Mostly rookie Midfield.

Started by nichsa673, January 10, 2012, 12:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nichsa673

Because there are so many midfield rookies, I am considrenig making a predominently rookie midfield, most likely with Gazza and Selwood. There are so many rookies in the midfield, and I reckon around 7 that could play and average around 70+. It would also give a good look at which premiums to upgrade to.

Thoughts.

j959

only prob is you will get left behind a bit(mainly talking overall ranking) because you will be down anywhere betw 40-120+ pts each week until the time you make your upgrades.

this could be ok if league wins are your only concern, though even then you have to be careful that you don't get 'smashed' in the early rounds of head-to-head until you start upgrading as well.

think also even more important for SC, you really need those superstars as the points are weighted towards a bias for the 'game-changers/makers' ...

Ringo

+1 Agree 100% Be well and truly left behind with a 2 Prem 4 Rookie Midfield.  You will be relying on 2 of the 4 to score in excess of 100 points each to maintain pace with others very risky.
Can not comment on the rookies until we see the NAB cup as it is silly to rate now.  One that is not there that also should be considered is Stephen Cliifton.
On the other hand oneor 2  may become keepers  (Heppell last year)
Your decision to weigh up which is the better option.

kilbluff1985

Last year was my first season and did this strategy deciding to leave cash in the bank and upgrade the rookies when they make money seemed like a good idea at the time but if your rookies don't play every game your stuffed and you will lose to many league games in the first half and be playing catch up in the second half and this strategy uses up more of your trades also.

Thought i was doing reasonable last year made it in to 8th spot but after injuries, upgrades and rookies not playing i had no trades left and could not trade Pavlich, H.Shaw, Fyfe and Newman who got injured or suspended which killed me in the end

So this year keeping as many trades as i can until second half of the season

Turkies

I'm thinking the same thing. I haven't decided on anything yet (waiting till NAB Cup and seeing which rookies play rd 1).

I'm thinking of having 2 DPP rookies (def/mid and mid/fwd), 2 premo's (Swan/GAJ), and then picking whichever rookies look the best.  However if hayes or barlow or anyone else is looking like they are coming out firing I may pick them up instead of a rookie.

I disagree about being left behind. The best midfield rookies could be averaging 80+, whilst most FWD rookies would struggle to hit 70, as well as DEF rookies.  so you can spend 98k on a midfield rookie who will score more, or 98k on a DEF rookie that will score less... you're getting much better value picking the rookies that will score more. And with so many premo FWDs this year, you could have a starting lineup that included franklin, zaha, martin, sidebottom, stevieJ and Jbrown. Although FWD premos don't score as much as mids, they cost less, so you can have a stacked def and fwd line to make up the points you'd be losing from not having premium midfields.

To me it seems silly to stick to a 4-4 structure religiously, when there seems to be so many good mid rookies available, especially compared to def/fwd rookies. I'm just going to go with whatever will leave me with the best players in rd1. If the NAB cup comes and it turns out these players are overrated or aren't selected rd1, i'll shy away from this strategy.

Also to kilbluff, you shouldn't have left so much cash in the bank, as that WILL leave you behind. You won't lose trades if instead of leaving money in the bank for upgrades, you spend almost all of it and pick another premo in FWD/DEF line. I agree though if your rookies don't play you're screwed, but we are fortunate to have GWS with a ton of rookies to choose from. Not all will be heavily rotated, and I'll have 2 bench spots + 2 DPP players, so thats like having 4 backup players for my midfield.

It just seems smarter to adapt based on which premos/rooks/midpricers are available, rather than sticking to a cookie cutter strategy.

Speculator

I don't think this strategy is as silly as it sounds. For each extra rookie you have on the ground in your midfield you have one less somewhere else. Generally speaking the midfield rookies are generally better cash cows and point accumulators than forward or back rookies.

As an example let's say you are going with a 2 rookie midfield that looks like this:

MID - 1. Ablett, 2. Selwood, 3. Watson, 4. Barlow, 5. Shiels, 6. McDonald

and you have a forward line like this:

FWD - 1. Chapman, 2. Martin, 3. Zaharakis, 4. Riewoldt, 5, Brown, 6. Saad, 7. Pfeiffer.

Now you decide to undertake the 4 rookie midfield strategy, and make your team look like this:

MID - 1. Ablett, 2. Selwood, 3. Horsley, 4. Clifton 5. Shiels, 6. McDonald

FWD -  1 Franklin, 2. Goodes, 3. Chapman, 4. Martin, 5. Zaharakis, 6. Riewoldt, , 7. Brown

You have effectively lost Watson, Barlow, Saad and Pfeiffer and gained Franklin, Goodes, Clifton and Horsley. It could very well be argued that you have improved your team and are at no more disadvantage than you would have been with a 2 rookie midfield. In fact it could be argued that with the imroved quality and job security of the 2 rookies you have brought in, you have in fact enhanced your team by undertaking the 4 rookie midfield strategy.

