Main Menu

Altitude Training

Started by Cicjose, December 02, 2011, 03:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cicjose

TheMailman

I think it effects the mental state of the players more than the physical state

Ringo

Here are the comments from Brown and Rockliff after returning from Arizona. Only the Lions Leadership group(Brown, Rockliff, Black, Merrett, Adcock) went to Arizona

Whilst some of it may be mental there appears to be huge physical benefits according to Brownie. (Maybe Simon Black may be a smokey for some SC Teams)

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/126743/default.aspx

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/126746/default.aspx

Cruiseon

It's quite a proven science and more than a mental thing. Distance runners have been doing it for many many years. What I'm less sure about is the timing of doing such training in November almost 10 months before a footbal team needs to peak.

I realise that the altitude training enables a superior fitness base to then enable a heavier load during the subsequent pre-season training but what Collingwood did last year with Swan and Jolly (lets forget Brown) I think will be the next development. Either assisting rehab or a spurt of high intensity training mid-way through a season really provides an advantage. It made the world of difference to Swan. 

Legs

I believe altitude training has many benefits. The ability to perform under pressure, not just the high impact it has on the cardiovascular system through physically pushing oneself, but also the maintaining peak performance with somewhat lack of oxygen.

Also noting: forcing oneself to make the right decisions mentally when challenged in such harsh conditions. All these factors have their place on the field. :)

Ziplock

lol, I live in mountains, and once the girls soccer team from my old school went down to the plains to play a game, and one of the chicks from the other school as like- hey, you guys live in the mountains? You must all be super fit and really good runners etc.!

and our chicks were like- dude, we live 300m up a mountain... really not that much of a difference in oxygen saturation...

Legs

Quote from: Ziplock on December 11, 2011, 04:59:56 PM
lol, I live in mountains, and once the girls soccer team from my old school went down to the plains to play a game, and one of the chicks from the other school as like- hey, you guys live in the mountains? You must all be super fit and really good runners etc.!

and our chicks were like- dude, we live 300m up a mountain... really not that much of a difference in oxygen saturation...

Yup 300 mtrs is not much of a difference at all. I think it has more to do with the height you trek in such a short period if time. Most people who live in the mountains no matter the altitude usually drive down and up lol. Not hike to and from.