Heppell v Hartlett

Started by DicingApple, November 15, 2011, 02:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the better backline option?

Heppell
Hartlett

DicingApple

After finishing 21054, or top 7%, in my first season of DT, with a team i pretty much threw together a few days before lockout, i have decided to put some time into planning my team better next year. I made the typical rookie mistakes ie. burnt trades for the sake of trading, started with too many mid-pricers etc. This year i have decided to loosely base my team on the "guns n rookies" strategy. So my team would go something like this (note; i havn't put it together on FP yet so will be adjustments made with salary cap obviously).

B: 3 guns/1 mid/rooks
M: 3guns/1mid/rooks
R: 2 guns/rooks
F: 3guns/1mid/rooks

Have only started looking at my backline so far and have Gibbs, Goddard, Deledio as my premo's. They will be locked in, no questions asked as i don't really see any other backs that i feel comfortable about setting and forgetting this year. I need one mid pricer with the potential to step it up and have cut it down to Heppell and Hartlett.

While Heppell will only be a second year player i beleive he is more mature than most newbies. He is durable, an incredibly smart footballer and seems to attract the ball. He will have a full pre-season under his belt and most likely spend more time in the mid-field as he will be developed as a Luke Hodge style player. Downsides i see are, second year blues (always exceptions to the rule) and the fact i am extremely biased, i mean EXTREMELY!!!!!

Hartlett looks to be close to the best, if not THE best player at Port. He too demands plenty of footy. I know a lot less about this guy than Hep but what i do know is, he will be a priemium at some point in his career (no doubt they both will with time). Downsides i see with Hartlett are, he plays for Port and he is prone to soft injuries.

Love to hear what you guys think of these two and also happy to be be made aware of other suitable players around this price-tag.

cheers  :)

Voldemort

put up a poll Apple

and Heppell by a mile  ;)

Ziplock

mmmm Dapple, it's a tough one tbh

if it makes your choice easier, I had a dream last night that heppell only averaged 74 in 2012.

I personally really liked the look of Heppell for 2012. Like, to become a premium he barely needs to break out, if he bumps up his averaged by 8-10 points, like Trengove or Martin did this year, good job.

I'm thinking he's a definite possibility and contender... that being said, I think Hartlett edges him out over scoring ability at this stage. He'll be primed for a break out year next year, but at his price, as a mid pricer, you would really be wanting a close to 100 avg... and with his soft tissue injuries as you said, and playing for port...

that's actually a really tough one to split. At this stage, I would probably call Hartlett by a hair, but really NAB performances will sway me either way (I'm also looking to split these two for 2012)

me

heppell, won't get injured and will probably play more mid time to go with slutting it across the backline + u dont have to worry about injury

why is hartlett listed as a back anyway? from what i saw of port this year, he played 100% game time in the midfield

DicingApple

Yep, that is one of the cons i forgot to mention in my original post, Hartlett may well be listed purely as a mid and the decision will be made for me LOL! As a pure mid i see far better value than Hartlett for that price, not the case in the backline though.

stew42

Another who could be added to this list is Houli...

bunyips

Matty411

I've got Heppell in mine atm mainly for his durability and also the fact he doesn't have a rnd 13 bye. He seems a pretty confident kid in a rising team so hopefully won't suffer the 2nd year blues.

Hartlett will be a gun and if he has an amazing preseason it will be hard not to pick him.

Heppell for me atm...

DT Gun

Quote from: me on November 15, 2011, 03:02:46 PM
heppell, won't get injured and will probably play more mid time to go with slutting it across the backline + u dont have to worry about injury

why is hartlett listed as a back anyway? from what i saw of port this year, he played 100% game time in the midfield

Touch Wood

egosbar

gibbs is no lock , he is mid only i think

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: me on November 15, 2011, 03:02:46 PM

when he hurt his shoulder he played across half back for 5 or 6 games instead of going straight in for surgery

elephants

Not considering either at this stage but Heppell if I had to choose.

Windigo

I'd go Hartlett.

But considering his injuries. He'd be a big risk.

But I reckon both Heppell & H.H will score around the same next year.

DT Gun

Quote from: Ziplock on November 15, 2011, 02:38:47 PM
mmmm Dapple, it's a tough one tbh

if it makes your choice easier, I had a dream last night that heppell only averaged 74 in 2012.

I personally really liked the look of Heppell for 2012. Like, to become a premium he barely needs to break out, if he bumps up his averaged by 8-10 points, like Trengove or Martin did this year, good job.

I'm thinking he's a definite possibility and contender... that being said, I think Hartlett edges him out over scoring ability at this stage. He'll be primed for a break out year next year, but at his price, as a mid pricer, you would really be wanting a close to 100 avg... and with his soft tissue injuries as you said, and playing for port...

that's actually a really tough one to split. At this stage, I would probably call Hartlett by a hair, but really NAB performances will sway me either way (I'm also looking to split these two for 2012)

Damn i was considering him, oh well to the black list you go Heppel! No that doesnt help

Ziplock

you sure, I think that's some really solid evidence :P