Have a Question on rookies? Ask away

Started by MTTY, December 23, 2011, 07:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meow meow

Quote from: stew42 on January 29, 2012, 05:36:39 PM
And coniglio is a weak option, so many others who will average the same or more and at 70k less

Who?

stew42

Shiel and Miles from GWS look very promising, Koby Stevens is established at WCE and looks impressive on the track, Tom Mitchell is a F/S pick for the Swans who would've gone into the top 10 draft, I would expect these guys to average 70+, and Coniglio to average 75+. Five extra points is not worth 70k! There are soooooo many options, and taking Coniglio is taking the easy way out... unless you think he will average 90+, which I doubt

theta

Quote from: stew42 on January 29, 2012, 11:10:57 PM
Shiel and Miles from GWS look very promising, Koby Stevens is established at WCE and looks impressive on the track, Tom Mitchell is a F/S pick for the Swans who would've gone into the top 10 draft, I would expect these guys to average 70+, and Coniglio to average 75+. Five extra points is not worth 70k! There are soooooo many options, and taking Coniglio is taking the easy way out... unless you think he will average 90+, which I doubt

My thoughts too.

Anyone know much about Anthony Miles?

stew42

Miles was the highest DT average in the NEAFL for GWS (over 100). Hovever for SC, go Shiel

cortez

what are your thoughts on akex sexton? will he get many games?
thanks.

stew42

Yeah, I'm looking t this guy too, apparently he is a GUN! If he is elevated, then lock. Keep an eye on him

AndrewY

meow meow

Quote from: stew42 on January 30, 2012, 03:18:53 PM
Yeah, I'm looking t this guy too, apparently he is a GUN! If he is elevated, then lock. Keep an eye on him

He's not on the rookie list. He's too skinny for AFL at this stage, but he definitely has talent.

AndrewY

Wolf67

Great thread MTTY.  You certainly know your rookies.

I agree with some of the thoughts that $191k for coniglio is a lot to pay.  He would want to average up near 100 to justify the extra cash.  There are not many top 10 draft picks that are must haves due to their hefty price.

In 2011, Swallow and heppel were good, but Libba and darling provided good numbers and plenty of games with a lower price.  (then there were the mature age rookies)

In 2010 martin was good at pick 3, but again a high price, with fyfe and bastinac performing just as well at lower prices, not to mention barlow and co..

In 2009, rich was the best of the top 10, but at pick 7 he wasn't as expensive as picks 1 and 2.  broughton and anthony were good older guys for base price.

Could there be a better value 18yo first year player than Joel Selwood at pick 7.  A once in a lifetime rookie and avoiding the premium rookie price of bryce gibbs, or the ones that followed.  gumby, hansen, berger, boak and thorpe.  enough said.

Unless theres another joel selwood in the top 10, I'm sticking to the cheaper ones and in particular, the mature age rookies, but keep up the good work MTTY.  Great work.

Bruizer81

Thoughts on Josh Caddy???

I know he is $200K+but will he be a solid option as Stanley was in the back line last year?

Number 7 draft pick and Bombers chased him hard.  Surely in best 22 and will start on the ground

cortez

which gws defender - mohr, golds or darley? only question on mohr is cause he is a kpp that he wont score much. how have the other two looked last year and should they get regular games?

stew42

Quote from: cortez on January 30, 2012, 11:11:51 PM
which gws defender - mohr, golds or darley? only question on mohr is cause he is a kpp that he wont score much. how have the other two looked last year and should they get regular games?
Mohr will definitely play, so that's good enough for me. Golds I haven't really heard of. Same with Darley BUT he has been highly touted in other fantasy footy forums, and is very finely pencilled in my bench. I'm looking around for some info at the moment...

And here's some from the GWS website:

Originally an outside player, Sam Darley has progressed into an impressive tough midfielder who won Tasmania's most valuable player award at the 2009 NAB AFL Under‐16 Championships, averaging 28 disposals, 10 handball receives, six marks and 17 uncontested possessions per match ‐ all ranked number one at the carnival.

In 2010 he played 11 matches at League level for North Hobart and was named in the best players six times.

At the 2010 NAB AFL Under‐18 Championships he played all five matches with his performances all elite. He averaged 25 disposals, 12 handball‐receives, 18 uncontested possessions, four rebound and four inside 50s per match. He was subsequently awarded the Hunter Harrison Medal for the best player in division two and was also named in the 2010 NAB AFL U18 All Australian team.

So there are a lot of impressive figures in there... he's on my bench!

cortez

the way i see it is mohr will play more but wont score as high as darley so which is the better way to go, someone who scores less but plays more or the player that may miss a couple of games? i think the player who scores higher since in the end his price will be higher. thoughts?

stew42

it is a tricky one. Ideally they would both play the first 10 rounds and then we would upgrade them both, but Sheeds doesn't read this (as far as I know), so slight chance of that happening! From what I read, I would stick with Darley. There is less risk with Mohr, but if Darley plays according to his previous awards and pre-AFL stats, then he should maintain a spot in the side...

But is you want less risk, go Mohr, and good luck to you! But I'm going Darley... I think  :-\

Some thoughts rambling through my head:
If Darley is on and off the field between rounds 1-10 (Rnd 11 is his bye) then he won't be as good a cash cow as a Mohr who plays all of Rnds 1-10. This is unless his average magically improves between say, Rnd 7-end of season...