A transistional year?

Started by Joshy11, December 29, 2011, 01:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshy11

With the exeption of the midfielders i am finding it increasingly difficult to pick my 'premiums' and have full faith in them to get consistantly big scores for the price im paying for them this year for a number of reasons :/

Defenders:

*Scotland- 32yrs, most expensive and overpriced to be #1 premium after 1 realllly strong year
*Carrazzo- Overpriced for a 'tagger'
*Enright- Consistent as hell but is 30+ and can get shut out of games easily
*Shaw/Fisher- can get massively tagged out of games
*Suckling/Birchall- Only 1 and 2 decent years respectively

Rucks:

*Cox- Superstar for years but is again over 30, has had a few serious injuries and will get even less ruck time again due to naitanui
*Sandilands- Develpoed turf toe and can be put in cotton woll during stages of the year
*Goldy/Luen/Mcevoy/Mumford- All had decent years for the first time in their careers but can they back it up?

Forwards:

*Stevie J- has a MASSIVE price tag
*Chappy- injury issues (still dominates of course), showed signs of slowing down last year and his scoring capacity fell away a touch
*Goodes/Pav- Superstars but are getting on and both lacked consistency last year, especially the ever reliable pav
*Beams- Massive price tag!!
*Martin/Zaha/Robinson/Fyfe- Had very good years last year for the first time in there careers and carry large price tags this year as a result

Not for 1 minute am i writing off the old timers or saying the youngsters wont back it up but my point is that this year it is difficult to have full faith in throwing out the cash required to obtain this years "premiums" and get consistent big scores that you would want from their price tags. The oldies are another year older and the up and comers have put in one solid year so is this year a trasnitional period for dreateam? A chance for the youngsters to stamp thier mark on the comp and become locks at the start of 2013? Should be a very interesting and question answering year :)

kilbluff1985

Had Jack Riewoldt all the way through last season scores were not great but ok and he was playing with injuries most of the season for the price he is at i have all but locked him in for next season the guy has so much passion and determination to play he is a must for me. BTW i don't go for Richmond

John Butcher another forward that should be considered showed a lot of promise late in the season especially in contested marks should get games this season

Rucks i'm going with are Mumford and Nic Nat

For the backs i really like the look of Heppell and Suckling for a bit younger choice

Joshy11

I dont like either forward for dreamteam purely because they are KPP. Riewoldt just sits in the goal square and needs 6 goals to score decently and butcher is still very raw to be picked up this year. Nic Nat isnt really a fantasy player becasue he doesnt get enough of the footy, maybe look at mcintosh. Suckling and heppel have great scoring potential but like i said they have a heavy price tag and may be risky considering both have had only 1 decent year so far

ronl

Yes, I think you could do worse than Jack Riewoldt.

CuStArDaRm

yeh Jack Riewoldt is a trap.
Someone stated they had him all season?!? Really you dont go for the Tigers?!?
Dont mean to be harsh but thats a big stuff up on your part if you didnt trade him.

Only pick big forwards who are capable of being at the top of the premium tree such as J,Brown, N.Roo, Buddy. i wouldn't even put Cloke in that category let alone J.Roo
Those 1st 3 have much more strings to their bow than the likes of J.Roo, that dont have to kick heaps of goals to get good Fantasy scores.

As someone said KPP's are generally a no no but there is always exceptions to rules.

theflyinghawk

While all this is true about Jroo I think we will find Jack's role changing in 2012. With Vickery emerging he no longer is the only target up forward which gives richmond the option of pushing reiwoldt up to CHF which i think they will do, he is a lovely kick inside 50 and i think his output will increase for sure.

That being said hes not in my team at the moment, id like him to show a bit in nab

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Joshy11 on December 29, 2011, 01:25:31 AM
With the exeption of the midfielders i am finding it increasingly difficult to pick my 'premiums' and have full faith in them to get consistantly big scores for the price im paying for them this year for a number of reasons :/

Defenders:

*Scotland- 32yrs, most expensive and overpriced to be #1 premium after 1 realllly strong year

Rucks:

*Cox- Superstar for years but is again over 30, has had a few serious injuries and will get even less ruck time again due to naitanui
*Sandilands- Develpoed turf toe and can be put in cotton woll during stages of the year
*Goldy/Luen/Mcevoy/Mumford- All had decent years for the first time in their careers but can they back it up?

Forwards:

*Chappy- injury issues (still dominates of course), showed signs of slowing down last year and his scoring capacity fell away a touch
*Goodes/Pav- Superstars but are getting on and both lacked consistency last year, especially the ever reliable pav
*Martin/Zaha/Robinson/Fyfe- Had very good years last year for the first time in there careers and carry large price tags this year as a result

Not for 1 minute am i writing off the old timers or saying the youngsters wont back it up but my point is that this year it is difficult to have full faith in throwing out the cash required to obtain this years "premiums" and get consistent big scores that you would want from their price tags. The oldies are another year older and the up and comers have put in one solid year so is this year a trasnitional period for dreateam? A chance for the youngsters to stamp thier mark on the comp and become locks at the start of 2013? Should be a very interesting and question answering year :)

You pretty much said everything I've been thinking. I'm finding myself picking backs and forwards based on hope rather than confidence.

Joshy11

Exactly the point of this thread. Next year shapes as the year where we can have the confidence in locking in players such as martin and beams etc etc, but based on 1 break out year makes picking them this time round a bit of a lottery. And also i am losing confidence in the premiums of the last 4-5 years :/

owenbond007

Think there is enough premos in backs and forwards to have faith in. You only need to have 4 premos in each position to start the season with and get the right rookies and the odd mid price.  The prices may seem a bit expensive this year, but last year all players were discounted 10% to help with having 3 extra players. This year that discount doesnt exist.

chatters24

Quote from: Joshy11 on December 29, 2011, 01:25:31 AM

Defenders:

Rucks:

Forwards:

You have it bang on!! There isn't the "obvious picks" this year like there has been in the past. I mean even someone such as Goddard is in my opinion not as much as a sure thing like he has been before last year. It really is the changing of the gaurd this year in many respects. Be wary of the "Hargrave Effect"!!!

Kuruki

Suddenly the guy who posted his team with 6 premium mids may not look so ridiculous. At least the money he is spending is going to be translated into points. With backs and forwards being so inconsistent maybe having them weakened at the start is not going to be such a bad thing. At least that way you can get on the one's who step up.

elephants

I am struggling with Backs. Mids, Rucks and Fwds seem straight forward enough for me.
I am not to keen on any back mid pricers atm. I have Lids, Shaw and Goddard locked but outside of that nothing else is certain by any stretch. I miss Gibbs.