Taking a dip in the bargain ruck

Started by Fyfe_gun, December 08, 2011, 03:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fyfe_gun

I think you would have to be silly to not consider it next year.
If we look at zac smith yeah he did finsih bad at the end of the year but he had risen that much you could just offload him to premium.

Jonathon giles will be shouldering all of GWS ruck load with brogan saying he will only play a handful and the rest up to rookies giles looms as the no.1 ruck. GWS' decision not to pick longer in the draft and let him slip to 8 has shown they have confidence in giles so he is a lock.

Stephenson from geelong, although picked up late was picked for a reason. He is going to play and he is also probably going to shoulder most of the ruck for geelong along with Vardy and Tomahawk. 29 years of age they would only pick him to play him.

Jack Redden from Port Adelaide has to get a decent run this year. Port have picked up Renouf but he is mainly as a foward cover for Butcher. Redden is the standout in the SANFL and he will have to get games to back up Lobbe who will be tested having to really step up and play a full solid season.

These are the main three but then who would you look at next. You could look at possibly another GWS ruckman rookie, James sellar or upgrade a bit and get a mid pricer like naitanui or even Zac Smith.
Personally i am looking ath the three mentioned at the start as well as a premium who for my likings is samuel jacobs from the crows

Ur THOUGHTS

Cicjose

you should never trade ruckmen

that is why i have Kruezer Mcintosh Giles and Longer atm

(Stephenson is in my calculations and will take Longer's spot if he proves himself)

scotty_222

i dont reckon longer is going to get as much game time as ppl think.

leuenberger and hudson should be the main 2 while longer will play here and there

AndyJ

Quote from: Fyfe_gun on December 08, 2011, 03:58:36 PM
Stephenson from geelong, although picked up late was picked for a reason. He is going to play and he is also probably going to shoulder most of the ruck for geelong along with Vardy and Tomahawk. 29 years of age they would only pick him to play him.

You've forgotten Trent West who played a fantastic series of games for the cats after Vardy was put in cotton wool. Dawson Simpson will probably be rewarded with several games in 2012 aswell. I reckon Geelong may have a rotating door ruck policy in 2012 with what seems like 4 big men vying for the role in the seniors.

Cicjose

nah i think that Stephensen is going to be number 1 and will have support at times from West Vardy and Simpson who are all still very raw

Ziplock

Stephenson and Giles as no.1 and 2 rucks with redden as back up.

You heard it here first :P

Fyfe_gun

If stephenson doesnt play ruck he will slot in foward

nick1408

Obvisually I will be going with Bargain Ruck again.  At the moment I have a shortlist of McIntosh, Stephenson, Maric, Giles, Sellar, Reneuf and will be keeping an eye on Mitch Clark to see where he lines up.  The first four are my current picks but McIntosh may be moved out if he doesn't get time in the ruck during pre-season

Cicjose

Quote from: Fyfe_gun on December 09, 2011, 12:17:26 AM
If stephenson doesnt play ruck he will slot in foward

how will he play forward if the two talls are Hawkins and JPod???

Flemo

Trent West started to really show a bit and I can't see Stephenson getting a go before him. I believe Vardy has injury issues but if he is fit then I would think he would more times then not get a game ahead of Orren Stephenson as well.

Stephenson will get a game if West and/or Vardy are struggling or need a rest.

Jarrad Redden for Port Adelaide is struggling at SANFL level. He has shown a little bit but not enough to suggest even in the slightest that he will be ahead of Lobbe or Renouf. Lobbe was struggling as well before Port was forced to play him so I honestly believe Renouf is their number one ruck.

P.S as a Port supporter I wish we had Jack Redden :)

Sellar is a dud who has too many players ahead of him at Melboure. I have no idea why they drafted him. I don't believe Renouf can be played as a forward alongside Butcher. I think he can rest there but I don't believe he is an actual forward.

Bargain ruck

Obviously GWS is easy to look at and I would think Jonathon Giles surely will get a fair crack. Others that I'm curious about but havent heard enough yet Josh Jenkins, Jarrod Witts, Daniel Gorringe and Ayce Cordy.

So far I believe I will make my ruck Dean Cox, Aaron Sandilands, Jonathon Giles and a cheap forward/ruck. I have eyes on Goldstein and Mumford if my older rucks look like having too many injuries in the pre season.

SydneyRox

Never been a bargain ruck beliver, set and forget will always be the best way for rucks IMO. Worry about getting your rookies right in the elsewhere and let the big names look after your ruck division