thoughts on dean cox for 2012

past his prime
4 (66.7%)
ripe for 2012
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

DT Gun

Quote from: Ziplock on December 08, 2011, 02:50:24 AM
I agree with this to a degree. I can't see cox having a didak or lake like slide this year, infact I would be ridiculously surprised if it happened. However, I'd  be wary about starting any player Cox's age, with his years in the system, after as you said a 'career best season'. It's more likely than not he'll either average over 100, or close to it, Leuen I would be a little worried about picking due to Hudson, as you pointed out, but someone like Mcevoy is, as a premium ruck, a more valuable choice. Or Sandilands, based on his underpricedness. Cox sliding 5 points will hurt if someone like Mcevoy rises 5 points.

in saying that though, Cox slides 5 points and mcevoy rises 5, they dont really make or lose that much and Cox will average 102 and Mcevoy will average 95.

Ziplock

exactly, you lose 7 points, but you gain 10 points in cash to spend pre-season.

I mean, Mcevoy's just an example though.

*edit*
sorry, you gain 17 points to spend in preseason, but a 10 point net profit.

didn't explain myself well :P

Holz

Quote from: DT Gun on December 08, 2011, 02:21:09 AM
i hope people dont pick cox. Peoples reasons for not picking him are, 'he is getting old, the rise of nic nat, he is past his prime'

I think people know deep down he is the best, but are looking for a reason to justify picking a young up n comer.

personally even if he was 27 i wouldn't pick him, i dont care about his agre i just dont see any value in him. Even if i knkew he would keep his average i would be reluctant to pick him up, if i think a guy like burger could lift his average 10 points. Its the same reason why some people wont be picking up guys like murphy etc... if there was no salary cap i would pick cox

DT Gun

Im just saying Cox and Natanui are going to do exactly what they did this year in 2012.

And leuenberger now has to share the ruck with Hudson.

Cox if fully fit, should average around the same, same role, same fitness, same stratergy.

Leuey now will be sharing ruck with Hudson and resting forward more which = less hit outs.

Only rucks you should consider are Mcevoy, Cox and Sandilands. And if your crazy and wanna go a real hit and miss smoky, Mumford is your man. H Mac is your value selection and Giles and Stephenson are your benchies. Thats my rundown on the rucks.

1) Cox - Best by far
2) Sandilands and Mcevoy - Value Premiums who will improve
3) HMac - Cheap money maker
4) Giles and Stephenson - Bench Locks

Gotta Ruckman you believe should be on my list, Put your point forward and ill tell you why your wrong.

Holz

Everyone assumes Hmac will hurt goldy, but with the roos improving and hmac spending most of his time in the forward line means he should do quite well.

zach clarke could be a real smokie and kruezer is good value aswell.

Ziplock

I was surprised to see that Clarkes scores were really good with sandi back in the team. He could be worth a look at. Nic Nat could have another improving year, as seems to be his trend.

Jordan Roughead for a super smokie- no.1 ruck now possibly, with a 3rd year break out year on  the side. I probably wouldn't seriously consider him though unless I had some decent inside info, or he showed a fair bit in the pre-season.

Ryder fired late last year, and if essendon continue using him in that role instead of constantly flowering with their rucks he'd be a steal.

Mumford and Jacobs are both still relatively young (especially jacobs and could also improve)

Zac Smith for a second year break out, Fraser's another year older, just more ruck time for him

West (if he's closer to his original price, rather than current FF one)

Renouf maybe as a number one ruck.

Tippett maybe ....

that's about it (apart from those already mentioned), and a lot of those are scraping the barrel.

for non current premiums (less than 90 average), there's from that list that I can see improving to a premium  level- Nic Nat, Clarke, Ryder and maybe Smith.

chaosAD

Coxy going to be a unique this year due to his price being through the roof and the potential for NicNat to take a fair bit of ruck time off him! A year is a long time in football!

hardnut

true not a lot of love for him at that price, he had an unbelievable year and hard to see him matching it in 2012. Still I fully epect him to avg >95 and likely be a top scorer in rucks along with 211 and maybe Berger.

