Main Menu

Byes Strategy

Started by Ringo, December 23, 2011, 09:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

After quite some deliberation over the rules and byes and with playing league matches rounds 11-13 I have decided on this startegy. It has been doing my head in since revised rules announced.

Will set my Team up as 8/11/11. ie players from the teams that have the byes in each round. Watch byes for each line as well Ideally should be no more than 2 with 3 on one line. Set your rucks up to ensure you have bye coverage so you can set and forget. At the moment mine look like being being Berger, McEvoy, Giles and Stephenson so have good ruck cover over the three weeks. Ensure that all rookies I have listed are playing and this will be important to the number of trades.
No trades week 11
Week 12 Trade in 3 players to Team 11 from players listed in week 12 bye teams. Structure will then be 11/8/11
Week 13 Trade in 3 Players from week 13 byes players to week 12 Structure then 11/11/8

have used only 6 trades of the 24 allowed for season. And if trading diligently you can then maximise your team over the next couple of weeks.

This is the best i can come up with as bye strategy.
Injuries will obviusly result in a donut if ocurring in Rounds 12 and 13

tferrier18

So you're gonna wait until round 12 to start upgrading your team? You're gonna fall well behind the pack if you do..last year teams were finished by round 12/13/14.

Ringo

This is where it is hard to strategise.  Do we set up teams for the byes from Round 1 fall behind slightly and then catch up beacuse of bye strategy that has been implemented.  My first strategy was to ignore byes but then with the first team I set up I was going to end with 5/6 donuts during rounds 11 - 13 and seeing these are also now League matches had to review my plan. Think my strategy will still be to upgarde team based on my bye structures for first 11 weeks,

BGK

You can still upgrade before those rounds. You just have to be more selective. If your downgrading a round 11 rookie and upgrading a round 12 rookie just try to stick to the same rounds. It may take2 or 3 rounds to equal back out but you have to keep your bye strategy in the back of your mind.

blades

Hi guys, new to this site. Just became a member.

Ringo, on the strategy you've suggested for the byes I think you still have 2 donuts (one in round 12 and one in round 13).
While you have 22 and only 22 players available for those rounds, in each instance you have one (out of 3 available) on the bench.  ie if you have one player benched you can only have 21 playing across the board.

I've also given a bit of thought on how to minimise donuts and now that dpp's are not really an option the least number of donuts I can get to in the bye rounds is 2.  Whether that be the 8/11/11 you suggest or 7/12/11 or anything else for that matter.

2 donuts is far better than 5 or 6 though and with more than one round 11 starting option, I think to aim for 2 donuts in one of these forms certainly can't hurt.  I guess the final decision on whether to continue pursue the strategy can be made in rounds 6-8 when we start upgrading a couple of our rookies.  I still reckon it's worth a shot.

Roy.G.Biv

I'll be keeping the byes in the back of my mind, but I won't be sideways trading premiums, or trading to get the 20th best player because the top 19 are missing due to having a bye. (like rnd 13, where 20/30 top defenders are missing.)
I'd be happy to do 4 legitimate team building trades through the bye rounds and hopefully cop the 4 donuts- i dont mind copping a donut for a  missing rookie who might score 60 or less, (sub-affected for example.)

I'd much rather have trades for when the real carnage sets in when the stars get rested before finals.

CuStArDaRm

As someone who plays for overall i like the 8/11/11 strategy but i think there are too many players you need for scoring that you need doing that.

Personally Ill have my team nearly done and use those 3 trades in those 3 weeks to finish my team off.
Im picking the best team from the start, trust me never play catch up its got disaster written all over it.
Unless of course your just a league player I do see some merit in structuring a certain way but its risky.

Imo the best way is the simplest, set the best team you can from the start upgrade ya rookies and the closer I get to those bye rounds then Ill deal with.
I have byes and strategy in mind but Im not going to let it compromise my side from the get go.

