Jonathan Brown

Started by Ringo, December 05, 2011, 04:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: tferrier18 on December 05, 2011, 08:50:45 PM
Quote from: Marcz on December 05, 2011, 08:10:47 PM
games since 2001... 22,16,15,14,14,10,22,21,22,16,10 not a lock for me...

Yeah but his averages since '05 (not including last year are 114, 140, 111, 100, 99 and 97.

Let's be honest and say that each year you probably punt on 1 or 2 mid pricers to break out and score like a prem. Most of the time they don't and you end up trading them out, without them having gone up all that much in value.

Even if Brown doesn't play a full season, he'll more than likely score like a prem up until that point so you'll be able to sideways him to a prem.

So, what's to lose? You get the security of a high scoring mid pricer (which is what you want out of a mid pricer) and if he goes down, you sideways trade (trading is usually expected of mid pricers anyway) and if he plays a full season then you get a prem for next to nothing.

- From '05 he's averaged 110, so he should be priced roughly at 550k-580k. There's great value in Browny, even if he doesn't last I reckon.
u can shape it anyway u want, watch... 30 yo kpp, bad team, history of back, hip and groin injury, 182 of 242 games

Ringo

Whilst the stats can not lie with injury neither can his super coach average.  So basically you have a prem scoring forward priced at $390k who will allow a sideways trade when injury strikes so what have you to loose. You will have the benefit of a high scoring forward with an increasing price. If injury free may be a keeper.  Expect Brisbane to also bounce back this season if injuries do not strike too severely.

charliesheen

Marcz is forever scarred from picking Higgins in '11.  Brown is not the worst pick, but I wouldn't say he is a lock.  Saying that, I think the changes to SC in terms of marks on the lead make him appealing again.  You would pick him because of the purple patches he can go through.

I remember people were saying Pav was too old after scoring 30, 35, 87 in preseason.  He still ended up being the 4th or 5th highest scoring forward in '11.

I guess with so many fallen premiums in '12 it makes finding a replacement through a sideways trade an easy task if it does fail.

meow meow

People were almost threatening to kill others this year, and screaming "DON'T SIDEWAYS TRADE". But now it's okay to do since it's J. Brown.

RiOtChEsS

??? actually i was just making a valid point

Quote from: meow meow on December 05, 2011, 11:20:18 PM
People were almost threatening to kill others this year, and screaming "DON'T SIDEWAYS TRADE". But now it's okay to do since it's J. Brown.

tferrier18

It's fine to sideways a player if they're at a prem price...because there's probably not gonna be many more options above brown (assuming he reaches prem scoring/price)

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: tferrier18 on December 05, 2011, 11:24:55 PM
It's fine to sideways a player if they're at a prem price...because there's probably not gonna be many more options above brown (assuming he reaches prem scoring/price)
??? interesting strategy

charliesheen

You can pretty much rationalize any pick and if it comes off you end up looking like a genius.  At the end of the day, its about getting the team balance right rather than trying to find faults in isolation.

Where you decide to take those risks will be an individual thing.  There are not hard rules in picking a team, except don't pick Higgins.

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: charliesheen on December 05, 2011, 11:40:53 PM
You can pretty much rationalize any pick and if it comes off you end up looking like a genius.  At the end of the day, its about getting the team balance right rather than trying to find faults in isolation.

Where you decide to take those risks will be an individual thing.  There are not hard rules in picking a team, except don't pick Higgins.
solid advice 8)

tferrier18

Quote from: Marcz on December 05, 2011, 11:29:10 PM
Quote from: tferrier18 on December 05, 2011, 11:24:55 PM
??? interesting strategy

I guess what I was trying to say was, if Brown's price increases to 520k or so and he then gets injured and you have to trade him out then there's nothing wrong with sidewaysing him to another fwd prem around 520k because there's barely any fwd prem options as it is.

RiOtChEsS

yeah i get that but picking a guy that u think u will need to trade other than a rookie doesnt sit right with me... hence the games stat ;)

Speculator

He must be selected. He is a premium at a low price. He did quite recently play 3 full seasons in a row. Last year he smashed his face in, it's not like he has dodgy hamstrings. Lock and load

demon_spud

If he goes prem price (increase of 130k or so) and gets injured then the benefits of picking him over an untested rookie are greater, a rookie you might pick up on may only increase 100k if they have a sintker, Coad, Dixon, Bewick,(yes all mine)

If he injures early then you can trade him for a rookie on the rise or a mid on fire.

If...as he will be scoring big points to get there, points wins you matches, points helps you win league, points..well you get the...umm point.

Of course its a matter of wait and see how he goes in the NAB and whether his leading with his head technique changes.

charliesheen

QuoteYeah but his averages since '05 (not including last year are 114, 140, 111, 100, 99 and 97.

looking at those stats they seem to be on the decline  ;D  I will probably pick him anyway lol!

J. Brown, mark on lead +5, go you good thing!

Be worth having him on your team, because he is good to watch.   I don't really wanna watch Port Adelaide games again LOL!

DT Gun

im with marcz here.

I value each trade to be worth 150-200k.

If jono brown is not going to average 90 and be a keeper, he needs to increase in value by 150-200k otherwise it is a waste of a trade. If you think he is going to do that, then it is a good selection.

But even is he does become a keeper with an average of 90, he misses 6.5 games a season through injury. So the way i see it, You pick him to upgrade to a fallen premium because he is a good scorer, but unreliable. I think picking him early, upgrading him to stevie J when he drops in value is a great plan.