I'm looking at a 3 midfield rookie strategy myself and have not yet ruled out a 4 rookie midfield.

CuStArDaRm

Not a terrible idea but as stated you probably need a little more consistency across the board to not fall behind because obviously prem mids are the best scorers and you may fall behind the 8 ball a bit. Personally I wouldn't go less than 3 Prem mids.

Thats what I had for a while but have managed to squeeze in Barlow now with some cash to spare so basically have 4 guns now.

As always, we have to wait and see, over the past couple seasons at this time of the year half my team is bound to change by season start so who knows you could be onto a winner.
Personally I think you have to have at least 3 prem mids and they have to be of the highest variety also. Guys who with a good eduacated guess will finish in the top 6 mids by seasons end

Turkies

Quote from: CuStArDaRm on January 10, 2012, 01:59:31 PM
Not a terrible idea but as stated you probably need a little more consistency across the board to not fall behind because obviously prem mids are the best scorers and you may fall behind the 8 ball a bit. Personally I wouldn't go less than 3 Prem mids.

Thats what I had for a while but have managed to squeeze in Barlow now with some cash to spare so basically have 4 guns now.

As always, we have to wait and see, over the past couple seasons at this time of the year half my team is bound to change by season start so who knows you could be onto a winner.
Personally I think you have to have at least 3 prem mids and they have to be of the highest variety also. Guys who with a good eduacated guess will finish in the top 6 mids by seasons end

again, i don't think you'd be left behind. e.g, dropping rocky/murphy leaving you with 1.1mil, after picking up 2 mid rooks you have 900k. upgrading 2 FWD rooks to D.Martin and Sidebottom costs 670k, which gives you another 230k to upgrade a 3rd fwd rookie to Jbrown....

also, the mid rookies you pick up, are likely to average much more then the FWD rookies you dropped.

Speculator

I don't think you'd be left behind either. It all depends on the players you select. Last year I went with a 2 gun, 6 rookie stragety and it was fantastic. I smashed my leagues and had a healthy overall ranking. The most important thing is that you select players who score above what they are pricede at. It matters not where on the field they are.

Lions01

Seen an interview with the person who won supercoach last year, he said that the year prior he trialed an 8 Rookie Mid. He said he finished 700ish overall but reverted back to a more tried and true method the year he won. Biggest fault with that would have been losing a solid captain option at the start of the year

Can see merit in it, but think you really need a few of the big boys from the start.   

nichsa673

Yea, I wouldn't go fully rookie midfield. The premiums I would porbably get are Ablett and Selwood. Ablett would probs be my captain every week, and I think Selwood can up hi average to 120. If you exclude the opening game, and the two on either side of his suspension, as ridiculous as that suspension was, hes average jumps up. He is a freak, hopefully the captaincy will elevate his game. alla - Nick Maxwell.

Any other players you think I should get as premiums?

Turkies

I'm going swan over selwood, swan had the best avg and it jumps even higher if u take out the games he played injured through, he's just a freak. selwood plays too hard and risks getting his head taken off. if you're doing SC he would be better, but in SC I'd go pendles over him. I think with this 2 prem strategy you gotta pick up the most ultra-insane-superstar-premiums that you can get, which IMO is 2 of swan/gaj/pendles. selwood might be my 2nd or 3rd upgrade target

Impromptu

Quote from: Lions01 on January 10, 2012, 04:49:17 PM
Seen an interview with the person who won supercoach last year, he said that the year prior he trialed an 8 Rookie Mid. He said he finished 700ish overall but reverted back to a more tried and true method the year he won. Biggest fault with that would have been losing a solid captain option at the start of the year

Can see merit in it, but think you really need a few of the big boys from the start.

Yes, in 2010, I had ALL 8 rookie midfield and finished 724. Yes, the captain choice killed me, so Ablett would possibly have been good. 

Personally, I believe my team in 2010 is better than 2011 (long story!!), however 2011 I got a bit lucky.

2012 - I don't want to persuade you or dissuade you from this strategy, but I see there are merits, however I don't think this year is the year.  Naturally, high risk is high return. :) :) :)  Good luck to whoever takes this strategy  :) :) :)

FWIW I will have 2-4 premiums in the midfield (not 0-1)

Ziplock

what the flower!

8 rookies... my god, that's ridiculous :P

I mean, 7 would be pushing it, and I'm all for taking risks :P

valkorum

I have gone with this strategy before (2 seasons ago from memory).  There are 2 key points you need to take in to consideration

1)  You need a really strong rookie mid draft which will give you 7 solid mid options (keep 1 spot for a perma captain)
2)  Forwards and backs need to be really strong due to the extra money you are saving - you really need to pick 6 keepers in each row

Your poll only gives 7 options, you really need about 12 - 15 rookie mids with a chance to play round 1 so you can choose the best 7 just before lockout.