Hire a DT Detective - Player Research By Request Ongoing

Started by Colliwobblers, January 05, 2012, 06:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picker_man

Yeah i would love info on johncock to if ya could cw
and just a lil thought i would drop longers rating to around a 4 myself m8 just see no real game time for him this year and hes overpriced, and im just assuming you use those rankings for a guide for someone to pick him?? other then that youve been spot on every other time ;D

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Ziplock on January 17, 2012, 09:54:09 PM
I was just disagreeing with your rating of 9/10. I would honestly drop him down to a 5.

Brisbane took him because he was so highly touted :P People expected him to go closer to just inside, or just outside the top 5.

Fact is, they don't need him. A couple of games here and there, maybe used as the sub occasionally, but not really THAT great of an option :P

Modified 5.5 he must have talent right? But i also muct agree with your point and your experience :) Thanks for the feedback.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: picker_man on January 17, 2012, 10:45:38 PM
Yeah i would love info on johncock to if ya could cw
and just a lil thought i would drop longers rating to around a 4 myself m8 just see no real game time for him this year and hes overpriced, and im just assuming you use those rankings for a guide for someone to pick him?? other then that youve been spot on every other time ;D

Yeah I always listen to Zip, thats why I like his feedback on here, I have dropped it to 5.5 because the rating goes to 4 major categories - player ability - liklihood of playing - role they will play - what the club thinks/went through to get them. Sounds like you were spot on with this one also, I may have got caught up in the hype and expected him to get more of a run than he will, makes it a shame the lions got him because 5 years for a ruck to depelop to max ability, better the kid gets started sooner rather than later.

5.5 is harsh but all the minus marks hae to go down to as you both said limited expectation of game time, if that changes tho so should his rating.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: footy4life on January 17, 2012, 10:35:05 PM
Hey, just wondering how you think Dyson Heppell will go this year?

Forget about a write up I will list a link on this web site for you to look over peoples thoughts. On heppell it is a personal decision many are off him many are on him, there are the 2nd year curse skeptics and there are the he's not worth the money people.

Me personaly and based on his improved experience after last season, his improved match fitness after last season, his full pre-season, his bulking up, considerably, his being listed as a defender, his liklihood of playing in the middle, all adds up to a LOCK for me.

Dyson Heppell    
#21   Essendon Bombers
Height: 189cm     Weight: 81kg     Position: Defender
Last Drafted: Round 1, Pick #8 2010 National Draft
Last Drafted By: Essendon Bombers
Supercoach Price: $452,400   
Dreamteam Price: $415,900

DISCUSSION: http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,45376.0.html

POLL: http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,50465.0.html

An outstanding debut season justified Essendon’s delight in snapping up the classy defender in last year’s NAB AFL Draft. Stationed mostly off half-back, he played every match and averaged 21 disposals. The left-footer led the club in marks (132) and handballs (231), and was always calm under pressure. Was his club’s first winner of the NAB AFL Rising Star award, and was also voted the AFLPA’s best first-year player.

Player honours: Morrish Medal 2010.

http://dreamteamtalk.com/2012/01/25/deck-of-dream-team-2012-dyson-heppell/

Season 2011 Totals/Averages

GM    K    HB    D    M    G    B    T    HO    GA    GC    I50    FF    FA    DT *    SC *
Total    23    262    231    493    132    3    4    63    13    12    15    58    15    11    1,850    1,836
Average    23    11.4    10.0    21.4    5.7    0.1    0.2    2.7    0.6    0.5    0.6    2.5    0.6    0.5    84.1    83.5

FULL NAB CUP GAME:

Player Name   K   H   D   M   HO   T   FF   FA   SG   G   B   DT
11   Dyson Heppell   11   6   17   3   2   1   2   2   0   0   0   56

Premium Player Rating (DEF) 8/10 - and it's just minus 1 for the 2nd year curse or i'd be tempted to go .... well 9, i dont believe in tens. Looked bigger but slower in the nab cup game, will gain speed with match fitness and is needed by the bombers as an outside running attacking midfielder, NEEDED. May play a bit off half back but should see more mid time.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: AndrewY on January 17, 2012, 10:38:51 PM
Any info on Stiffy Joncock?

