stay away from number 6

Started by browny_wce, November 22, 2011, 03:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browny_wce

here's one for ya guys and you all thought 13 was the cursed number
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/126344/default.aspx

seems like quite a trend, even in DT sense, something I will look further into when the draft rolls around and then DT starts up

i had Reece Conca this year and think I picked up Gary Rohan at some stage last year aswell

also the fact that this draft pcik is owned by Port I may look to avoid it
Anyone think it might be Dom Tyson???

ossie85

Chris Yarran looks like bucking the trend! Interesting read :)

TheMailman

I'd be confident of both Yarran and Rohan to make 200 games in their respective careers

They will both take a bit of time DT wise as well

j959

bit of a fluff piece me thinks ...

i think it's just the reality that it's not a top3 pick, so at pick 6 you get the player with the best talent available but probably isn't cream of the cream, top tier ... probably has a few issues that a club will take a gamble on as the reason they weren't taken that high ... or you just play it safe and get a 'meat and potatoes' player ...

no1 busts are obviously more publicised/well known ...

Ziplock

no.1s havent really busted in forever though.

like, of the latest no.1s, watts, kreuz, scully and swallow are the only ones that haven't really fired.

which makes since, since those are the last 3 picks, Watts is a KPP while scully/kreuz have been injury affected.

like, Gibbs, Murphy, Lids, cooney, goddard, hodge, Nriewoldt, even Fraser,

I don't really see how you could class any of those as 'bust'  ???

ossie85

Kreuzer, Scully and Swallow are all superstars in the making IMO Zip, and I think Watts will be a very good player (not what they were hoping for)

Goddard and Deledio took a while.

TheMailman

Players take time!

Regardless of what sport

All the No.1 "busts" of the last ten years aren't really busts at all, they just need time

Hence why I think Swallow and Kreuzer will be great.

Not sure about GWS so I couldn't be sure that Scully has a huge future  :P

browny_wce

Yarran is deff an exception, even Sampi looked the goods at stages

but DT wise as a pickup, we could maybe look elsewhere then the number 6
lets hope it changes this year

bowyanger

Ive wondered a few times what mitch thorpe is up to nowadays
I reckon Lids was great from day 1. Im not a Tiger fan but put him  in a team that has been in the top 8 a fair bit and he would be mentioned in the same sentence as Ablett, Franklin, Judd, Pendles etc in my opinion. Only a few years ago he was all they had, now theres a bit more of a contribution from others such as push up, cotchin, Jroo, Nahas, Martin etc. Maybe because he is in the backline there isnt as much hype? He carried that team in the Wallace days at such a young age and copping a heavy tag.
He is a very consistant player.

Holz

I think the fact its going to port is a reason to pick whoever it up, i would say its probably the easiest team to break into. GWS and GC will be hard with all the rookie talent, whoever port pick up i would be surprised if they don't play at least half the season.

I will be looking at all the rookies picked not from GWS or Gc with teams first pick especially from the bottom 9 teams.

valkorum

Freo buck the trend here

1997 - James Walker (Fremantle, 1998-2007, 151 games, 16 goals)

He also won 2 x grand finals...... sprints

Cicjose

that's because freo are awesome  ;D

bowyanger

Quote from: Holzman on November 22, 2011, 06:22:02 PM
I think the fact its going to port is a reason to pick whoever it up, i would say its probably the easiest team to break into. GWS and GC will be hard with all the rookie talent, whoever port pick up i would be surprised if they don't play at least half the season.
+1

browny_wce

Quote from: valkorum on November 22, 2011, 06:22:41 PM
Freo buck the trend here

1997 - James Walker (Fremantle, 1998-2007, 151 games, 16 goals)

He also won 2 x grand finals...... sprints
your exception is James Walker...wow  ???

theflyinghawk

conca will be a star, will have a good year this year too

was thrown into the middle to play an inside role after no pre-season and then burnt out halfway through, surely couldnt have been expected to have a great year dt wise!