anyone else worried by the number of GWS midfielders?

Started by Jimbo_11, November 20, 2011, 10:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo_11

not sure if this is relevant, but i am getting extremely concerned about the number of midfielders that GWS are going to have.
firstly, the have the unconracted players, Luke Power, Callan Ward, Rhys Palmer, Tom Scully, James Macdonald
then they have the pre listed players, Dylan Shiel, Curtly Hampton, Adam Treloar etc.
and finally this draft is predominantly midfielders Stephen Conglio, Dom Tyson, Will Hoskin-Elliot, Chad Wingard plus at least 3 others.
they are also going to have a number of ruckman Jonathon Giles, Billy Longer, Dean Brogan
thats about 12+ midfielders trying for 5-7 spots in the midfield
im am concerned as to how they are going to fit all these midfielders into the one team, and if they rotate a lot, is it really worth getting the gws rookie midfielders because they arent going to be playing every round?

ossie85

It is definitely a concern. The Suns rotated quite a bit, but as far as cash cows go, I don't think it will make much of a difference.

We get a whole week to consider our picks in the week between the Giants/Swans match and the rest.

Justin Bieber

Yep, I've been thinking of avoiding a few of their players because of midfield stacking. Like Ossie said, could be a rotating policy like the Suns had in place.

Although, Wingard and He-Man can both play on Half Forward Flank as well so take that as you will. May perhaps get them a few more games than others because of this little versatility. But I think they may only nab one of these two.

The amount you get probably depends on price and how many rookies you are going to use in the midfield. If you are going for 5 rookies all up in the midfield (3 on field, 2 on bench), can understand jumping on 2-3 (3 may be overkill). If you're going for 4, 2 should be fine (e.g Pricey rookie such as Coniglio/Tyson + Shiels/Treloar who are cheap). if you are only planning on 1 rookie on field or none, think only 1 GWS rookie midfielder is the way to go.

This is what I would do although many others may see it differently :).

Torpedo10

The only GWS players i'm thinking of getting is Tyson,Wingard and Giles. I'm only going to take two of them to my team.

Voldemort

Nicely spotted, now I look at it, they will be STACKED. They will definitely play most of the top 5 picks and they have to play a ruckman. I would keep checking the NAB cup to see their tactics. A really relevant thread to many, cheers for bringing it up  ;)

elephants

Quote from: ossie85 on November 20, 2011, 10:42:10 AM

It is definitely a concern. The Suns rotated quite a bit, but as far as cash cows go, I don't think it will make much of a difference.

We get a whole week to consider our picks in the week between the Giants/Swans match and the rest.
What's the go with that OSS. Do we get a partial lockout or something?

ossie85

I assume so, but don't know for sure. Last couple of years we've had a Thursday partial, so hopefully....

Should stack up on Sydney players and go for the R1 prize lol

elephants

Haha yeah but then be in trouble for the rest of the season. I'm sure there will be some that'll do it ;)

DicingApple

LOL! That would be a nice little earner.......... if only Sydney and GWS were the only teams that actually play round 1. I would assume any scores accumulated from that match will just carry over to the following week for the rest of the round 1 matches. Sorry to be such a wet blanket  ;)

Nails

Luke Power = plays up forward or down back, you can cross him off the midfield worry list.

Played up forward/down back for most of the season this year.

CuStArDaRm

It will be the same situation as Gold Coast this year. Just need to find those couple of players you know will play 20 gammes like  David Swallow.
Thank God I didnt load up on Gold Coast players like other spuds, just the couple you know are gonna play most games and are fantasy relevant. Giles is the only player I have from GWS so far surely he will be number 1 ruck.

CuStArDaRm

Quote from: Nails on November 20, 2011, 07:03:26 PM
Luke Power = plays up forward or down back, you can cross him off the midfield worry list.

Played up forward/down back for most of the season this year.

Ture but Luke Power is a mid fielder. Thhink he will play more mid than he did under Voss-the-toss

elephants

Quote from: CuStArDaRm on November 20, 2011, 09:16:29 PM
It will be the same situation as Gold Coast this year. Just need to find those couple of players you know will play 20 gammes like  David Swallow.
Thank God I didnt load up on Gold Coast players like other spuds, just the couple you know are gonna play most games and are fantasy relevant. Giles is the only player I have from GWS so far surely he will be number 1 ruck.
Currently i have

Giles (third ruck)

Dylan Shiel (6th Mid)

Thomas Bugg (7th Mid) dpp and supposedly should be playing.

Mohr (8th Back) going to be playing half back apparently

That's it. There is more value beside Giles.

At GC there were many, Stanley, smith, Swallow and Mckenzie all provided good fantasy returns for their starting prices.

Jimbo_11

Quote from: elephants on November 20, 2011, 09:30:40 PM
Quote from: CuStArDaRm on November 20, 2011, 09:16:29 PM
Currently i have

Giles (third ruck)

Dylan Shiel (6th Mid)

Thomas Bugg (7th Mid) dpp and supposedly should be playing.

Mohr (8th Back) going to be playing half back apparently

That's it. There is more value beside Giles.

At GC there were many, Stanley, smith, Swallow and Mckenzie all provided good fantasy returns for their starting prices.

i had stanley smith and swallow this year :D

yeh i agree, im thinking ill get wingard if he goes to port at 6 because they desperately need him,
only gws players im looking at atm are butine, giles, shiel and maybe one of the top 5 because they will all probably play at least the first half of the season

elephants