Graham Johncock (ADE) DEF $346,000
#18   Adelaide Crows
Age: 29yr 2mth    Games: 206     Born: October 21, 1982   
Height: 180cm     Weight: 87kg     Position: Defender
Last Drafted: Round 5, Pick #67 2000 National Draft
Last Drafted By: Adelaide Crows

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-adelaide-crows--graham-johncock

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/profile.php?firstname=Graham&surname=Johncock

http://www.afc.com.au/tabid/4506/Default.aspx?playerid=13956

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=954

Ok so I can't find muc hof anything to tell you where he is at or what we can expect from Johncock in 2012, I can say he got better last year as the year went on and I don't think there will be a single Crow who won't do better under the new coaching staff.

Mid Priced Player Rating 6.5/10 (DEF) - not exactly dirt ceap at his price and goes up against the likes of grimes and waters at that price to win selection in your team. He is a good solid capable player with footy smarts and plenty of ability, what role he plays is critical to his DT viability, if he can be a rebound defender great he may be worthwhile, if he is given the job on locking down opposition fwds, there is a bad score for you that week. Too many unknows at this point of the season he is not weritten about in any pre-season wraps that i can find so really we will need to see how he is going fitness wise and what role he will be given in 2012. Not for me but you could do a lot worse. Needs a lift of 20 points per game to be a keeper imo.

To be honest on this guy for an oppinion on how is he going and how will he do in 2012, I am not sure anyone knows just yet and to find out might be worth starting a thread on him to drag the info out a sneaky crows insider on here.

elephants

Hey matey wouldn't mind your thoughts on big Saint Nick. Sorry if you've done him and i missed him...

elephants

And Trent West if he hasn't been done already? Love your work mate ;)

Colliwobblers

Quote from: elephants on January 18, 2012, 02:29:50 AM
Hey matey wouldn't mind your thoughts on big Saint Nick. Sorry if you've done him and i missed him...

Not at all Elephants, anything for you and an interesting question indeed. So I won't go into all the articles and who he is business because we all know that, what I will do is outline the pro's and cons and the potential impct changes at the club may have on him.

Nick Riewoldt (STK) FWD $416,700
#12   St Kilda Saints
Age: 29yr 3mth    Games: 219     Born: October 17, 1982   
Height: 193cm     Weight: 96kg     Position: Forward
Last Drafted: Priority Pick #1 2000 National Draft
Last Drafted By: St Kilda Saints

STATS:   http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pr-st-kilda-saints--nick-riewoldt

OK so!!! NRoo, what a dud right, past his prime right, not for DT anymore right, not worth having right, needs a lot to change to be worth having right, based on 2011 he is not in my side right,..... WRONG

Lets have a look at 2011, and lets say it was a tough year for NRoo at the same time.

10 scores over 90
3 tons 121, 134 and lets go 134 again!
11 scores under 90
3 shockers 29,43 and we'll go 43 again!

So NRoo has the potential to score big tons, he has split his premium games and his average games about 50/50 he has had 3 super games and 3 clanger dud bog games.

At this stage we are undecided.

Now lets look at what might change in 2012 to see if we want to risk NRoo, firstly lets lock away the man himself, nothing will change he will still be 110% commited he will be fit he will be determined and dedicated and give it his all from the first bounce to the last bounce in 2012.

What has changed around him?  The new coach and his new game plan = plus plus for NRoo, you can bet the defensive focus of the saints game will evolve to a more attacking style, the prior has had its time and the new coach knows it. More attacking = more ball for NRoo if it works.

Part of making it work is the return of a key midfielder missing last year in Lenny Hayes, yes he is old yes he may not be a DT stud anymore, but he is a handy and experienced and smart midfielder to have and he will make an impact you can be sure of that.

Another part is winning ball at the stoppages, a big part of that is the ruckman and Mcevoy is on the rise to be sure, dalsanto  finsihed last season very well also and that helps, steven is someone to look out for in the middle, the ball should go forward quite a bit.

So what about NRoo being triple teamed and never getting his hands on the pill?? is there no one up fwd to help him out, provide anothe viable target??? YES we have someone, apparantly kozzie is flying very fit very pumped and primed for 2012, now if he can draw a defender or two NRoo has a much easier time of being NRoo.

