Danger or one of the Roos?

Started by CrowsFan, December 30, 2011, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which player should I get?

Patrick Dangerfield
Jack Ziebell
Ryan Bastinac

CrowsFan

Ok so been trying to decide on which mid pricer I want in my midfield, if I do indeed end up picking one and managed to narrow it down to three players, but can't decide who to pick from the three...

The three players are Dangerfield, Ziebell or Bastinac, and here is my reasoning for each player.

Patrick Dangerfield
2011 Games: 22
2011 Average: 80.32
Price: $435,400

Everyone knows Danger has the talent to be a superstar of the game, it's just a question of when he begin to produce it consistently. Was played a lot in the forward line under Craig, but with a new coach who coached Ablett at Geelong he could be due to spend a lot of time in the midfield just like Ablett began to do after a few seasons in the system. Could be his year, although could also be biased being a Crows supporter ;)

Jack Ziebell
2011 Games: 21
2011 Average: 79.05
Price: $428,500

Ziebell really began to impress in the second half of 2011. Only averaged 62.22 through his first 9 games this season, but in his last 12 he averaged a very impressive 91.67 including a score of 4 when he got injured in the first quarter of the match against Freo, exclude that score and he averaged 99.6! The question is whether he can continue that impressive form in to next season after another pre season under his belt.

Ryan Bastinac
2011 Games: 12
2011 Average: 69.58
Price: $377,200

Bit more of a risk than the other 2, but could be worth that risk. Had an injury affected 2011 after injuring his knee in pre season and missing the first 10 rounds. He came back and only averaged 69, but showed what he is capable of with 130 against Brisbane. Has been training very well so far this pre season from reports, including spending an extra week at the high altitude training camp in America. With an full pre season behind him he could really turn it on in 2012.

So who would everyone recommend?

kilbluff1985

CrowsFan

Not going near Lenny Hayes. Wrong side of 30 and coming off a knee reco is a big no for me ;)

elephants

Thinking along the same lines as you CF. I'd rather have Mick Barlow though.

Roy.G.Biv

Keep in mind that Ziebell is suspended for the first 2 rounds. ;)

CrowsFan

Yeah I realised that after I posted. Still reckon he would be a good pick up though, just have the rookies fill in for those rounds ;)

Shame that this thread has been read 54 times and only 1 person has voted :(

Roy.G.Biv

I didn't vote- I'm actually considering Cunnington/Atley from the Roos and Mathew Wright from the Crows.
Need to take a risk here and there, and the Roos and Crows have soft draws early.

I guess with the partial lockout, we could use the emergency loophole on say Mitchell/Sheil type, and if they score ok, then I'd definately consider Ziebell.

Jugganauts

No love for Liam Anthony? i think he may just be a bit more expensive then Bastanic.

Holz

JZ all they way, don't think basti is there yet and Anthony will stugle to get games. You should be able to cover his first 2 games easy as all your rookies should be playing.

Noz

Jack Steven showed alot of promise last season but out of the list you got there i would go with Ziebell

m-ry

hope its is dangers year, like abblett he's at 6 years in and needs to start and finish in the mids every game to become a star.
altho i was thinking about a month ago JZ and still have him in my team but I'm sure he's not going to finish in the top 15 mids where as Dangers could. like you mention JZ last 12 games where impressive

ronl

WHAT IF...Ziebell shows up in round 3, cops a 2-3 week injury (say a hammy) early in the game.  Unless you've got a rookie to cover who is really firing you've wasted a trade.  I would never be able to forgive myself.  Too big a chance to take.

Ringo

Would go Dangerfield.Think with new coach as you say he may play more in the mids.  May be his break out year if so.

The Bloods

Hey CF at that price range your best bet is Kieren Jack. Year befor last avg 100 and had a few niggles this year. Word from the swans camp is most of the swans players are injury free so could be another 100 plus year for Jack and at least you know he can avg 100 the other players around that price have not proven them self yet.  8)

jasonweare

Quote from: Ringo on December 30, 2011, 09:26:23 AM
Would go Dangerfield.Think with new coach as you say he may play more in the mids.  May be his break out year if so.

I guess we wait on Pre season form, and see how the new coach uses him. Hopefully in the midfield.