Starter VS Upgrade target.

Started by nichsa673, January 07, 2012, 07:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nichsa673

I can't decide whether to get Pendelbury in my starting team, or get a combination of Lenny Haye and Michael Barlow in the midfield. Here is my team at the moment.

DEF: B. Goddard, B. Deledio, H. Scotland, D. Heppell, N. Grima, S. Docherty, L. Spurr (B. Ellis, B. Smedts)
MID: G. Ablett jnr, J. Selwood, M. Barlow, L. Hayes, C. Smith, D. Shiel (L. Brown, E. Kavanagh)
RUC: S. Mumford, M. Leuenberger (J. Giles, O. Stephenson)
FWD: L. Franklin, A. Goodes, D. Martin, A. Christensen, J. Brown, T. Dickson, T. Walsh (A. Treloar, D. Zorko)
CASH LEFT: $9,100

Kuruki

That's what im also trying to deal with.
I dont want to miss out on what could be 2 premium keepers at such a cheap price. But it is a risk taking both. If it fails other teams would have had an extra one maybe even two premium mids in there side from day one.
I think everything is going to come down to how good Barlow and Hayes look in the NAB. If they look good there, i think it will force me to reshuffle my whole team. I dont want to miss that boat.
I think for now the safe option is to go three fit premiums and one of Hayes or Barlow.

ronl

Yea, at this stage it's a big risk taking Barlow OR Hayes, it's a massive risk taking both.  If they tear it up in the NAB everyone will want one or both. We just have to wait and see.

miffysp

For me Hayes is too old to get back to his best after such a bad injury and a massive break from the game. We all saw that Barlow was getting back into the swing of things towards the end of last year. It's Barlow hands down if taking one of them. Instead of getting Hayes. I'd rather take a gamble on an up and comer. There's plenty of promising choices

Andrew

St. Kilda's first five games:
Power (away)
Suns (home)
Bulldogs
Dockers (home)
Melbourne

Then between round 10-12 leading up to the Saints bye: Richmond, Suns (a), and Adelaide (a) and then they play North in round 14 after the bye.

I look closely at the fixtures to see who has a softer draw than others at the start and St. Kilda's first month is one of the softest. I look closely at this largely because of the "Starter v Upgrader target" weigh-up that all keen DT coaches will go through. But it particularly comes into play for a mid-pricer who you may look to upgrade later in the season. Hayes is alot more tempting for me looking at this draw, but is he too expensive at $382k? It's an awkward price and I'm weighing up whether Hayes is worth the risk and a likely trade later in the season compared to a genuine premium.

Barlow probably has a higher scoring potential and I agree with comments above that taking on both him & Hayes would be a huge risk, a season-defining risk for any coach. NAB Cup will probably decide if one or the other is worthwhile but like alot of decisions I'm torn as Freo have a tough draw early but it gets easy for them from round 15 onwards...

Cicjose

that is a soft draw to start with

Colliwobblers

im taking barlow in the mids and leaving hayes, mostly for the reason stated above, but for the little extra barlow is more likely a keeper and i think u want to start with 4 premium/keepers in your mids.

chaosAD

One thing in Lenny's favor is he won't slow down because of his knee! he has never been quick anyway! He's just a magnet and the man that runs that midfield engine room! Proven gun and prob a better version a Sam Mitchell from last year. These old blokes all still kne how to find the footy and will never see a tag because other teams will focuse on dal santo,Goddard, montages etc lock for me!

Speculator

I'm getting both, plus ablett, and 5 rookies

Andrew

Quote from: chaosAD on January 08, 2012, 10:10:10 AM
One thing in Lenny's favor is he won't slow down because of his knee! he has never been quick anyway! He's just a magnet and the man that runs that midfield engine room! Proven gun and prob a better version a Sam Mitchell from last year. These old blokes all still kne how to find the footy and will never see a tag because other teams will focuse on dal santo,Goddard, montages etc lock for me!

Absolutely agree. Hayes is JUST squeezed out by Barlow for mine, but given good NAB Cup form for both and I'll pick both along with Swan & Ablett.

Quote from: Cicjose on January 08, 2012, 05:11:40 AM
that is a soft draw to start with

Yeah I'm picking Nick Riewoldt because of St. Kilda's easy start. Hoping he's rejuvenated under a new coach.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Speculator on January 08, 2012, 10:35:53 AM
I'm getting both, plus ablett, and 5 rookies

Swan - Ablett - Barlow - Hayes - rooks (is this midfield under done?)
Ablett - Barlow - Hayes - rooks ( is this midfield under done? )

tempting options but even if both Barlow and Hayes show form in Nab cup is this a sensible starting midfield and those taking barlow and or hayes what are your thoughts, keepers, or later sideways trades to gun premiums ?

nichsa673

The first one is good, the second one is underdone. And I would go with Pedelbury instead of Swan

Andrew

Quote from: nichsa673 on January 08, 2012, 05:31:49 PM
The first one is good, the second one is underdone. And I would go with Pedelbury instead of Swan

The first one is good, but why Pendlebury over Swan? I'd have Boyd over Pendlebury.

nichsa673

Quote from: Andrew on January 08, 2012, 05:40:12 PM

The first one is good, but why Pendlebury over Swan? I'd have Boyd over Pendlebury.

Not saying it's bad, but why Boyd over Pendelbury

Kuruki

Quote from: nichsa673 on January 08, 2012, 07:07:58 PM
Quote from: Andrew on January 08, 2012, 05:40:12 PM

Not saying it's bad, but why Boyd over Pendelbury

Boyd could be a unique this year by the look's of everyone's teams. He is still pumping out the scores and it's only his age that has everyone concerned. He is like a fine wine, his scoring is getting better with age.