There are other factors, Likely St Kilda are past thier premiership window and that can lead to complacency, poor form, lack of motivation and both poor team results and individual player results. I think under the new coach and with the pride they have gained over the past few years (nevermind the off field rubbish) thats not the way the saints will go and it certainly isnt the way NRoo will go.

Premium (Bordering on Mid Priced) Ranking 8/10 (FWD) - he runs like buddy and finds his own ball. NRoo has proven in a shocking season 2011 that he still has what it takes to pump out BIG tons, his consistancy and his teams last season was lacking and the fear is it may be lacking again this year, but there are a lot more possitives i feel for NRoo than there are negatives, its a brave pick due to his cost but it may be the pick of the season and the same can be said dor brown, if these calibre of FINE players fire they firs big and NRoo is not washed up yet.

elephants

mezzoculo

Holy moley - this is the most informative pre-season thread hands down! Great work colli and zip!

Any chance you could dig up a little info on Sam Gibson (Nth rookie), Tom Bell (Car rookie) and Josh Caddy (GCS)?

On Bell - the Blues have space on their primary list for two rookies (from memory) and he's been carving up pre-season to date  (reckon the other spot will be for Curnow again).

North also have (at least) one vacancy on the primary list and Gibson seems to have the pedigree to be a great foil to the Roos quality midfielders. Plus, as a mature age selection, he shouldn't get treated as shabbily as other first year players (Atley etc).

EDIT:
Hmmm... I see that Caddy has been covered in the player profiles thread. Still, you reckon he's a good 'mid-price' pick? Shouldn't get vested (unlike this year's top price rookies) and is in a team where a player of his skill, speed and size is highly desired.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: elephants on January 18, 2012, 02:37:49 AM
And Trent West if he hasn't been done already? Love your work mate ;)

Trent West (GEE) RUCK $338,300   
#12   Geelong Cats
Age: 24yr 3mth    Games: 20     Born: October 17, 1987   
Height: 198cm     Weight: 104kg     Position: Ruck
Last Drafted: Round 2, Pick #31 2005 National Draft
Last Drafted By: Geelong Cats

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128157/default.aspx
Outlook
The Cats’ faith in West and the back-up ruckman’s persistence paid off when he played his part in securing Geelong’s third premiership in the past five years. Limited opportunities in the previous five seasons saw him manage just 11 games, but he came of age at the right time of the year. Was recalled to the side in round 17 against the Brisbane Lions and gave great support to Brad Ottens. Took some fine contested marks in the finals and can stake his claim as the club’s No. 1 ruckman.

SEASON BY SEASON HIGHLIGHTS
    Had breakthrough season that culminated in premiership
    Played nine games incl all three finals
    Was good in GF with 25 hit outs
    Strong 4th qtr mark & goal in QF vs Hawthorn sealed Cats win
    Set season career bests with 183 hit outs, 83 disposals, seven goals and 36 tackles
    Set new career game highs with 14 disposals vs Rich (rd 18), 29 hit outs vs GC (rd 20) and twice kicked two goals
    Had six tackles in each of his first four games of the season (rd 17-20)
    Didn’t break into team until rd 17 but made most of chance
    Played four games and kicked two goals at AFL level
    Had a career high 17 hit outs and four tackles in rd 13 win over Essendon
    Set career best with five marks in rd 14 win over North
    Kicked goals in rd 14 vs North and rd 18 vs Sydney
    Also played 12 VFL games and kicked 10 goals
    Named in best players six times
    Played one senior game, vs. Collingwood in rd 3
    Had then career best 16 hit outs vs. Magpies
    Played 18 VFL games, averaging 20 hit outs per game and 15 possessions
    Also kicked 11 VFL goals
    Finished 4th in the Cats VFL best & fairest
    Broke through for AFL debut, playing six games (5-1)
    Debut came in rd 1 vs. Port Power
    Kicked his first AFL goal in rd 2 vs. Essendon
    Had season best 12 hit outs vs. Collingwood in rd 9 at MCG
    Spent another season at VFL level
    Member of Geelong’s VFL premiership team
    Spent first season with Geelong at VFL level
    Member of Cats VFL grand final team
    Won TAC Cup premiership with Gippsland
    Represented Vic Country at U18 national championship