Besides your hoping......HOPING! you get no other bad luck, say you spent the first 10 rounds preparing and losing points to then get injury and make up no ground in the bye rounds.

Having said all that I have my side 9/10/11 so could easily be 8/11/11 but if rookies shine that i want in my side and conflict with my prems I think I will deal with it and work towards the 8/11/11 if feasible.

Ringo

Will probably end up doing much the same as you Custard in the long run.  Done my head in for a couple of weeks trying to get a bye strategy.  At worst I think I will strive for no more than 10/10/10 as this has the potential for a maximum of 4 donuts which may be acceptable in overall. Just need to ensure all trades are for the benefit of the overall team.

Miss Pies

I don't think its a good idea to start in round 1 for the byes in 11-13, I do however think it is important to establish your Guns and Premiums with in the first 8 rounds..using the bye Strategy to choose players that will NOT have to be traded. They would be your BASE players that do not move unless LTI (same as last year). So just like in an RTS game you have buildings that never move ie: GAJ would be your command centre, Swan your Barracks and so on. 

Between rounds 8-10 would be where you are finding it sensible to reap your cows into 3 more premiums that will NOT be traded and become part of your BASE. Then in rounds 12-13 trade in those crap rookies that sit on your bench but never got off to a good start or premiums that just arent going anywhere.

Ringo

Welcome Back and please feel free to comment on current team structure as at 27th December.

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,44626.0.html

Trying to set up team early and leave 9 trades for byes if required.  Rookies will be assessed prior to Round 1. Spent a bit of the hols trying to set team up and this is latest effort.  May change a few more times though.

Miss Pies

Quote from: Ringo on December 27, 2011, 01:57:28 PM
Welcome Back and please feel free to comment on current team structure as at 27th December.

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,44626.0.html

Trying to set up team early and leave 9 trades for byes if required.  Rookies will be assessed prior to Round 1. Spent a bit of the hols trying to set team up and this is latest effort.  May change a few more times though.

Definitly don't use any trades just prior to round 11, you want your team set up going into the 11 with no donuts/trades. It is in 12 and 13 you need to concentrate on the best possible outcome using only 6 trades. Because you see for every trade you make in round 11 to a 12 or 13 you will then need to cover the coming rounds of 12 and 13.

Don't leave yourself with to much excess or it will be nigh impossible to even get it right and cause 2 or more donuts if not using the ruck strat.

Or you can have round 12 or 13 to cop a heavy hit as long as 2 of the rounds are safe.

Ringo

Thank You. You have discovered the strategy that I now look like adopting. Aim to have team set up with no trades for Round 11. (note I have used both Zorko and Docherty who have bye in Round 11 as possible DPP Coverage).  DPP Will also assist in coverage for 12 & 13 with out formal trades so am hoping to get through rounds 12 & 13 with only 6 trades, This will leave me 18 trades for season and I want to have 6 available for finals. So basically the seasons strategy with trades will be
Maximum 8 trades to Round 9/10 to set up team
6 Trades during Byes
4 Trades to Round 20
6 trades for finals.
may come apart with injuries or suspensions though.

meow meow

You're all wasting your time.

You think there will be 3 rounds in a row where you don't have injuries/suspensions that you will have to cover? Dreaming!

Miss Pies

Quote from: meow meow on December 28, 2011, 04:08:08 PM
You're all wasting your time.

You think there will be 3 rounds in a row where you don't have injuries/suspensions that you will have to cover? Dreaming!

There's been plenty of times people haven't had injuries, suspensions etc. And if a round 11 player gets either it doesn't matter cus you would bench him in round 12 anyway regardless. Same for the other rounds. And if that player happens to get LTI just makes it easier to know who to trade in.

Your not being very positive meow meow

There is a way to avoid the dreaded 0.

In rounds 12 and 13 all you have to do is utilise the new trading system for all three trades each week. It's simple once you have worked it out. Just shuffle and replace as needed.