FG's MATURE PROFILES: Jon Giles

Started by Fyfe_gun, December 29, 2011, 05:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fyfe_gun

Height :199cm
Weight : 94kg
Recruited from : Sturt
Club: GWS

After the success of Zac Smith last year Jon Giles is a lock for at least a bench, if not onfield at a rookie price. 2012 will see the year of the bargain ruck with Giles and Stephenson from the cats starting at rookie prices. If you are thinking you have heard of him before you are correct, as he was a Port Adelaide listed player. He was delisted from Port beause with Lade and Brogan in the team along with Lobbe, a young Giles was never going to get a game. He came to the club very skinny and instead of weighing close to 100kg was closer to 50kg. When he was delisted he bulked up and now sits at a modest 94kg but he is still fairly light for a ruckman. His DT potential is extremely high and we all saw that Zac Smith, a 19 year old that took up AFL after dominating at soccer as a kid average in the 70s. Giles is 5 years older along with a lot more AFL experience so I would expect an average closer to 80 if not higher. GWS have snared a quality ruck to lead their young group and a quailty DT player

FG's Rating : 10/10 (a lock)

elephants

nostradamus

Quote from: elephants on December 29, 2011, 06:02:30 PM
L.O.C.K.
Nuff Said.

yep l think picking him is the biggest no-brainer in a long time, will probably be the most selected player this season

kilbluff1985

The biggest dilemma is if we could get away with having 3 rookie ruckman if we had say Mumford, Giles, Stephenson, well maybe it's to hard to pick a 3rd rookie ruckman rofl

Presto

I, like most others have selected Giles as a cash cow, but lately I have started questioning my choice.
Here is my thinking: Giles was at Port for many years, but over that time he could not get a single game, always overlooked behind Brogan, Lobbe and Trengove.
True he was best in DT terms for GWS last year, but his opposition in the NEAFL cannot be compared with what he will face in the 1st nine games. (Mumford, Goldstein, Cox, Jacobs, Kruezer, Leuenberger, Ryder). I expect he will grow in value, but not at the pace I was hoping for.
I believe going with 2 premium and 2 rookies in the ruck and probably I will keep him on the bench, but only because I cannot see any real alternative. Cox, Leuenberger and Stephenson are my other ruckmen.

Windigo

2 premium rucks & 2 rookies is the most solid option. He'll get games that's the main thing.

But people having him play as their 2nd ruck is just a little silly seeing as their are so many great ruck options this year.

stew42

As a third ruck, I want Giles to play during the byes, and earn me a bit of money, I don't really mind what scores, as long as its over 55, I'll be happy  :)

BGK

He wasnt just behind Brogan and co while he was there. There was another guy named Lade too. A bit hard to get games behind two premiership ruckman.

Swallow12

So nobody believes he will be a Zac Smith type? I'd be happy to play him if I was certain hed average 75ish

The F.A.R.K.

At port he was a rookie and was so skinny he never had any chance of playing. He then got delisted, played a few years of sanfl, bulked up and absolutely killed. Best ruck in comp by far. He always had it just never had the body, then he bulked up people realised how good he was and gws swooped. he is well worth it

itchytradefinger

It's a big stretch to expect him to perform the same way Z Smith did last year. Pick him as a cow. It's no risk, he'll be in 50% of all teams and 90% of serious ones. He'll get games and earn you some coin. 

Football Factory

Zac Smith was good last year for GCFC

Extraordinarily, 2010 was only Smith’s fourth season of AFL football. Previously he’d focused his prodigious talents towards â€" of all things - indoor soccer.

Giles has been in the game longer and is 2 years older

Jonathan Giles is a big ruckman who is known for taking strong marks. Jonathan spent four years on Port Adelaide’s senior list from 2006 until 2009 but missed selection in all four years.

In 2010, Jonathan’s switch from Central District to Sturt Football Club payed off with the big man being named in the ruck in the Adelaide Advertiser’s SANFL Team of the Year for 2010.

In 2011 he played 16 NEAFL games and was GWS no1 ruckman averaging 16 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 25 hitouts, 4 clearances and recording a hitout-to-advantage rate of 29% - 4% above the average for an AFL ruckman. He was also able to push forward and boot 14 goals, booting multiples on four occasions.

I think he can average what Smith did and i dont think he will tire like Smith did near the end of the season. An average of 70-75 is definitely possible i think.

After all that im not talking him up because he is my 2nd ruck, i dont have the balls. But i think he will be a ripper of a cash cow,emergency ruck.

AndrewY

Not having him just to be different. Going the big o as r3 and looking at the dpp's for r4

Holz

Quote from: AndrewY on January 28, 2012, 08:50:10 PM
Not having him just to be different. Going the big o as r3 and looking at the dpp's for r4

i think not picking him to be different is a very poor reason, unless you feel your too good and want to handicap yourself.

Colliwobblers

True Holz especially after that lovely post by FF, ive been talked out of the VERY tempting 3 rookie ruck set up but only an injury will keep both giles and spephensen off my starting side, with Rowe being the obvious "to be different" option so far if fit for round 1.

The are soreme other good l fact big o and giles are basically guaranteed games is just priceless.