone will come the their senses and fix this issue. Noway should we be guaranteed  donuts before the season even starts. I know we are all in the same boat, but to me it is a flawed competition when we are all going to cop a donut regardless of who we pick. Surely there is a simple fix to this, even dropping a position from each line during the 3 bye weeks. At least that way a donut is actually avoidable with correct planning.
I dont want to moan and groan about it to much, and i am planning for it like everyone else, but it seems to be taking a bit of the fun out of it at this stage for me personally.
it's like being a pitcher in baseball and having the perfect game taken away from you before you even throw the first ball.

Rant over for 2012.
but u can avoid donuts, if u plan your team correctly and have alittle luck during the bye rounds. its just another thing to work out, like balancing the byes last year .  everyone has to deal with it so its not like its unfair or anything

Kuruki

Quote from: upthemaidens on January 12, 2012, 07:08:53 PM

Rant over for 2012.
but u can avoid donuts, if u plan your team correctly and have alittle luck during the bye rounds. its just another thing to work out, like balancing the byes last year .  everyone has to deal with it so its not like its unfair or anything

I realize we are all in the same boat that's fine with me. But the pride of going thru the season without a 0 has been taken away this year, before we even begin.

Football Factory

Rant over for 2012.
No you cant avoid donuts..........have to agree with Kuruki this bye crap is doing my head in..I have never seen so many generic teams in Dreamteam ..not good imo

upthemaidens

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on January 12, 2012, 08:34:53 PM

Rant over for 2012.
No you cant avoid donuts..........have to agree with Kuruki this bye crap is doing my head in..I have never seen so many generic teams in Dreamteam ..not good imo
i stand corrected, i thought there was a way of using dpp to cover it, but alas no... :(
  so i guess then it comes down to minimising the zeros and the damage during the byes, either way i like the challengers from year to year.

lolrocket

Remember also that there is a minimum of two donuts considering all 30 of your players are playing. How many people in your DT weren't playing for various reasons rd 11-13 last year? I know for me personally it was probably around 4-5, which means MANY more donuts

Andrew

Quote from: lolrocket on January 13, 2012, 01:39:37 AM
Remember also that there is a minimum of two donuts considering all 30 of your players are playing. How many people in your DT weren't playing for various reasons rd 11-13 last year? I know for me personally it was probably around 4-5, which means MANY more donuts

Wow great point. However from a DT perspective, it's maybe only a huge issue in the week of the first bye. Once the first bye is covered, then the team playing in the next round would've had a bye so more than likely will have more players available (covers the aforementioned problem) and you'll have a group of players to trade in who won't have a bye. The last bye should be the easiest to cover as you have 12 teams to pick players from. But then do you want Collingwood, Geelong, and Hawthorn players who likely will get rested in the lead-in to finals? More headaches...

Obviously sideways trading in the round of the first bye would just lead to the premium you bought costing a doughnut in one of the weeks after. So maybe it's a case of loading up with players with a bye in the 2nd and 3rd week but trade in players who have their bye in the 1st week, once they've completed it? It's going to cost trades whatever you do - but if you're willing to trade and the lesser known players in your squad are playing at the time, I think you can avoid doughnuts.