Main Menu

Riewoldt

Started by cortez, January 11, 2012, 11:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cortez

if there has been other threads i am sorry but just wondering what peoples thoughts are on him getting back to scoring like he used to or because the the game is played now it isnt possible for him to do so? cause atm im tossing up between him and zaharakis.

nichsa673

you want forwards that dont just realy on goals, because if they dont get any then they wont score. if zaharakis doesnt get goals, he will still get a good score becase he gets possessions. Go with zaharakis.

scotty_222

im staying well clear.
with lyon gone who knows what sought of role he will play
too many unknowns for me

stew42

But isn't NRoo renowned for his work rate, his ability to move up the ground to the midfield and one minute later mark and goal inside 50? He certainly isnt like his Tiger cousin... It is clear that he has lots of skill, and is certainly not a bad choice in 2012, where it is nearly impossible to have a risk-free forward line  :-\

Torress

Nroo! i'm also staying away this year. i've got no doubt that the saints will get on top at times during the season and Nroo will have some big games but 'the consistency has obviously gone. Q - can he get SC consistency back - probably not!!

his knee is a real concern, not just for his ability to actually be named but for consistency in his scoring as well. the guy is a freak and has probably (lol obviously) trained the house down for years. the body takes its toll. time to move on to the new brigade. or forget about KPP besides buddy, pav and goodes.

diddley

Quote from: stew42 on January 11, 2012, 01:36:35 PM
But isn't NRoo renowned for his work rate, his ability to move up the ground to the midfield and one minute later mark and goal inside 50? He certainly isnt like his Tiger cousin... It is clear that he has lots of skill, and is certainly not a bad choice in 2012, where it is nearly impossible to have a risk-free forward line  :-\
my point exactly. he has been running up the ground for years. he is no 'sit in the goal square' type of full forward. in fact he is normally CHF, with kosi or someone in the square.
he had a bad year, but he is too good to let that to continue. he will have been kicking himself all preseason, and fixing whatever was wrong.

Cruiseon

Its not his knee that worries me, its the fact that he doesn't take contested marks which have very much come back into the game.

Sure he'll run up the ground and take chest marks on long leads which is ok for DT but for SC I think the value is limited. A contested mark in range and a subsequent goal is worth alot in SC. His approach of running players off their feet has been worked out for awhile now (hence his lack of influence in larger games). To be honest I think his cousin has far more upside other than the fact I think St.Kilda will have a reasonable year.

So I'm thinking cousin Jack as a maybe instead.

charliesheen

Depends on how shot you think his body is, I don't think anyone really knows what his condition really is.   If you don't have confidence in your body, your performance is likely to suffer.

I think he is worth the risk, though not sure I am willing to have all of Didak, Brown, NRoo in the same starting team.

Its all about team balance and being able to cut your losses before shower the fan.

Hippo

i wont even given him 2 thoughts, he just looked too proppy to me!

With his body shape i don't think you get better with age, his best is past him and would be shocked if he came back better than ever.

His price is right for were hes at

dmac07

No chance. Between his injuries, his form, game stlye, age and awkward medium pricing i will be stearing well clear.
A change in gamestyle under new coach harvey may make a slight change but not enough i dont think to make him worth picking up. Behind cloke and franklin by a fair margin i think, and not the value of brown who is the only other key forward i can see being a good pick (though i dont have him myself). Then there is the young forwards on the improve that play more through the middle such as martin, fyfe, zaharakis, or the old brigade of johnson, chapman, okeefe, goodes and co.

There is always the slight chance he could return to his best but it would take a brave person to pick him, and its a thin line between bravery and stupidity.

Speculator

He is my team at the moment and is a strong chance to remain there.

Here are his last 7 years of SC averages:
106.6, 117.1, 114.2, 113.9, 113, 108.9, 87.1.

Here are the DT averages:
88.7, 96.7, 99.3, 99.4, 106.5, 94.3, 84.2.

Those numbers are absolutely ELITE for a forward, and his SC numbers they are elite even for a midfielder.

I can't believe how many people are, not only doubtful about picking him, but are emphatically writing him off. At this stage I am going to pick him and can't believe my luck that (a) I am getting him so cheap, and (b) he is going to be a bit of a unique selection.

dmac07

My question is why is he going improve back to those numbers? Didak has a similar history of scores but wont be picking him either.

Speculator

Thats a fair question, I guess the argument would be that he had season long issues with his knee which have been addressed with off-season surgery. Depending on how effective the surgery was, his performance in 2012 may now be unhindered by his knee. He also had the Nicki Duthie debacle to deal with which may have affected his mindset and focus a little. He doesn’t necessarily need to return to his past scoring levels, he merely needs to improve by 10 ppg to be a worthwhile selection. If he can return to his scoring of 2010 then it will be a brilliant selection. You could never question his work ethic and desire. Only his body. I think it is worth the risk.

nichsa673

I don't think it's a worry about him picking up his form. I think the worry is that the way in which he averaged those great scores, is the way that footy is no longer played. Thjere is no longer space for him to run back into, and take those great marks. Thats why his scoring has gone down so much

Speculator

That may be true (although personally I think the impact of the press on his scoring is overstated) but anyway if he picks up his form which you say is not a problem, then he should be able to pick up the 10ppg we require easily.