World 15 Discussion

Started by ossie85, November 15, 2011, 12:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

*looks*

Yes he is, I assumed he was playing! Wines has got him anyway :)

Nige

Our reserves dominated.  ::)

ossie85

ossie85

Flagging this for an idea.....

I think its clear that we have 3 pretty weak teams in the comp at the moment (New Delhi, Wellington, Beijing) - and I don't want to be too alarmist because the two bottom teams last year (Dublin, New York) have shown significant improvement this year and they can dig out of the holes.

Wellington and Beijing have some good youth, but New Delhi seem to be unable to field a team in positions at the moment.

I'm mostly just thinking out loud....

But maybe a merger between two of these teams.... and a new license granted to another team?

Nige

It doesn't affect my team too much. Might put us closer to the bottom of the ladder, but that's just being negative on my part. I like the idea though. If the coaches of the said clubs are open to it and everyone else is in agreement, I can't see any reason why it can't work out.

Nails

The biggest issue would be working out how the new club comes into play imo

I don't want to lose Dane Swan (if he's playing in 2014) to some new spud start up team.

From what I understand ideas are like select 5 players they can't take from us (based on other XVs discussions)

I don't want any players to leave my club, entire first 18 or so are stars.

It'd be kind of sad to see the two spud clubs merge and become a great team knocking more deserving teams out of the 8

Also what happens to the extra 40 players that are left behind?

Ringo

The Idea sounds good in principle but when we look at practicalities may not become clear cut.

When is it proposed to happen now or working towards season end.

Are we going to maintain an 18 team competition or just go with 17 and the bye.

Can you post New Delhis current list as it has not been updated but from the team in the thread they have a reasonable list from which to field a full team.  Maybe the coaches are not working together to work it out.

If two teams are to combine you will need a system to pick players to be retained by merged entity. 

Will the remaining players then be available as part of National Draft.

If we are to maintain an 18th team following merger how will the 18th team select players to be competitive.

Personally if New Delhi are not competitive during the season maybe you have to use discretion with priority draft picks that they can use or trade for experienced players.

Would prefer to see the competition remain as is but work out some way to make weaker teams competitive.

AFEV

The idea is alright but there will be some serious hurdles along the way...

- Between NDT and BB there are 3 coaches, who coaches the merged club?
- What happens to the 40+ players that are left behind as a result of this merger
- How do you make sure the new team is competitive without totally screwing over the established teams

You can make it so that the first 5 are off limits, but honestly if you make the 6th best player available from each club the new team will just waltz into the top 4 and a lot of people will be pissed.
Using the Revs as an example, we could protect Birchall, Heppell, Cloke, Giles and Liberatore. This still leaves Greene, Gaff, Brodie Smith, Christensen, Menzel, Fisher, Cannon McKenzie, Dempsey and Josh Jenkins unprotected. Not to mention a bunch of second stringers like Koby Stevens and Arryn Siposs.

Now, I love NYR but can admit we don't have the most stellar list - yet there is a fair amount of quality to pick from there.

Other issue that I think would arise is that every club would protect their first ruckman which would screw the new team.

The other route you can take is loading them up with draft picks (which they could trade) but I daresay that wouldn't be enough to make a competitive team and is a major slap in the face to the teams that are already struggling.

Honestly the only reason New York and Dublin have been able to climb out of their respective holes is because they traded so hard. You could argue that BB and NDT did too but these teams claim to be building young squads yet they traded out Sidebottom, Zorko, Rockliff etc.

NDT I think is salvageable with their current list (not sure the list on their thread is 100% up to date) however Beijing has a bit of work to do. They are in great hands with Jroo though and Jroo is one of the most active traders in all of the XVs so I reckon he can pull them out of it.

FisherSaints

I wouldn't mind the idea.

Torpedo10

When I came in as co-coach with FS it was really hard as not many wanted to trade with us. With the trades I did get done I got in young players like Bastinac & Blair. It's really hard after some of the trading that happened to NDT to ruin our team.

DazBurg

wouldn't it be easier for them to improve there list at EOS
if they are that bad they going to get the best picks and if they already have a raft of youngsters they are banking on then they should be able to trade away there new draft picks for something half decent?

the skill involved in the worlds is making the right choices on your trades

example

not many are going to trade out there #1 player especially when say it's the likes of pendlebury or cotchin etc who score massively and have 10 years left

but the skill comes in how they aquire the younsters or middle rung who are about to break out

and like most are saying here alot have worked hard to build themselves up as contenders and build themselves up out of the bottom why should the worst teams get to leapfrog others duw to poor mangement

Holz

I think we shouldnt underestimated the power of high draft picks.

I got pick 1 19 and 20 this year.

I turned 19 + caddy + 20 + 30 + 38 + 1 + Scott.D.Thompson + Junk into

Mitch Clark + Michael Hurley + Alex Rance + Travis Boak + Jeese Hogan

so really i lost one good player and a specualtvie young player + all my draft picks and turned into a bunch of young guys with lots of potential.

DazBurg

Quote from: Holzman on April 08, 2013, 05:21:32 PM
I think we shouldnt underestimated the power of high draft picks.

I got pick 1 19 and 20 this year.

I turned 19 + caddy + 20 + 30 + 38 + 1 + Scott.D.Thompson + Junk into

Mitch Clark + Michael Hurley + Alex Rance + Travis Boak + Jeese Hogan

so really i lost one good player and a specualtvie young player + all my draft picks and turned into a bunch of young guys with lots of potential.
exactly and thats what i mean by if they are that bad this year they will get all the good draft picks
so if they trade well at EOS should be able to turn it around for next season
like you and NYR have  ;)

Justin Bieber

Holz you're just a good trader. Those other guys who are at the bottom now suck at trading and throw their team away.

Nails

FFS

Boak was meant to be a dud

Why'd he come good this season?

Granted 2 easy games hopefully he returns spud.