2011 Dream Team Stats

Round    Price    Score
17    $191,000    67    
18    $191,000    95    
19    $191,000    87    
20    $223,100    98    
21    $256,500    -    
22    $256,500    -    
23    $256,500    64    
24    $271,600    45    

On the back of these games he played through the finals including the GF and did very very well.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/players/playerprofile/trentwest/tabid/8137/playerid/15612/category/senior/season/2011/selected/bio/default.aspx

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/profile.php?firstname=Trent&surname=West

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/09/30/282835_gfc.html

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=1801

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7CpYhKzlUc

Mid Priced Player Rating 8.5/10 (RUCK) - high score based on the fact he is basically ready for his coming of age - break out season as a ruckman, around the 5 year marf for rucks rather than the normal 3 year for others. He is strong big and very experienced, ready for afl footy as he proved in teh finals and last rounds of 2011. He will be teh #1 ruck at the cattery for 2011 so job security and TOG will be optimum. Think he will average 80-90 this season could be more will not be much less if any at all. The only risk is that we havent seen him achieve what we want him to this season in teh afl previously.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: mezzoculo on January 18, 2012, 01:50:38 PM
Holy moley - this is the most informative pre-season thread hands down! Great work colli and zip!
Any chance you could dig up a little info on Sam Gibson (Nth rookie), Tom Bell (Car rookie) and Josh Caddy (GCS)?
EDIT:
Hmmm... I see that Caddy has been covered in the player profiles thread. Still, you reckon he's a good 'mid-price' pick? Shouldn't get vested (unlike this year's top price rookies) and is in a team where a player of his skill, speed and size is highly desired.

Josh Caddy (GCS) MID $249,300   
#42   Gold Coast Suns
Age: 19yr 3mth    Games: 2     Born: September 28, 1992   
Height: 186cm     Weight: 82kg     Position: Midfield
Last Drafted: Round 1, Pick #7 2010 National Draft
Last Drafted By: Gold Coast Suns

2011 Dream Team Stats

Round    Price    Score
23    $136,500    55    
24    $136,500    89    

Pre-season - Caddy went to Arizona = should be in great shape and fitness, reports on his preseason are impressive (below).

Summer superstar
While captain Gary Ablett is tearing up the training track and is miles in front of the same time last year, second-year players Luke Russell, Dion Prestia and Josh Caddy have also been hugely impressive to date. Prestia came back from his off-season break in great shape and has kicked on in leaps and bounds, Caddy has been an animal on the track after an injury-plagued 2011, and Tasmanian Russell has been one of the most professional at the club in every aspect of his training.

Discussion:  http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,44490.0.html

Not a lot to say on Caddy and the question was how will he go in 2012? easy answer is great.

Mid Priced Player Rating: 8.5/10 (MID) - tough one to rate, not a rook not a premium low in price but a rook high in price, but a rook that happens to be a gun. Extra points for being a very cheap mid pricer, Huge pre-season including arizona, great fitness and injury free. I reckon at his price he will be a 150K profit and a last mid upgrade/almost a keeper, should average 80-90 and i'm tipping closer to 90. Ablett will be better and so will all teh 2nd year players, the team may not win a lot more games this season but they will be a lot more competitive and i feel improve greatly in DT scoring accross the board. With Caddy he is a VERY SAFE PICK, the only IF is the IF you can afford him in your mids.

Colliwobblers

On Bell - the Blues have space on their primary list for two rookies (from memory) and he's been carving up pre-season to date  (reckon the other spot will be for Curnow again).

Tom Bell  (CAR) [ROOKIE] (MID) $95,800
#0   Carlton Blues
Height: 187cm     Weight: 95kg     Position: Midfield
Last Drafted: Round 1, Pick #14 2011 Rookie Draft

Carlton entered the rookie draft specifically targeting midfielders, and came away with three of them. They used their first two picks on mature-age players - Tom Bell from Queensland club Morningside and former Saint Nick Heyne. Both are physically developed enough to step straight into AFL football if called upon. The third of the trio, Frazer Dale, is more of a long-term prospect, as is NSW scholarship holder Matthew Lodge. The Blues were happy with their haul.

