Main Menu

Rucks: 1 gun, 3 rookies?

Started by mike_3456, December 22, 2011, 05:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_3456

how do you guys feel about using a strategy of 1 gun and 3 rookies in the ruck this year?

At the moment I have:

Leuenberger, Giles (Stephenson, Longer)

Considering Stephenson and Giles should have decent JS, you can use the cap space elsewhere then trade up one of the ruck rookies to a premium when they've increased in value. I'm hoping Giles will be the Z.Smith of 2012.

PurpleArmy

you better hope Giles gets you 70+ a game then. id get rid of Longer, he's up against Berger and Hudson this year, i cant see him scoring well enough to pick. Its pretty simple with rucks, get 2 premos and sit and forget (unless injuries occur), nothing worse then using trades in the rucks unless its downgrading benchies

Jukes

I'm going Leuenberger, Giles, Stephenson, Jenkins, the best strategy for rucking

mike_3456

haven't heard much about jenkins. is he going to get a game?

Jukes

The crows ruck is weak as all they have is Jacobs, Jenkins and a couple of other rookies I've never heard of, and most people going premo/rookie/rookie/rookie has Jenkins as the last rookie.

mike_3456

yeah i think longer might be overpriced, with even less of a chance of getting a game.

valkorum

I don't like this strategy as you lose too many points and you waste a trade.  If you get a rookie ruck who scores you 70 points a game (prob closer to 50 points a game) compared to the 90 you would get from a prem, you miss out on about 400 - 800 points for the season (if you don't trade)

If you lock and load 2 premiums you don't miss out on those points and you don't have to waste a trade (excluding injury trade) to get to 2 x prem rucks which you will want by finals.

Phasir

I'm going with the Gun/Rookie (Rookie/Rookie) "strategy this year, there's the perfect opportunity to do it with two mature ruckman coming into the comp at rookie prices.
Remember Graham Angus? he was/is a 2nd rate ruckman who was just playing as a backup & managed to increase his price to 300k which was enough to let some coaches upgrade him straight to someone like Goldstien or Leuenberger.  This year we have 2 ruckmen who will probably average close to, if not higher than 70.
Giles is going to be the #1 ruck at GWS so will be getting his share of points, only need to hold onto him & Stephenson until they hit their peak & trade one or both of them for a super-premo ruck combination.
The value for money in this rookie-ruck strategy is much better than putting it into the other positions, but that's just my opinion..  8)

Kuruki

Quote from: Jukes on December 23, 2011, 01:37:51 PM
The crows ruck is weak as all they have is Jacobs, Jenkins and a couple of other rookies I've never heard of, and most people going premo/rookie/rookie/rookie has Jenkins as the last rookie.

Who will you pick to swap him with in the bye round?

Colliwobblers

I'm in the middle of bot hstrategies, hoping I can set and forget with the starting rucks yet end up with 3 upgrades instead of 2 and premium duo for finals.

SANDI - HMAC - giles - stephensen

hmac is cheap at about 270k - happy middle ground for me if it works if it doesnt i would have been better off with either 2 premo or 3 rooks, i stand to lose the most but possible gain the most also?

Andrew

What about Rowe from Carlton? I'm picking him in RUCK and then may trade in Hale mid-season to cover byes.

Cicjose

Rowe has to get past Kruezer, Warnock and Hampson

DPP is good

JS is nearly non-existent

Andrew

Lots are talking him up though... we'll see. Maybe Pattison from Hawthorn will be a better option to start with as a R/F?

Colliwobblers

rowe will get some games i feel, but he will play up forward and may ruck for the stoppage up fwd i doubt he will go into the ruck much at all more choose him based on what he can score as a fwd

Cicjose

if rowe gets games i would be inclined to drop Giles for him