One thought that occurs to me is to consider H-mac early and get his value rise then trade to Coxy after rnd 11 when surely his price would have cooled but his scoring will still be excellent. This would allow me to have Jacobs who I think is massively underrated and WILL elevate inot the >90ppg in 2012...

Colliwobblers

Seems to be the case so far, have not seen him in any teams, yet you can bet a lot of people will get him in just before the season starts "just to be sure" I mean how much does the extra cost matter if he outscores every other ruckman all season?

It matters too much to me is my answer, I think sandi and burger are going to be close enough to the top ruckmans score and they are $60K and $70K cheaper respectively.

Cicjose

its not that we actually think choosing him at his price is bad or that his scoring is bad

its more that the gap between the super elite (Cox and Sandilands) is slowly being eradicated by younger folks

Cox turned 30 in August and Sandilands will be 30 at years end so they have a few years left then we wont have either of them

Now is as good a time as any to start planning for when they are both no longer in the competition

hardnut

Quote from: Cicjose on January 11, 2012, 12:12:23 AM
its not that we actually think choosing him at his price is bad or that his scoring is bad

its more that the gap between the super elite (Cox and Sandilands) is slowly being eradicated by younger folks

Cox turned 30 in August and Sandilands will be 30 at years end so they have a few years left then we wont have either of them

Now is as good a time as any to start planning for when they are both no longer in the competition

I sort of agree yet still expect Coxy and 211 to be 1/2 for avg in 2012. Cox will also top total points IMO, typically most of us pick the best player in each posi yet this year feel different with plenty of team not going in with Swan, Cox, Johnson, Scotland. Actually quite refreshing.

Andrew

Quote from: hardnut on January 10, 2012, 11:54:36 PM
One thought that occurs to me is to consider H-mac early and get his value rise then trade to Coxy after rnd 11 when surely his price would have cooled but his scoring will still be excellent. This would allow me to have Jacobs who I think is massively underrated and WILL elevate inot the >90ppg in 2012...

I don't think H-Mac will rise enough for that to be worth the trade. I hope H-Mac shows enough NAB Cup form to be worth picking but mid-priced rucks nearly always lead to a trade. I want to lock & load for the season with my starting rucks.

Quote from: Colliwobblers on January 10, 2012, 11:57:56 PM
Seems to be the case so far, have not seen him in any teams, yet you can bet a lot of people will get him in just before the season starts "just to be sure" I mean how much does the extra cost matter if he outscores every other ruckman all season?

It matters too much to me is my answer, I think sandi and burger are going to be close enough to the top ruckmans score and they are $60K and $70K cheaper respectively.

You've got me thinking, particularly on Cox who is in my team currently. Maybe he's not as much as a standout this year to the rest of the available premiums who you can save coin on. But I can see him backing up his 2011 with another dominant season. Tough call.

Colliwobblers

Andrew I agree cox is the one to have i think he will be #1 scorer but i'm not good enough to back myself to spend the extra $70K on one player and not lose out by more elsewhere in my team, if you know what i mean.

And same goes for scotland he is a lot dearer and taking the guys that  are a lot dearer makes the rest of your team harder.

I break the rule with swan, i'm a pie, he's a pie, i need a DT capt, he's a DT capt, it's just unnatural not to have him :)

Windigo

Bit of experience and up and coming talent it what I'll be going with.

So in other words Cox & Berger/Mumford.

I reckon it's best just to get two fairly good scorers in your rucks at the start and then just 'forget' about them for the rest of the year. Apart from the byes of course.

Holz

Quote from: Andrew on January 11, 2012, 12:52:32 AM
Quote from: hardnut on January 10, 2012, 11:54:36 PM

I don't think H-Mac will rise enough for that to be worth the trade. I hope H-Mac shows enough NAB Cup form to be worth picking but mid-priced rucks nearly always lead to a trade. I want to lock & load for the season with my starting rucks.

im pretty sure hmac will go up enough for at least a double trade, i dont see why people always say they wont a set and forget ruck spot. I like many people went Cox and Hmac last year and that worked out really well, it gives you time to work out who the best ruck truly is, unlike past years its no longer cox and sandi it could be burger, mummy, goldy etc... who are the top ruck mid way through the season.

I think the set and forget theory should end with the end of cox and sandi being the dominant DT rucks.