Sydney & GWS - Round 1 "bye"

Started by Andrew, January 10, 2012, 04:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Has anyone noticed the weird fixturing for Round 1? GWS v Sydney on a Saturday night, followed days later by the Thursday Carlton v Richmond night game as usual the past few seasons, the Friday night game, and the rest on Saturday & Sunday. An extra bye for both GWS & Sydney after their first game! Sydney are helped in particular by having a round 12 bye.

Makes me think Goodes is worth a shot...

Colliwobblers

Yeah it's outright stupid how the first round is fixtured, but regardless of that goodes is a slow starter and a late bloomer "traditianally" so i wouldnt start with him look to upgrade to him thats just me tho.

Adamant

Quote from: Colliwobblers on January 10, 2012, 04:38:56 AM
Yeah it's outright stupid how the first round is fixtured, but regardless of that goodes is a slow starter and a late bloomer "traditianally" so i wouldnt start with him look to upgrade to him thats just me tho.
+1
Goodes is known to kill the second half of a season and therfore would be the perfect upgrade target. He would be good for the VC loophole tho.

elephants

Might be looking at a Mumford captain loophole.....?

Speculator

Isn't it impossible to use the loophole unless you have a non-playing player selected as your captain? Big price to pay for using the loophole this year. I won't be selecting a non-starter in my initial squad of 30 for anything.

Andrew

Definately stupid fixturing I agree, AFL at their very best once again. In regards to loopholes/lockouts, how many would there be this season? I'd hope 3: one for the Sydney game, one for the Thursday night, then one for the Friday night. Otherwise we will all be taking leaps of faith for Saturday/Sunday team selections..!

Quote from: Adamant on January 10, 2012, 04:51:44 AM
Quote from: Colliwobblers on January 10, 2012, 04:38:56 AM

+1
Goodes is known to kill the second half of a season and therfore would be the perfect upgrade target. He would be good for the VC loophole tho.

I had Goodes from the start last season and he did alright in the first half of the year, and this year gets two byes in the first 12 rounds..! He is very expensive this season but Sydney have a decent run of fixtures early and if you're saying he's definately worth getting, why not save a trade?

I'll be weighing up between him and Dustin Martin anyway, I think.

rebird

Quote from: Speculator on January 10, 2012, 02:14:07 PM
Isn't it impossible to use the loophole unless you have a non-playing player selected as your captain? Big price to pay for using the loophole this year. I won't be selecting a non-starter in my initial squad of 30 for anything.

Possible in Round 1 if you haven't selected a Captain at all!

elephants

Quote from: rebird on January 11, 2012, 12:21:17 PM
Quote from: Speculator on January 10, 2012, 02:14:07 PM
Possible in Round 1 if you haven't selected a Captain at all!
Yep, this is what i'll be doing.

The F.A.R.K.

This sucks because you might want to play around with your team structure for the next week but you will be stuck because of the Sydney GWS players in your team.

For example you pick a GWS rookie but a couple of days later a rookie from another club sets it on fire and gets a game round 1 but you cant get him

TheMailman

Yeah I wouldnt be bothered with picking a player specifically for a first round loophole

If you have Mumford or Goodes, use them

Andrew

Quote from: The FARK Academy on January 11, 2012, 05:44:35 PM
This sucks because you might want to play around with your team structure for the next week but you will be stuck because of the Sydney GWS players in your team.

For example you pick a GWS rookie but a couple of days later a rookie from another club sets it on fire and gets a game round 1 but you cant get him

I do agree, but there is a flip-side. If any of your Sydney/GWS pick up an injury in that game, you should know the extent of it by the time you have to lock in your squad again. So you'd be able to plan accordingly.

Scrads

Yeah, slightly frustrating. Also makes Goodes a juicy starter-choice. Cant fit him in atm but working on it.

Impromptu

Quote from: Andrew on January 10, 2012, 10:26:36 PM
I had Goodes from the start last season and he did alright in the first half of the year, and this year gets two byes in the first 12 rounds..! He is very expensive this season but Sydney have a decent run of fixtures early and if you're saying he's definately worth getting, why not save a trade?

I'll be weighing up between him and Dustin Martin anyway, I think.

I had Goodes and ROK all last year and they were good.

Kuruki

Quote from: The F.A.R.K. on January 11, 2012, 05:44:35 PM

Do the other teams play games in the period between this match and their round 1 matches?