Main Menu

DPP overated?

Started by jamster, December 22, 2011, 07:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamster

Hey chaps, everyone has been raving about how dpp will be great for managing the byes, but i dont see how it helps to avoid zeros and nor do i see why you would put a f/c in the centre, when you could put the player in the fwds as save a crucial midfield spot.

Cheers, Jamster

bowyanger

You put an el cheapo with DPP on the bench in the guts like clifton & docherty

jamster

and what does this hope to achieve?

Jukes

If you have 7 players who are playing in the middle (6 on field one on bench) (with one having DPP to the forwards) and 6 playing in the forward line (one forward DPP not playing) you can swap those so instead of having one over an done under you can have every spot on the ground filled.

rebird

I think that swapping DPP to cover donuts will be less of an issue next season, with only the three rounds of byes being of real concern.

However, the ability to do a three way trade more than makes up for this. I can't count the times I had say a Mid cash cow but was looking at say a Forward upgrade. Next season I will be able to trade the Mid cash cow, swap a DPP from the Forwards to the Mids and pickup my Forward upgrade.

Miss Pies

Quote from: jamster on December 22, 2011, 07:23:58 PM
Hey chaps, everyone has been raving about how dpp will be great for managing the byes, but i dont see how it helps to avoid zeros and nor do i see why you would put a f/c in the centre, when you could put the player in the fwds as save a crucial midfield spot.

Cheers, Jamster

The DPP will only manage byes in rucks and also limit the possibilty of a dreaded donut. With DPP you can toggle players to set up the best possible outcome on field that week even without the byes.

upthemaidens

like someone pointed out, you put a rookie dpp in mid(or 2) bench
but it is alittle over-rated especially since there arnt very many good F/B mpp this year
and for me im not considering ruck mpp
if i have to make a choice between two equal players (i.e. martin and cloke) one has mpp the other not, it will tip the balance. in my opinion anyway

elephants

I think i'll have clifton on my mid bench but i wont have a back-mid link

Barlow 21

Quote from: elephants on December 27, 2011, 03:52:53 AM
I think i'll have clifton on my mid bench but i wont have a back-mid link
Clifton is not MPP.

nas

Quote from: Miss Pies on December 26, 2011, 01:03:03 PM
Quote from: jamster on December 22, 2011, 07:23:58 PM

Cheers, Jamster

The DPP will only manage byes in rucks and also limit the possibilty of a dreaded donut. With DPP you can toggle players to set up the best possible outcome on field that week even without the byes.

Has helped out in the past with Suspension Injuries & later down the track the dreaded General Soreness.

Kuruki

It's hard to say if it is overrated or not. I guess it depends on who it is and how many points you are giving up each week because you went the dpp over a better player that was not dpp. Lets say you only use ur players dpp for one bye round and save yourself a donut which maybe say 80 points. Had you chosen the better player and made an extra say 5 points a week that's 125 points. So really you may have been better of picking the better player that was not dpp and just taken a donut. Some people sacrifice more then a 5 point average just to get a dpp player, that's when it becomes overrated.

Ziplock

A lot of DPP players aren't being picked for their DPP (F/M, D/M for the most part), but rather because of their non-mid eligibility. For example, sidebottom, beams, robinson, martin would be chosen almost as much is just named as forwards, but named as mids they would be picked far less.

Another point to look at is Gibbs and Deledio. In the first fanplanner, Gibbs remained mpp, and  deledio last his mid eligibility. Both would have been, pretty easily, in the top 5-7 most selected players. However, when the positional changes came out, Gibbs lost his dpp in the defence, and went from being probably the most picked player to a relative unique. While Deledio got back his mpp, there wasn't that big of a rise of those putting him in their teams (except for those covering gibb's hole).

Now, personally, I don't see a huge problem with playing DPP players in the mids, they can easily be moved back to the forward/back line, especially with the mpp trading changes. It's a little bit pointless though, unless you believe that you have found a far more valuable rookie in the forward/backline than in the midfield.

For instance, you might have a forward and mid line as follows

Swan, Ablett, Pendlebury, Selwood, rookie1, rookie2 (rookie3, rookie4)
Franklin, Chapman, Goodes, Fyfe, Brown, rookie5, rookie6 (rookie7, rookie8)

Just a hypothetical situation there of course. Anyway, you might be looking at your team and find a really good rookie, let's say Saad, who you believe will average 70 next year. However, you rate your rookies 5-8 all being able to average 75+, so clearly it's not worthwhile making the swap there.

But, looking at rookie 4, you think that his JS isn't too great, and his scoring potential is floating around low 60s max, so, to fit Saad in you drop rookie4, then put goodes in your mids

Swan, Ablett, Pendlebury, Selwood, Goodes, rookie1 (rookie2, rookie3)
Franklin, Chapman,  Fyfe, Brown, rookie5, rookie6, rookie7 ( rookie8, Saad)

then, come round 8, you trade out Saad, and using the changed dpp rules, swap goodes into your forward line. You then trade in a rookie on the bubble in the mids, and upgrade rookie 1 to rockliff

Swan, Ablett, Pendlebury, Selwood, Rockliff, rookie2 (rookie3, rookie9)
Franklin, Chapman, Goodes, Fyfe, Brown, rookie5, rookie6 (rookie7, rookie8)

doing that, you've gained an overall advantage of 35 points. Yay!

it's not huge, but you haven't really lost much.

however, if someone can find 5 forward rookies that can average 70+ from round 1, I'm going to be damned jealous :P

Colliwobblers

Well summed up Ziplock, so the question is I guess, do we start a DPP FWD and a DPP DEF in our Midfield?

We know we will have a TON of them in the DEF and FWD that have MID DPP,

But is it worth putting them in the MIDS.

I see two issues, messing with rooks going against best choices just to have the DPP's in the MIDS, and WORSE,

Doing something crazy like having fyfe or beamms , or scotland or godard starting in the mids instead of genuine premium midfielders.

So what is the answer peoples??

Ziplock

I don't think it's worth it, unless you happen to be in the situation I outlined above. SInce we can now swap around mpp during trading, starting them in our mids is no longer as necessary.

Kuruki

Quote from: Colliwobblers on December 27, 2011, 06:52:25 PM
Well summed up Ziplock, so the question is I guess, do we start a DPP FWD and a DPP DEF in our Midfield?

We know we will have a TON of them in the DEF and FWD that have MID DPP,

But is it worth putting them in the MIDS.

I see two issues, messing with rooks going against best choices just to have the DPP's in the MIDS, and WORSE,

Doing something crazy like having fyfe or beamms , or scotland or godard starting in the mids instead of genuine premium midfielders.

So what is the answer peoples??

Im only going to link the forwards, as there are genuine options to make that link. As for mid/back, im not going to worry about it. Too many good mid cash cows to fit that link into my midfield.