how bad of an idea is it staring either giles or stephenson

really bad
1 (50%)
good
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 0

starz

my team is now something like this
DEF: H. Scotland, B. Goddard, G. Birchall, B. Deledio, S. Docherty, W. Sierakowski, S. Morris (K. Horsely, L. Spurr)
MID: D. Swan, S. Pendlebury, G. Ablett jnr, J. Selwood, S. Clifton, S. Gibson (D. Shiel, B. Lee)
RUC: M. Leuenberger, O. Stephenson(J. Giles, S. Rowe)
FWD: L. Franklin, D. Beams, N. Fyfe, M. Robinson, D. Martin, T. Dickson, A. Saad (A. Treloar, D. Zorko)
CASH LEFT: $24,000

just wondering if its a good or bad idea starting one of those ruckman as its a huge risk. or do i drop say a robinson and pick up sandi or something like that. suggestions

Ziplock

starz

so then i can leave my options open. im planning on only having this for probably 6-7 rounds or untill they peak and then trade in a sandi or cox and see who is performing. by having rowe thre i can then trade say saad to a fwd/ruck and then swap rowe. but thats not really the question its all about starting a rookie.

anyone know how orren went in the vfl

shents

You want to never have to trade in the ruck, so while starting with Stephenson could work, you'll be giving up at least 25 points to Cox/Sandilands/Mumford, who would be better options for your team. I recommend Berger + Mumford, with Giles and Stephenson on the bench.

Holz

Quote from: shents on December 20, 2011, 07:55:45 PM
You want to never have to trade in the ruck, so while starting with Stephenson could work, you'll be giving up at least 25 points to Cox/Sandilands/Mumford, who would be better options for your team. I recommend Berger + Mumford, with Giles and Stephenson on the bench.

i really disagree with this, yeah your givng up 25 points a week to cox but instead of picking up a forward rookie you can pick up martin who could average 30+ more points than the rookie.

Im seriously considering going Hmac, Giles, Stephenson, ?

As we are unsure of the rucks, i see cox getting cheaper, goldt what will hmac do?, burger what will the new rucks do?

wheras guys like martin, beams, fyfe we all know they will score well

rebird

Quote from: Ziplock on December 20, 2011, 07:39:48 PM
why do you have rowe but no dpp link?

i think dpp will be more important in three way trading, so a link is not necessary

(rowe might still be a poor choice as a cash cow)

elephants

Interesting tactic there holz but you can make a string team while not being stingy with the rucks. Who knows though. Your tactic may work well as it is a known fact that ruckmen aren't the most prolific scorers.

Holz

Quote from: elephants on December 20, 2011, 08:36:54 PM
Interesting tactic there holz but you can make a string team while not being stingy with the rucks. Who knows though. Your tactic may work well as it is a known fact that ruckmen aren't the most prolific scorers.

So many good players in the forward line

If i can do something like Franklin, Beams, Martin, Sidebottom, Zaharakis, Brown, Rookie that should make up for my weak rucks

Roy.G.Biv

If we can use the emegency loophole, then I'll make Giles emergency, and see how he goes. ;)

FisherSaints

O played we in VFL, my grandparents always go to North Ballarat games, they said he was one of those players you know are good. He is good around the ground, bellow the knees and in the ruck.

Galea89

Quote from: Holzman on December 20, 2011, 08:31:00 PM
Quote from: shents on December 20, 2011, 07:55:45 PM

i really disagree with this, yeah your givng up 25 points a week to cox but instead of picking up a forward rookie you can pick up martin who could average 30+ more points than the rookie.

Im seriously considering going Hmac, Giles, Stephenson, ?

As we are unsure of the rucks, i see cox getting cheaper, goldt what will hmac do?, burger what will the new rucks do?

wheras guys like martin, beams, fyfe we all know they will score well

I completely agree with you Holzman. The one thing going into this years fantasy season is that there are good players in every position with cheap alternatives. The midfielders, forwards and defenders all have there 3 or 4 premium players that will be in the majority of teams that we know will be in the top 7 in the respective areas. The rucks are the one group that is uncertain. Could it be that Sandi is back and injury free, if so he is a supercoach god so you can pencil him in for another big year. Cox will have to drop unless he can average 115 a game. If he has one bad game his price will plummit.

IMO I think the best strategy is to spend your cash on those 3-4 players in the MID, FWD, DEF who we know will dominate ie. DEF (Goddard, Deledio, Shaw, Fisher), MID (Pendles, Swan, Ablett, Murphy, Selwood), FWD (Franklin, Fyfe, Martin, Cloke) and go for the bargauin rucks. 90% of us will have Giles and Stephenson as their bench, but any of Sandi, Cox, Leunberger, Goldstein and Mumford could lead this years rucking department. My strategy is to go for 2 mid priced players that will rise in price so when they are at there peak we can do a straight swap or add some cash and get a premium.

The best Mid-priced cash cows IMO are H-Mac, I.Maric, B.Renouf, T.West. They are all guranteed game time this year and will play 22 games ignoring injury. But lock in Giles and Stephenson. H-Mac is a MUSTTT and if you dont like going 2 mid priced rucks, the safe pick would definately be either Mumford or Leunberger. Sandi and Cox are too pricey to pick with there injury concerns late into last year, but if fit and firing there is no one better!

Galea89

Quote from: starz on December 20, 2011, 07:26:50 PM
my team is now something like this
DEF: H. Scotland, B. Goddard, G. Birchall, B. Deledio, S. Docherty, W. Sierakowski, S. Morris (K. Horsely, L. Spurr)
MID: D. Swan, S. Pendlebury, G. Ablett jnr, J. Selwood, S. Clifton, S. Gibson (D. Shiel, B. Lee)
RUC: M. Leuenberger, O. Stephenson(J. Giles, S. Rowe)
FWD: L. Franklin, D. Beams, N. Fyfe, M. Robinson, D. Martin, T. Dickson, A. Saad (A. Treloar, D. Zorko)
CASH LEFT: $24,000

just wondering if its a good or bad idea starting one of those ruckman as its a huge risk. or do i drop say a robinson and pick up sandi or something like that. suggestions

And sorry to answer your question in regards to starting with a rookie priced ruck, it could be a strategy that could pay off. If your after doing something different from the rest of the pack, it might just work in your favour. If you were to do that, Stephenson is definately the bench player. Giles will do the core ruck work this year. He averaged 96 DT last year, the 2nd highest out of all GWS players. He will do well as his 24yrs old, and an agile ruckman like Mumford. Zac Smith ended up on everyones bench. It would have paid off starting him and then upgrading once he hit his peak. Giles + 1 premium could pay off as a alternative strategy that may set you in front of the pack. :D

Torpedo10

Forwardline is somewhat risky but if it pays off your team will look awesome.

Galea89

Quote from: Torpedo10 on December 20, 2011, 10:04:54 PM
Forwardline is somewhat risky but if it pays off your team will look awesome.

Agree, do yourself a favour and get porplyzia in your team. His rookie priced and from reports his been training the house down. Gun player, just marred by injury. He had a massive year 2 years ago. Get rid of dickson, he wont score well. If you want to save some cash, downgrade either beams or robinson to Allen Christensen. He is a machine and with Ling out, he will make his way into the midfield every week.

jamster

Hey lads, interesting strategy, it basically depends on whether you think giles or stephenson can average highly.

What are everyone's thoughts on leuenbeger with Hudson in the mix. And also what are everyone's thoughts on T West