gambling sanction for Bock ( 2 weeks & $10,000)

Started by nostradamus, December 14, 2011, 07:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nostradamus

Have only just seen on the news that Nathan Bock got sanctioned for gambling by the AFL

It relates to bets placed on him kicking the first goal in the round 24 match last season

nostradamus

l think he was really lucky to only get 2 weeks supension and a $10,000 fine

valkorum

Quote from: nostradamus on December 14, 2011, 08:27:30 PM

REALLY LUCKY!!! 

I remember a H Shaw and N Maxwell getting bigger penalties and their relatives didnt win any money.

nostradamus

Quote from: valkorum on December 14, 2011, 10:19:55 PM
Quote from: nostradamus on December 14, 2011, 08:27:30 PM

REALLY LUCKY!!! 

I remember a H Shaw and N Maxwell getting bigger penalties and their relatives didnt win any money.

yep....one winning bet was $20,000 the other ws $40,000

l wonder what the penalty would have been if it wasn't the Suns.....and was a Melbourne based team

nillation

Lucky? I would say that he was decidedly unlucky especially since Maxwell got away with only a $10,000 fine ($5,000 of it suspended) and no match sanctions.

This article states that Bock didn't place a bet personally and only told a relative and a friend that he was going to start in attack. It also states that Bock came forward straight away and brought it to the attention of the AFL. I feel sorry for Bock because it looks like he is getting shafted. I don't think telling a friend or family member that you are starting in attack warrants such a penalty because this is essentially all he did wrong. Everything else that happened was out of his control, and he shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of others.

His situation looks very similar to Maxwell's where their only mistake was trusting that their friends and family wouldn't be idiots and the only reason I can see as to why Bock's penalty is so much more severe is that he did kick the opening goal. Which, in my opinion, shouldn't have an impact on the outcome.

Edit: This article http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=127229

fran

Also if u read the article 15 minutes after the match he went ot officials and told them of the incident. A case of trusting the wrong people with secret information

Football Factory