World 15 Discussion

Started by ossie85, November 15, 2011, 12:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

But luckily there's a 1000 other trading games to be played hawk....

Boomz

Agree with most of what Hawk is saying but seems we are in the minority...

Maca24

Its not like there is no trading period though... we will have a month at the end of the year.
If you all REALLY want a mid season trade week then go for it.
I don't even care anymore  :-X

bomberboy0618

Quote from: Maca24 on December 11, 2011, 07:49:01 PM
Its not like there is no trading period though... we will have a month at the end of the year.
I agree.
A key point you are all missing is that we will be focused on SC and DT during the year, so we wont be exactly putting in the amount of time a week we are putting in now. If you really want a trade period that is ever running, start your own game. A continually running trade period would lead to collusion, and a couple of teams ripping apart the rest.

Boomz

Quote from: bomberboy0618 on December 11, 2011, 08:07:31 PM
Quote from: Maca24 on December 11, 2011, 07:49:01 PM
I agree.
A key point you are all missing is that we will be focused on SC and DT during the year, so we wont be exactly putting in the amount of time a week we are putting in now. If you really want a trade period that is ever running, start your own game. A continually running trade period would lead to collusion, and a couple of teams ripping apart the rest.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion... People aren't going to be trading big name players... It's not like the trade games that weren't serious.

meow meow

Well, that settles that then. BB has the player i was going to try to lure, and it sounds like he is against trading so now I don't care if we just wait until the end of the 2012 season.

Someone should do another trading game like we did after trade week this year. It would be heaps better this time around, as we are more familiar with the players who have just been drafted. It will give everyone their trading fix.

bomberboy0618

Quote from: meow meow on December 11, 2011, 08:15:37 PM
Well, that settles that then. BB has the player i was going to try to lure, and it sounds like he is against trading so now I don't care if we just wait until the end of the 2012 season.

Someone should do another trading game like we did after trade week this year. It would be heaps better this time around, as we are more familiar with the players who have just been drafted. It will give everyone their trading fix.
Who do you want?
I agree, but didnt we try a trade game around 6 months ago that didnt work out? I enjoyed that, but some werent taking it seriously.

meow meow

It doesn't matter who I want, because there will not be a chance to trade for them. I'll keep quiet for 12 months and hope that they don't do much in 2012 and have a crack at them next year.

bomberboy0618

Quote from: meow meow on December 11, 2011, 08:24:59 PM
It doesn't matter who I want, because there will not be a chance to trade for them. I'll keep quiet for 12 months and hope that they don't do much in 2012 and have a crack at them next year.
Damn it :P
Its not like I have any good players :P.

meow meow

Just a thought - If people were really desperate to see how the trading thing would work, we could split this into 2 competitions.

One where trades are allowed often (how often is to be decided), and one that only has a trade period at the end of the season.

It would allow us to see if regular trading would ruin the game or not by comparing the competitions. We would start with the exact same lists.

If people aren't interested in the trading version, someone can have their list of selected players taken in the non-trading version. There are a lot of assistants waiting to have a crack at the senior coaching position.

PowerBug

Quote from: meow meow on December 11, 2011, 08:51:27 PM
Just a thought - If people were really desperate to see how the trading thing would work, we could split this into 2 competitions.

One where trades are allowed often (how often is to be decided), and one that only has a trade period at the end of the season.

It would allow us to see if regular trading would ruin the game or not by comparing the competitions. We would start with the exact same lists.

If people aren't interested in the trading version, someone can have their list of selected players taken in the non-trading version. There are a lot of assistants waiting to have a crack at the senior coaching position.
Clever idea, but please don't make things more complicated than they are already.

meow meow

I could complicate an apple.

The trading version lists wouldn't include the players picked in this year's National draft. Those picks would be available to be traded, as well as the picks in the PSD/rookie draft. Then the drafts would take place once the trading period is closed for a while. There would be limitations on when trades can be done still, but with more trade periods throughout the year. Maybe every 4 weeks.

Maca24

hawk_88

Quote from: ossie85 on December 11, 2011, 07:26:12 PM
But luckily there's a 1000 other trading games to be played hawk....

Yes there are.

I'm not even a full coach, just an assistant helping C4 so I don't have a huge stake in the outcome of this either way. I'm more of an unbiased observer (but just to be safe go islanders!).

I am just giving advice based on my expertised in designing games, as well as 5 years at university studying the dynamics of "play" (when being fancy we call it ludology). That includes, sport, card games, board games and video games as well as the psychology of competition and "play" both in humans and the animal kingdom.

Now just because I have studied that and done it professionally doesn't necessarily mean I am right, I'm not trying toot my own horn. I just think the idea of a prolonged fantasy competition is really cool and want to see is succeed.

I understand you are looking for a long term game with progressive evolution, as opposed to rampant trade seen MLB, essentially emulating the AFL as much as possible. My advice is aimed at helping this game reach that as much as is possible. The only way I can see it sustained is to make some concessions.

My preference is to allow all out trading, but it doesn't have to be to that extreme. You can put a lot of restrictions in place. You just to have to look at the AFL dynamic so see how it fails to translate fully though. To rebuild a team in the AFL system takes 3-5 years, if successful. That doesn't just include recruitment, but all of the training and game plans/tactics as well.

Take out your ability to train and set tactics and you essentially have one point of control, recruiting. However, statistically speaking, where you are picked in the AFL draft isn't a great indicator of future success in the AFL. I can't remember the report I read this in, but the linear correlation isn't very high. So what you are left with is very little ability to impact the success of your team beyond this initial draft (if you have even been running your team for the entire draft).

There are a range of things you could introduce into the off-season drafting process that could improve the dynamics of the system, but it still wouldn't solve the issue of ongoing psychological engagement I talked about before.

Everyone is currently in the action phase of the game, the honeymoon phase if you will. If you think long term as you guys want to, issues will arise with the current system.

Quote from: meow meow on December 11, 2011, 09:02:22 PM
I could complicate an apple.

The trading version lists wouldn't include the players picked in this year's National draft. Those picks would be available to be traded, as well as the picks in the PSD/rookie draft. Then the drafts would take place once the trading period is closed for a while. There would be limitations on when trades can be done still, but with more trade periods throughout the year. Maybe every 4 weeks.

You could run a single year like this and see which is better and continue on with the better one. Testing things is also the best option, hence the AFL's use of the pre-season cup. Gives you evidence.

Ziplock

If collusion is the main concern here, just do like a 5game bar, so if you trade a player they can't be re-entered into your team for another 5 weeks. That'd seriously stop people from trying to collude. Make all trades public, and give a lockout to when trades can happen (let's say one day before dt/sc lockout), then all trades for the week are posted, and if anyone disagrees with a trade, we take it to a vote and if there's a 2/3 majority then the trade is vetoed.

I mean, that way nobody is going to be getting away with trading off like ablett for toy or something :P