Stephenson as 2nd ruck

Started by BGK, November 25, 2011, 05:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGK

I like everyone else is thinking he may be good for a bench spot this year, especially as Vardy may be a little under done. I'm wondering if anyone knows much about him.

Cicjose

"Orren knows that we wouldn't have drafted him if Brad Ottens was still playing," Wells told AFL.com.au.

"But we thought we needed an experienced ruckman to come in and complement what our young players will be able to deliver next year."

Stephenson only began playing Australian Rules in his late teens after switching from rugby.

After starting out with Ballarat league club Redan, he progressed to North Ballarat's VFL team and has enjoyed a decorated career with the Roosters, winning three premierships and appearing in numerous state teams.

He will now be a mentor and support for emerging Geelong big men Trent West, Dawson Simpson and Nathan Vardy.

"We could've drafted another young ruckman and watched him develop, but we think Orren has earned his chance as a mature player," Wells added.

"It was a big decision, considering he's 29, but he's healthy, hasn't had any major injuries, and has played a lot of VFL games against other listed AFL players."

nostradamus

l think the big O and Giles will be aot of peoples bench rucks this season

Cicjose

only if he gets picked round 1 and im still happy to have Longer on the bench for the time being

BGK

Quote from: Cicjose on November 25, 2011, 06:27:40 PM
only if he gets picked round 1 and im still happy to have Longer on the bench for the time being

The only problem I see with Longer is Hudson.

Quote from: nostradamus on November 25, 2011, 06:15:05 PM
l think the big O and Giles will be aot of peoples bench rucks this season

At this stage I will probably have that exact bench.

Cicjose

i may look at getting him if i can justify that i wont be let down at bye time

theflyinghawk

surely you wouldnt draft a 29 year old if you didnt intend to give him games!

CuStArDaRm

Yep the big O and giles for me at the minute on the bench. locked and loaded, lets hope fantasy can sought out a good solution for these fcuked up bye weeks

nostradamus

Quote from: CuStArDaRm on November 26, 2011, 12:37:49 AM
Yep the big O and giles for me at the minute on the bench. locked and loaded, lets hope fantasy can sought out a good solution for these fcuked up bye weeks

yeah it'll be interesting to see what (if anything) they come up with for the bye weeks...... l'm hoping they allow us to trade bye listed players for the week, and that they then revert back the following week - l think l may be dreaming a bit there  :-\

Voldemort

Quote from: Cicjose on November 25, 2011, 06:27:40 PM

Longer, in my opinion, won't be much of scorer in his 1st year. He's competing against two proven ruckmen and one of them is at the top of his game. I think the Lions will be trying to get him right for the future, maybe he'll get a few games, but his scoring will be pretty low

DT Gun

even the noobs will have giles and big o, thats how easy it is

PowerBug

Quote from: DT Gun on November 27, 2011, 01:57:20 AM
even the noobs will have giles and big o, thats how easy it is
I'm a n00b and i'm not planning on having both of them. :P

DT Gun

if you dont have them then you are an idiot. Who ya gonna pick instead, Longer? You have to have giles and big o, or you are going to be behind

TheMailman

who does it matter who he picks?

it's a 4th ruckman nobody should really care that much

If there were cheaper non playing rucks than Stephenson I would probably take them as my 4th ruck.

RiOtChEsS

of course it matters, if u get a guy thats playing u have depth aswell as a pay day