Ruck Setup in 2012

Started by Speculator, December 02, 2011, 11:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What sort of ruck set up are you considering for 2012?

2 Premiums 2 rookies i.e. Cox, Sandy, Big O, Giles
17 (53.1%)
1 premium, 2 midpricers, 1 rookie i.e. Cox, West, MacIntosh, Giles
5 (15.6%)
2 Premiums, 1 rookie, 1 rookie MPP (with a fwd MPP link), i.e. Cox, Sandy, Giles, Elton (MPP) plus Kruezer (MPP) in FWD
1 (3.1%)
Any other combination
9 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: January 01, 2012, 11:51:09 AM

DT Gun

hawka im comparing the scores when they were both playing in the same team as you are telling us all that smiths scores were always higher because he was the number 1 ruck and fraser was the 2nd.

And yes he scored 2 of those hundreds while fraser was out.

Ziplock

Bargain ruck Fanplanner squad in the Dream Team competition coached by Zarts. Salary cap left: $145,200.

Bryce Gibbs, Brendon Goddard, Heath Shaw, Brett Deledio, Matt Suckling, Matthew Buntine, Tomas Bugg
Michael Talia, Elliot Yeo

Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury, Gary Ablett jnr, Marc Murphy, Joel Selwood, Chad Wingard
Tom Mitchell, Dylan Shiel

Hamish McIntosh, Jonathan Giles
Jarrad Redden, Jarrod Witts

Lance Franklin, Adam Goodes, Nathan Fyfe, Travis Cloke, Matthew Pavlich, Israel Folau, Jason Porplyzia
Ahmed Saad, Dayne Zorko

So, in this scenario I've gone Hmac rather than Kreuz. For no particular reason, not that it really matters since I have 145k left over anyway.

This ruck line is really cheap, as you can see, however, I've managed to pick it up for like less than 400 000 from memory, which is less than like cox by himself.

Considering McIntosh is good for an 80, probably not much more due to sharing ruck duties with goldy, and considering Giles, if as we've said before, is in the same build as smith (and going by his NAB scores) is good for a 70-80, you're potentially putting out a 160 point ruck division, which is probably about 35 points less than going two premium rucks.

however, I've managed to really splash the cash around because of this.

Gibbs, Goddard, Shaw, Deledio, Suckling all averaged over 90 last season, and imo all of them are more than capable of pushing that averaged up in 2012. Then I'm fielding 2 rookies, but I've essentially got a 5 premium top tier backline there- more than most teams would be playing with.

The reason is, because normally you would be detracting from the mids. But, these mids have Swan, Pendles, Ablett, Murphy and Selwood. Like, that's ridiculous, with the 6th mid fielding being like Shiel, Mitchell or Wingard. That's a really expensive, and really heavy hitting midfield. Those first guys are probably worth 110+ easily, possibly up to 3 of them, maybe more, pushing close to 120. Then the 6th mid should be pulling a 70-80 average.

Rucks we've discussed.

Fwds have 5 of the most expensive and biggest DT scorers in the game, being supplemented by an underpriced Porps, mature bodies with Zorko/ Folau, and highly touted saad.

If you pick your bargain rucks right (like any combination of, for instance this year, of Petrie, Mcevoy, Goldstein, Smith, Leuenberger, Jacobs, Mumford) although of that list only really Smith + Petrie/ Mcevoy and maybe Jacobs/ Goldstein to a lesser degree would be of equivalent price to Hmac/ Kreuz + Giles, you would have been set pretty damned well in 2011.

DT Gun

id go hmac and a premium but not giles

Holz

zip you picked my ruck combo loving the look of hmac and giles. if they can give you 150 each week i would be happy. That mid is scary i personally plan on loading up the backline if hartlett is a back with all the extra cash and go Gibbs, Deledio, Hartlett, Goddard, Grimes, Shaw, Rookie

Cicjose

not a bad plan holz considering how horrible the backmen were last year

DT Gun

Quote from: Holzman on December 10, 2011, 02:39:15 AM
zip you picked my ruck combo loving the look of hmac and giles. if they can give you 150 each week i would be happy. That mid is scary i personally plan on loading up the backline if hartlett is a back with all the extra cash and go Gibbs, Deledio, Hartlett, Goddard, Grimes, Shaw, Rookie

1 trade - Upgrading H Mac
1 trade - Upgrading Giles
1 trade - Trading out Hartlett when he gets injured
1 trade - Trading out Grimes when he gets injured

or

Pick 2 premium ruckman to set and forget!

then pick premium backman who arent injury prone!

Then pick more rookies in the mids because thats where the money is!

Chopps

Zip that midfield is way to stacked, use some on the ruck :D

Ziplock

Quote from: DT Gun on December 11, 2011, 01:58:09 AM
Quote from: Holzman on December 10, 2011, 02:39:15 AM

1 trade - Upgrading H Mac
1 trade - Upgrading Giles
1 trade - Trading out Hartlett when he gets injured
1 trade - Trading out Grimes when he gets injured

or

Pick 2 premium ruckman to set and forget!

then pick premium backman who arent injury prone!

Then pick more rookies in the mids because thats where the money is!

regardless of where you field your cheapies/ rookies, you're going to need a trade to upgrade them. It doesn't really matter where you put them, if you've picked the best ones available. Hmac is good for 80, gilles is good for 70-80. At their price, that's pretty solid- we don't really have much of an idea of the scoring potential of many other rookies/ cheapies like that.

all this BS about a weak ruck line is completely pointless (to a degree anyway). Like, it's a weak ruckline if you've just randomly tossed in two 60 avg. players for no particular reason, or two injury prone rucks with no solid back up. But, if you've got the cover, and your choices are legit, if you've used the cash to drop premos elsewhere, then there's no big deal having a ruckline a little weak.

Chopps

i reckon going 5 strong in the mids is overkill you have a better chance generally of getting the cash cows out of the middle, not always though

Ziplock

that was a hypothetical team chops :P

I was just showing what strength you can get with a bargain ruck :P

Chopps

ah makes sense, could defiantly do the job.

Ziplock

like theoretically you could drop one or two of those guys to rooks and just load the front and backs.

DT Gun

Or you could Pick 2 keepers in the rucks, Load up on your back n forward a bit and play more rookies through your mids, cos you will get better cows in the mids than in Back or Forward

Ziplock

or, you can play 2 cheapies in your rucks, Load up the backs and fwds completely, since, as you said there's not a lot of value, then just go two super premiums like pendles/ ablett in your mids and then do the rookies as you suggested.