What the recruiter said
"We were quite specific in the type that we wanted, and obviously we were going to pick a couple of guys who were a little bit older than normal." - Carlton recruiting manager Wayne Hughes

NAB AFL ROOKIE DRAFT

Pick 14: Tom Bell, Morningside Football Club
DOB: 13/6/1991
Height: 187cm
Weight: 95kg
Hughes says: "He had a really good year. He plays on a wing. Aerobically he's very good - a fifteen-and-a-half beep tester - and he's best described as a very tough footballer. At 95kg and 187cm, he's built like a brick outhouse."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9BzuezvTpk

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/tabid/4311/default.aspx?newsid=127139

http://www.velocitysports.com.au/default.asp?PageID=1898

Rookie Player Ranking (DEF) 6/10 - low score due to being on the rookie list, he needs to be promotes, but I could not agree with you more, he looks likely to be promoted pretty much straight away, afl ready and capable on potentional skills i would not predict him turning into an out and out gun but certainly see him developing into a staunch midfielder, has pace and strength not a huge kick but they can work on that and he is an accurate kick and a good user of the ball by the looks of him. Potettntially a good pick, all it needs is his being promoted and he could find a regulare gig for mine on the wing to start. Reckon he would play well straight away as an outside mid or winger taking the ball from the likes of murph and judd and running away with it (he is powerful and quick) and disposing of it efficiently into the fwd line. Well spotted one to watch for sure.

Mr Adams

Working beautifully son.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Matty Warnock. Super cheap ATM and surely he's likely to be a starter in the GCS back line (especially with Bock rubbed out for the first couple). I suppose my biggest doubts are around his scoring potential, and hence, how much he is likely to increase in price.

Cheers.

Colliwobblers

North also have (at least) one vacancy on the primary list and Gibson seems to have the pedigree to be a great foil to the Roos quality midfielders. Plus, as a mature age selection, he shouldn't get treated as shabbily as other first year players (Atley etc).

Sam Gibson (NM) MID $85,800    
#43   North Melbourne Kangaroos
Height: 184cm     Weight: 81kg     Position: Midfield
Last Drafted: Round 4, Pick #63 2011 Rookie Draft
Last Drafted By: North Melbourne Kangaroos

Experienced midfielder who captained Box Hill and won the best and fairest award this year. He has terrific endurance and ball-winning ability.

North Melbourne rookie Sam Gibson has had a perfect start to the New Year, taking out the club's first two-kilometre time-trial of 2012.

Box Hill Hawks Captain Sam Gibson, who had previously been a rookie at Hawthorn but didn’t play a senior game, has been drafted by North Melbourne with Pick 63 in the Rookie Draft. Gibson had a career best season in 2011 where he won the Col Austen Trophy as Box Hill Hawks Best and Fairest winner as well as being selected in the VFL Team of the Season. Gibson finished 2011 by playing his 100th game for Box Hill Hawks, only the second player behind Matthew Ball to do so since the alignment with Hawthorn. At the November Board Meeting Gibson was honoured with Life Membership of Box Hill Hawks. It is likely Gibson will play against Box Hill Hawks in 2012 with either of North Melbourne’s VFL affiliates Werribee or North Ballarat. This is the third consecutive season that Box Hill Hawks’ Best and Fairest winner has been drafted following Ed Curnow being select by Carlton in 2010 and Sam Iles selected by Gold Coast in 2009.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sam-gibsons-second-chance-as-north-melbourne-rookie/story-fn53khop-1226226482477

http://www.aflclubs.com.au/threads/4249-Sam-Gibson-highlights

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rookie-engineers-a-second-chance-20111219-1p2di.html

Rookie Player Rating - (MID) 6.5/10 - maybe a little generous compared to other rooks ok the rookie list also, loses points for the rookie listing and needing promotion, but he is a maturea age recruit, he is not there to get older, I expect him to be promoted and play early, but this needs to happen before i will jump on, as for his ability, i say tons of it, great outside mid, good avg poessesions last season, best and fairest and captain, this man knows the game, is ready for the game and isn't at the roos to "make up the numbers". My biggest issue is the way north used thier new players last season it was sporadit, made little sense and did every DT'ers head in, A lot of those second year players should see solid TOG this season leaving the 1st year recruits even once promoted struggling to find a spot regularly enough to justify a spot in DT, BUT there is the mature age element. Tough call whatever happens this bloke is a good looking player.