Who is your stay away form player?

Started by nichsa673, January 09, 2012, 01:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Wolf67 on January 19, 2012, 02:34:11 PM
Quote from: Colliwobblers on January 19, 2012, 05:04:08 AM
I like Gibson, and i seem to remember being frustrated waiting for pedersen to get his 3rd game, never said he wasn't good, quite the opposite, he should have been playing that 3rd game !!!!!

Then there was harper and richardson......
Yeah good point Colliwobblers.  I was in the same boat.  It was very frustrating waiting for pederson to get a game. after scoring 114Sc points in R1 and then getting dropped for Goldstein and Petrie to return.  I think it took until about R7 for him to get a regular game, and it frustrated a lot of us supercoaches.  He is a KPP, not a ruckman so i'm not sure why they didn't play him.

Totally agree with you on Richo.  Him and issac Smith dominated for North Ballarat in 2010.  Richo was built up to be the next big thing, but his disposal let him down.  He racked up big numbers in the VFL even last year, but just couldn't get a game, and when he did, he didn't perform or didn't get enough game time.  Harper showed some good signs, but along with Atley probably not a massive SC scorer, which wasn't surprising being 18yo's.

I've always had reservations about 18yo players, a couple of exceptions last year were libba and heppell, and some others, but I tend to like the mature aged recruits, so I'll keep an eye on Gibson along with a lot of other mature age players, but I may stay away from the 18yo's unless they are outstanding.   

well said wolf, and htere is a good post somewher on this site with the list of mature aged recruits it is a comprehensive list and a bunch of great players too imo. funny thing is a lot of the best mature aged recruits this year are rookie listed so we have to wait for the promotions to get on them.

Wolf67

Thanks Colliwobblers, i'm very keen to have a look at that list.  I've always liked the older first year recruits such as barlow, broughton, and anthony.  I liked the jpod in 2010 but I think i was the only bloke in australia to not pick him when he was on the bubble.  I had injuries in defence to deal with that week, and it was very costly for me watching him rack up points each week for my opponent.  I hope a few of this years batch can get off that rookie list.

Last year I took a strategy of completely avoiding top 10 draft picks due to the hefty price tag.  It paid good dividends with one of my teams getting as high as 7 overall mid season, but the team fell away a bit towards the end of the year and I think I finished about 180 overall for the year.  E South was the team which I managed on behalf of my wife. 

The only players I rated in the top 10 as value for money last year were Swallow and Heppel, and to a lesser extent, Prestia, but I gave them all a miss in favour of cheaper rookies to save cash.

The only real regret last year was not having heppel, but I my starting back rookies were pederson, lower, and buckley.  I squeezed out heppel just before lockout to free up some cash to get nick reiwoldt of all people.  Geez, did i regret that move for about 24 weeks.  I think a lot of us had a gutful of nick roo by the end of the year though.   

I started curnow, libba, harris, pittard and atley in the mids.

My starting fwd rookies were tapscott, darling, richardson and matera, so when I did have an 18yo or 19yo, he was at the cheaper end of the rookie price scale.   

Same strategy for the wolf again this year so i'm very keen to have a look at the list of mature aged recruits, so I will have a look for that list on this site.  I like your work Colliwobblers, so i'm looking forward to bouncing a few ideas around with yourself and the rest of the guys on this site again this year.

Cheers
Wolf

Colliwobblers

wow nice effort last season wolf, and good luck this season, cant remember where that mature age thread is if i find it ill message you the link.

I agree with you on the high draft picks also, there are so many "basic" priced rooks this season that look awesom im saving my money, buntine and coniglio and wingard and hayes and tyson and maybe a couple of others have the potential to pull a swallow or a curnow and make you bleed for not having them but if the basic rookies cash cow up nice and fast you'll have full lines of premiums anyway so the gun rook keepers wont hurt you then for not having them.

bring on the nab cup and may the best rookie win :)

Wolf67

Thanks Colliwobblers.  Love your work.  Some good names mentioned in your above post. 

I'll no doubt have some tough decisions throughout the season and it's always good to get opinions from coaches such as yourself. 

Likewise, all the best for season 2012, and look forward to chatting to you throughout the season. 

CFC 1979

yorgis

higgo DID PLAY 18 games last year and ave about 85 [ 'bout the same as petrie martin sidey and zaha] i .m not saying to pick

him but he was 'nt that bad

yorgis

By the way stay away from danger, tippett and taylor walker UUUUUUUUUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nichsa673

why danger. have you seen progress reports from the crows???

CuStArDaRm

ben_020285

My stay away from players mostly consist of guys who have burnt me in the past:

Shaun Higgins
Nick Riewoldt
Daniel Cross
Chris Knights
Heath Grundy

Plus this seasons players that I wont be going near:

Alan Didak
Jason Porplyzia

ando_10

coolfugitiv0

Didak. Thankful I got rid of him early last season.

upthemaidens

the 2 that burnt me last year  duffman and patty"puffball"ryder

Bosh

Boak and Shaun Higgins both burnt me bad last year.

Obese Arachnid

Why would you stay away from a FORM player? Sorry couldn't resist. :o