Why is it so hard to choose Rucks?

Started by Miss Pies, January 04, 2012, 07:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Pies

Ok lets first start by asking ourselves about the popular ruck combo's in the midst. It takes time for any ruckman to develop his skill once turned senior.

Tried and true
Dean Cox - took 5 years to go from 40 to 95 and has been a steady almost 100+ each year there on in
Sandi - 7 years to even hit 95 and has not once had a DT average of 100+

Can almost feel it
McEvoy  - 4 years to get to 90 BUT, 2009-2010 was poor effort roughly 50
Jacobs - 3 years to get from 45-92 which is somewhat more progressed than others.

Breakouts for 2012
Goldy - 4 years to get from 36 to 99. If following tradition will make 100+ this year
Leuenberger - took 5 years to jump from 38 to 90's  breakout this year my opinion
Mummy - 24 to 90 in four years! I can see him breaking out this year for sure.

Food for thought.

Edit: Break out meaning hit the Gun 100+ thanks for pointing that out Zipz :))

Colliwobblers

Nice post, and given the many many picks of looeyburger for first ruck and now your sensible post, your making me want to trade sandi for looeyburger, then its a question of mummy or mcevoy for #2 ruck spot...... It is hard to choose rucks this year because although your post makes a lot sense how much really can you seperate the top ten ruckmen by in predicted averages for the year?? 7 really and throw in a few smokies to make it top 10  ;)

I could make another post, sandi & mcevoy or looeyburger & mummy....... but i wont.

Ziplock

Quote from: Miss Pies on January 04, 2012, 07:15:32 PM
Ok lets first start by asking ourselves about the popular ruck combo's in the midst. It takes time for any ruckman to develop his skill once turned senior.

Tried and true
Dean Cox - took 5 years to go from 40 to 95 and has been a steady almost 100+ each year there on in
Sandi - 7 years to even hit 95 and has not once had a DT average of 100+

Can almost feel it
McEvoy  - 4 years to get to 90 BUT, 2009-2010 was poor effort roughly 50
Jacobs - 3 years to get from 45-92 which is somewhat more progressed than others.

Breakouts for 2012
Goldy - 4 years to get from 36 to 99 breakout this year my opinion
Leuenberger - took 5 years to jump from 38 to 100+ If following tradition will make 110+ this year
Mummy - 24 to 90 in four years! I can see him breaking out this year for sure.

Food for thought.

none of these are really break out options- they've already had their break out years...

out of them I can see mcevoy and jacobs improving the most this year, Mumford is up there as well. Goldy will be sharing the ruck more with Hmac, with petrie pinch hitting, while Leuen's scores, whilst they MIGHTEN'T decrease, I certainly can't see increasing substantially with the addition of Hudson to the team.

But all those players listed (with the possible exception of Jacobs) can be classed as premiums already.

Your midpricers are those like Kreuz, Nic Nat, Z. Clarke, Ryder with maybe smith, west, roughead (wbd) and renouf thrown in as smokies.

Miss Pies

Sorry Zipz I should have been clearer in my post. I meant breakout for the 100+

Ziplock

other than cox, have any other rucks even averaged 100+ in recent years?

Miss Pies

Quote from: Ziplock on January 04, 2012, 08:09:12 PM
other than cox, have any other rucks even averaged 100+ in recent years?
Only one to date is Leuy

Ziplock

? Leuen only averaged 92 this year....

Goldy was the closest with a 99.38 average.

SC wise Leuen broke the 100 average, is that what you were thinking of?

Miss Pies

Yeah SC Zipz. I don't look at stats I just go by memory.

Edit: no wait I meant Goldy hahah now your just confusing my blonde brain rofl.

Kuruki

While Ruck might be giving us the most headaches this year in terms of who to pick,  if your one of those going set and forget,  i really dont think there is going to be any major standout combination this year.
Chances are most of these premiums are going to be in the 90's again. You can throw a blanket over Sandi Burger McEvoy Goldy Mummy Jacobs. It really is not going to matter that much who you choose. The only question you really need to ask is, will Cox come back to the pack or will he dominate again?.
The combinations are somewhat limited tho with the bye's this year.
That's where i think allot of people have found a bit of attraction to the Premo - Mid - Rookie Rookie strat this year. it offers more selection options and a bit more scope for improvement. Your not going to get a big increase in anything from a premium ruck this year. You could well be onto an increase in points or cash if you select the right Mid pricer though.  Kruz H Mac Smith. This is where the attraction is for me. And it makes it allot more comfortable having Giles and Stephensen who should get plenty of game time.

Miss Pies

Quote from: Kuruki on January 04, 2012, 08:48:40 PM
While Ruck might be giving us the most headaches this year in terms of who to pick,  if your one of those going set and forget,  i really dont think there is going to be any major standout combination this year.
Chances are most of these premiums are going to be in the 90's again. You can throw a blanket over Sandi Burger McEvoy Goldy Mummy Jacobs. It really is not going to matter that much who you choose. The only question you really need to ask is, will Cox come back to the pack or will he dominate again?.
The combinations are somewhat limited tho with the bye's this year.
That's where i think allot of people have found a bit of attraction to the Premo - Mid - Rookie Rookie strat this year. it offers more selection options and a bit more scope for improvement. Your not going to get a big increase in anything from a premium ruck this year. You could well be onto an increase in points or cash if you select the right Mid pricer though.  Kruz H Mac Smith. This is where the attraction is for me. And it makes it allot more comfortable having Giles and Stephensen who should get plenty of game time.

If that's were you wanna roll you will. Keep going :)

CuStArDaRm

Good problem to have me thinks!

Cox Im locking have sandi at the minute but that could easily change.

Torress

i like mummy and leuy, but i don't want these two if cox is killing it. but cox is too expensive to start (SC - i know its DT board but i wanna comment but i don't play DT).

if i were to go with cox at the start i'd probably have to have a Hmac, west or smith or even maybe kreuz with him and upgrade to a top3 ruck later on.

i like leuy i don't think hudson will affect his scores, i actually think he'll help him boost his scores!! with clark at the dees the lions will need big leuy to rest forward whilst hudson takes the ruck. leuy could be in for a 110+ SC average imo this season. hopefully mummy doesn't sling tackle too much - but i think for all who start with mummy, the VC loop hole is very appealing round 1 with swannies taking on GWS and he should dominate there.

crumpetjack

I've been liking Leuenberger and Mumford for potential improved scores.

But lately I've been convincing myself Cox is a must start. Sure expensive, but I can't see how any other ruckmen will approach his average yet. I still think he'll be 8-10 average better than next best ruckman. No other position offers this kind of difference. Goddard potentially. Stevie J did do it last year but doubt will happen again this year.

Right now I'm starting Cox, and then rookies. As I can't pick 2nd best ruckman, I might wait and see which ruckman does indeed improved to 100+ and then just upgrade later on. I just feel Coxy is such a safe bet.

Matt_352

Sandi, Cox, Goldy too expensive to start with. Im on the big MUMMY as my starting 1st ruckman, nearly impossible to avoid Hmac at his price as second ruck, in form he is up there with the best of them and 3rd and 4th rucks are easy to pick as shooting fish in a barrell Giles and Big O FTW

Andrew

Cox is worth every dollar in what is a tough position to pick a consistent scorer. Goldstein had a good year but isn't anywhere near as accomplished as Cox. I'm going with the old firm Cox & Sandilands, unless a cheap ruckman shows some form in the NAB Cup and/or injuries open the door for a 2nd tier ruckman.