Jonathan Brown

Started by Ringo, December 05, 2011, 04:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

to be fair, I'm sure tferrier, holz etc. would have  posted a very similar explanation to what I myself did, I just got in there first since you referred to me directly. I was speaking for the most part for the majority of people who have 'locked' brown at this stage. Most people wouldn't be on sites like this at this time of the year unless they were serious DTers and did their research anyway, so it makes sense that nobody bothered pointing out the obvious.

It's like when people have ablett in their team, they're rarely going to justify it- he's an dt gun pure and simple, underpriced due to injury cloud in the start of the season, playing in a team that can only get better.

completely different situation, same principle.

DT Gun

Only one is a Super Premium
And one isnt a premium who is injury prone and was just recently badly injured again.. haha

Holz

While Zip has explained most of my resoaning for locking in brown, the reason i said lock him in when he got his injury, was unlike a hammstring injury or an ACL etc.. browns injury will do little if anything to affect his game ( it may make him more cautious which is a good thing). The fact he is 30 is a valid point but i actually see his injury as a postive, it has allowed his body to recover and i would say has extended his career. I would argue that he may be less injury prone and require less rest than most players on the wrong side of 30. As the article said its his best preseason in 10 years and i believe it most players have niggling injuries, and alot require sugery in the off season, brown doesnt.

Just another quick postive is guys like redden, rockliff, burger, rich etc.. are all improving and i believe brisbane will improve and should get more delivery. With clark leaving it could also mean that brisbane may look more to brown again.

So unless he injurs himself preseason i will have him as the first guy selected in my team and for the reasons above will likely have him in my team the year after.

When it comes down to it i think some desicions are a no brainer, if brown has a full preseason and he is coming off the form the article said i dont know why anyone would not pick him at the price he is.

Holz

Quote from: DT Gun on December 10, 2011, 03:44:36 AM
Only one is a Super Premium
And one isnt a premium who is injury prone and was just recently badly injured again.. haha

im pretty sure most people would agree there is alot more upside in brown than ablett. Plus not 100% sure what you want from a forward but i guy who averaged around 100 for that many years he is a premium. At worst you could call him a fallen premium but you look how he started last year before getting innjured. If he can reclaim some of that form (not saying he will) he could be  the top forward againt this year.

DT Gun

your only as good as your last year in my opinion. I dont care if he averaged 150 7 years ago

Holz

Quote from: DT Gun on December 10, 2011, 08:43:27 PM
your only as good as your last year in my opinion. I dont care if he averaged 150 7 years ago

it depends if injury was the reason or if it was a slump. His last uniinjured year he was a super premium, he is uninjured now. The important think is he is undervalued he doesnt have to average 95+ to be a good bye, anything 80+ is good and im confident he can do that.

charliesheen

must be a lot of BL supporters here :) 

These things you just gotta go with gut instincts, no point rationalizing it LOL!

I picked Adcock in '11, and he didn't even have that great of a preseason.  Now that I think about it, I don't know why I picked him, I'm just glad I didn't pick Everitt, LOL.

meow meow

You saw that Adcock has meow's backing. These things subconsciously work their way into your mind.

Ziplock

Quote from: DT Gun on December 10, 2011, 08:43:27 PM

we're not talking 7 years ago, we're talking just 2 years ago he had a decent average, then hampered by injuries. It's a logic like this which would have had you discount players like cox this season, or really any potential break out player...

DT Gun

a premium for me is a guy who can back up year after year of 18+ games at an average of 90

meow meow

Brown will do that in 2012.

DT Gun

a premium for me is a bloke who plays 18 games or more in a season at an average of 90+

Brown has done that what twice in his career?

He is a hit and miss forward that gets injured regularly

charliesheen

DT Gun using scare tactics so he can have J. Brown all to himself  ;D

DT Gun

Im just saying he isnt a premium.

He has a little bit of value in him yes, but he is def not a premium.

Pick him knowing that he will probably miss a few games and be up and down as brisbane will get some floggings in 2012

Holz

Quote from: DT Gun on December 11, 2011, 10:04:56 PM
Im just saying he isnt a premium.

He has a little bit of value in him yes, but he is def not a premium.

Pick him knowing that he will probably miss a few games and be up and down as brisbane will get some floggings in 2012

who cares if he isnt a premium ( i disagree though) your not paying a premium price for him. Its not like he is 500k+ and your deciding if a guy like cloke is a better pick.