New Rules for 2012

Started by c4v3m4n, December 16, 2011, 11:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4v3m4n

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/127309/default.aspx

Changes include:

-    Squads will revert to 30 players per team (down from 33 in 2011).
-    Head-to-head leagues will increase to 18 teams to reflect the AFL.
-    Head-to-head leagues will start from round three and run through to round 19. Each team plays every other team once before the league finals start in round 20 and conclude in round 23.
-    League games will continue through rounds 11-13, even with six teams having their mid-season bye in each of the three rounds.
-    Total trades will remain at 24. An additional trade (up to three each week) will be available in rounds 11, 12 and 13. A maximum of two per week as usual (from the total of 24) is available for every other round.
-    The new trading system will allow two trades to be completed at a time, and up to three in the bye rounds (rounds 11, 12 and 13).
-    Coaches will be allowed to move DPPs as part of a trade without having a matching DPP in the other position.
-    There will be a 'reverse' feature in place right up until each round's lockout, dubbed the "Heath Shaw" rule.

eagles929406

interesting how league games will continue through the bye rnds, makes it more challenging, think i like that, and 3 trades for those weeks is insane, can see people wasting all their trades for the season before rnd 13 this way....lol

rebird

Season should start round 1, then we would only 'play' across 1 bye round.

AFL players get a mid season break, why not DT'ers?

(Don't get me started on why we have moved from 16 to 18 teams)

Speculator

I agree, it is a major annoyance having to navigate those 3 rounds. The upside is that the hard core will gain a significant advantage over the average punter because they will plan and execute their strategies better through this period.

c4v3m4n

Quote from: rebird on December 16, 2011, 01:21:19 PM

They could have also kept it with 17 teams in the league, play each other once from Rounds 1 - 10 and from 14 - 19 and then four weeks of finals.  :-\

SydneyRox

That whole trade DPP players for normal players will require some restructuring. DPP players now have a greater value, will be interesting to see if there are anymore surprises, aka Beams

demon_spud

Quote from: c4v3m4n on December 16, 2011, 01:46:34 PM
Quote from: rebird on December 16, 2011, 01:21:19 PM

They could have also kept it with 17 teams in the league, play each other once from Rounds 1 - 10 and from 14 - 19 and then four weeks of finals.  :-\

+1
&
+1

Or just 16 and then no bye week issue.  Stupid stupid stupid

nillation

How will finals work? Will there be two pools of 9 teams that play off or will it reflect AFL with a top 8 and a bottom 10... or even a top 8, a mid 8 and a bottom 2 who miss out?

SydneyRox

nice question! In previous year is was modeled on the afl finals, so that might mean a top 8 and some contrived bottom 10 finals series.
Dont matter, winning the second division is still losing

Doyle

Managing trades will be critical for success during rounds 11,12 and 13. If one stuffs up there, their whole season will be a disappointment

CuStArDaRm

Yeh, it's pretty clear that were being made to play through those crazy byes so heraldsun/afl website keeps getting plenty of hits coz im guessing 3 weeks straight with no league matches is a hit to their numbers.
Its a bit of a fast and it seems rushed and basically amateurish.

All that said I love my fantasy and still cant wait but it is clear that not a hell of a lot of thought and in some instances too much has gone into it.

ossie85

+1 to all rules.

Been saying for years trades should reversible until lock-out :) Makes it more fun and fairer

egosbar

shocking rule , playing through multi bye weeks , 8 or 10 players missing in some of those rounds , if your talking hits on websites they will lose a lot of hits if your season is over come round 14 when half the comp is disinterested , rugby league do the same and its ridiculous , an afl team doesnt have to worry about whos playing on thier bye week they get a rest , why do we have to build a team that is inferior to one we can build just to cover multi bye rounds , they are starting to wreck dt by this crap , 3 trades on multi bye weeks , well the only thing to hope for is a great start to the  year , make two sides the same ,one league - one car , if your in the hunt on the car burn those trades on bye weeks and hope for the best in the late stages , if your in league games and your sitting ok walk away and take the losses

ossie85

I would prefer to miss the byes entirely for sure, but that's hard with 18 team leagues.

If up to me, would have had Round 11 + Round 11 bye teams in Round 12 = 1 round.

Rest of Round 12 and Round 13 bye.

egosbar

thats why they should listen to forum members that is a good idea , keeps everyone interested over the two weeks , send em a email